Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #1381
Juanjo_NY
Banned

Oddometer: 4,452
that looks so weak next to the Ram mounts.!

I think if you try Ram you'll think twice about using the GoPro mounts again.!!

this is my ram-set up.. tough as NAILS!
Attached Images

Juanjo_NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #1382
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post

My only experience was only with one RAM mount and it broke almost immediately when I attempted to lock the dog bone into place on it. Structurally weak at the middle of the piece on that particular Ram mount. Cost me about $32 bucks or so a few years back, so I never ordered or tried out any others. I never replaced the broken part on that mount, but I still have the ball section and U-bolts for the handle bars of the mount. Maybe someday I'll drag it out and try to repair it for use.

This is my all time favorite Ram Mount though. :-) :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/6372528371/

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #1383
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,821
RAM mounts are the way to go.

never had one break on me.

all the guys i ride with have numerous RAM mounts with no problem.

maybe you had a bad one. i would be sure that they would be good with a return if that happened.

also check out the RAM mounted mirrors by Neduro...

http://www.doubletakemirror.com/

thanks for posting all the RAM mounts for the GoPro. i need more.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #1384
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer: 1,372
BMW S1000RR-- check
Arai Corsair V Helmet-- check
BMW Double F full leather racing suit-- check
AND
iPhone 4S with Optrix HD mount system to capture it all on video-- check

Somebody was gonna do it sooner or later. Now you have a reason to get that new iPhone 4S

http://www.optrixhd.com/home
Old 12-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #1385
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
What will be interesting in all the camera gadgets for cell phones and the cameras shown, is the possibility of the government agency actually following through to make all such items, including hands off phones and such illegal in vehicles, as they consider them distractions. This current recommendation may seem remote to get into actaul law, given the popularity of such devices and all, but never say never, as control can be a real issue when it comes to dictating what we can do when it comes to public safety issues. It may be really interesting as to how such future laws may actually spill over to motorcycles too and actually impact the ability to use a camera, phone or GPS (although I already hear that the GPS will be exempt) on such. Already here, you can't use a cell phone in school zones, so this latest recommendation to remove all such items from vehicles may not be so unheard of as to actually passing in the future, even for motorcycles.

I really like all sorts of mounts, especially the DIY ones that are adapted to suite many different functions or riding applications. Most are really an investment though and maybe not as cheap to purchase as they should be. It is always interesting to see a mount that can be adapted/modified or easily replicated for specific uses. Although I am no big fan of using helmet mounts, myself, they do indeed cushion quite a bit and help in reducing bounce or flop during filming. I like mounts that are easily swapped to other sports or uses and don't require major effort to assemble or disassemble when using.

It is really interesting as to how good camera phones and even the smaller digital cameras have come along. Just a few years back they were pretty useless for use on a motorcycle, bike or such. Not so sure how advanced they have become in filming water sports or other activities that have a high impact potential though.

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #1386
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Well, at least when it is mounted in this mount, you won't be making calls on it. But as far as I, a motorcycle rider, am concerned, banning cell phone usage while driving is a good thing.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #1387
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchmeister View Post

Somebody was gonna do it sooner or later. Now you have a reason to get that new iPhone 4S

http://www.optrixhd.com/home
Very interesting and not surprising. After looking over the site and watching the videos I suspect they will sell a lot of those.

For sure they are going after GoPro and some of that market share.
http://www.optrixhd.com/comparison

Personally I paid to much for my 4s to hang it off my bike and with the LCD back on the GoPro I prefer to use it for now. But you never know what the future will bring. Especially since I always have my phone with me. In fact I upgraded from a 3gs to the 4s mainly for the improved camera and faster CPU.

Jon...
Old 12-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #1388
Luke308
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
With our first kid expected in less than 3 months my wife has been thinking about getting a video camera for family use. I would love it if I could swing a Go Pro Hero 2 for catching the kids first steps and for playing around with on the motorcycle and other hobbies... however, never using one I don't know how user friendly the Go Pro's are for the wife's point and shoot requirements. The other one I was looking at is the Kodak Playsport.
Whatever we get I'd like 1080p, and the longer the battery life and memory capability the better. The wide 170* FOV, and time-lapse mode the Go Pro offers is another big selling point for me. She would want the LCD playback screen which bumps the price up considerably....

Any suggestions would be great!

Luke308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #1389
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
For catching the "kids first steps" I would recomend a more traditional camera that takes video. As good as the GoPro is I personally would not want to trust it to capture "once in a lifetime" images of my kids.

Jon...
Old 12-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #1390
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke308 View Post
With our first kid expected in less than 3 months my wife has been thinking about getting a video camera for family use. I would love it if I could swing a Go Pro Hero 2 for catching the kids first steps and for playing around with on the motorcycle and other hobbies... however, never using one I don't know how user friendly the Go Pro's are for the wife's point and shoot requirements. The other one I was looking at is the Kodak Playsport.
Whatever we get I'd like 1080p, and the longer the battery life and memory capability the better. The wide 170* FOV, and time-lapse mode the Go Pro offers is another big selling point for me. She would want the LCD playback screen which bumps the price up considerably....

Any suggestions would be great!

i wouldn't get the GoPro for home videos. not very good in "low light" and with the fish eyes lens, it can make indoors look nauseating.

but it's great for motorcycle and ski/snowboard videos!

the FLIP cams are good for home videos. i thought they went out of business but you can find them around for cheap or other brands have made the same design as the FLIP.

http://support.theflip.com/en-us/home
Old 12-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #1391
munchmeister
Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
For catching the "kids first steps" I would recomend a more traditional camera that takes video. As good as the GoPro is I personally would not want to trust it to capture "once in a lifetime" images of my kids.

Jon...
And unless you have the LCD backpack on it, you won't know if you got the kid or not. And I agree with the point about the GP has a wide angle lens, which will not make for good "first step" photos. The wide angle on the GP is quite distorted, really. Great for moto shots and the great outdoors, but you (and the little Mrs.) would not be happy with GP baby shots. You'd be better off for the baby shots using your smart phone.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #1392
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,125
Now, if you want baby shots from the babies pov, then the gopro with chest harness or headband is the biz.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #1393
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Now, if you want baby shots from the babies pov, then the gopro with chest harness or headband is the biz.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #1394
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post

Jaunjo, nice array of RAM mounts you have there. I have a bunch of their stuff too...mostly just arms and various GPS/phone holders.

Being inspired by many vids on here, including a recent one you put up, playing on a beach type area on your dirtbike, with camera facing backwards, I decided to look into getting a set up for doing just that..and got the RAM camera mount and the GoPro adapter to go with it.

I have used my Gopro on many dirt rides....attached to my helmets, both on the side and my new favorite spot, attached to the visor. As long as I am ducking my head, it stays safe.

What the heck did you do to your's to break the case?? I want to avoid doing the same.

Some of my vids..the ones I can post on here anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/user/dougz73

Some of my crap..don't mind the mess. I clean it up, but it keeps coming back.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:35 AM   #1395
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,079
Hey guys, fairly new to my GoPro HD. Shot a few tests and thought the video was excellent but what am I missing when I upload them to youtube?

I tried two shot at 720@60fps, thinking that would be the best for motion. They look clear as a bell on my computer but are somewhat pixelated and blocky when uploaded. Looks like a highly compressed .avi. I even tried one on Vimeo but it doesn't look much better if at all.

I didn't do any post production other than trimming the ends and adding a fade-in and a fade-out.

I know there are GoPro videos on youtube that look much better than mine do. Is there something I can do to improve the video? (These are tests of angles and harness, pretty boring stuff... no wild animals or crashes or anything...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_89ar...1&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt1i5...eature=related

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is online now   Reply With Quote