User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
alexrider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Tell us about your longest journey with a Caponord

Tell us about your longest journey with an Aprilia Caponord and don't forget problems and modifications that you made .
alexrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
About 10 seconds sitting on one in the dealership.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
markas
Small-time Explorer

Oddometer: 318
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472660 , not my report , but it was fun to read and says about some problems with caponord
markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Capo Rick
Please understand...

Oddometer: 1,462
Talking

3800 miles over 7 days.

Problems-

Warped brake rotor. ( my fault for improper installation of new pads )

ate a rear tire faster than I thought! 90 mph in Utah in July = rear tire wear

Scratched paint - Tip over at a gas station. who's fault do you thing that was!?

the point is: BE NOT AFRAID, MY SON

I'm planning a 4000+ trip for 2010 on my Capo.

I ensure you that these bikes are reliable. The issue is for those that are shy to do their own service, Dealers are not numerous.

"Nobody ever sells their bikes at Guzzi rallies........ But the upside is that you may get into a good fight and have the opportunity to have sex with some-being of a different species."-Pete Roper
Capo Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:30 AM   #5
sqrly
Registered squirrel

Oddometer: 24
While not a Capo, I did 7136 miles (GPS) in 12 days leading up to Labor-day weekend on a Futura. I had planned on doing 19 days but I was running low on funds and the chain was rapidly. I traveled through IL, MO, AR, TX, NM, AZ, NV, UT, ID, WA, OR, CA, nv, ut, WY, NE, IA and back to IL in that order. I documented one Ironbutt 1245mi in 20 hrs. Only traveled about 30 mile on gravel and about 3500mi was freeway. I stayed 4 nights in motels, 2 nights and my uncles and 6 nights riding and napping at rest areas. I rarely stopped for long, if at all, but I was having fun and that is all that matters.

To prepair for the trip, I installed...
Dunlop roadsmarts
oil (Moble 1) and filter (Hiflow brand)
K&N airfilter
Westco battery
Johns rectifier
Yamaha starter relay
metal fuel disconnect
Garmon ZUMO 550
Nelson-Rigg tankbag
cigarette lighter plug to charge my cell phone
AF1 H-pipe and Taylormade exhaust, too loud but sounds great.
Then I road 1245 miles to AF1 (Aprilia dealer) and had the "05" map installed and the idle adjusted (Best thing I did).

I wish I had installed a new chain before the trip cause the last 2k from California back to Illinois was quite worrisome. I did however learn that bar/chain oil for chainsaws works great! I had to refill the clutch master once and was getting low just as I was arriving home. I am going to install the Evoluzione clutch slave cylinder that I bought for my now wrecked RSVmille. And while on the road, the needle on my Tach spun on the shaft so it reads incorrectly.

I took along the original rectifier, starter relay, spare oil filter and a crap load of tools.

I only post in here cause the Capo and the Futura share all electrics and engine along with many other parts.

sqrly screwed with this post 12-27-2009 at 02:56 AM
sqrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:36 AM   #6
alexrider OP
n00b

Thnx guys . I know that this bikes are very good, that's way i bought it.
Maintenance and repair- restoration i do myself for all my bikes all friends bikes.

I saw on this forum that are some problems that needs to fix as quick as possible, such: brown connector, rectifier and coils.

My bike doesn't have any problems, but i want to fix this issues.

My brown conector look good, rectifier has 9000 km but i think it was repaired and no coil problem.

Charging system show me 13.40 v and 13.50 at 4000 rpm with all lights

How can i remove these treaths ( brown connector i saw on a website)?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:18 AM   #7
sqrly
Registered squirrel

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrider
Thnx guys . I know that this bikes are very good, that's way i bought it.
Maintenance and repair- restoration i do myself for all my bikes all friends bikes.

I saw on this forum that are some problems that needs to fix as quick as possible, such: brown connector, rectifier and coils.

My bike doesn't have any problems, but i want to fix this issues.

My brown conector look good, rectifier has 9000 km but i think it was repaired and no coil problem.

Charging system show me 13.40 v and 13.50 at 4000 rpm with all lights

How can i remove these treaths ( brown connector i saw on a website)?
Disassemble the brown connector and "Tin" the wires and re-assemble it. Get the aftermarket rectifier from John (bykepantr on AF1 apriliaforums) and you should be good to go. Use a high quality AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery, I use Westco but there are other good ones too.

I have not had any issues with the coils yet, but it seems that there are other that will work just fine. I also recently noticed that there is another Capo owner (over at AF1 apriliaforums) that is working with a manufacture to get reasonable cost replacements.
sqrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:24 AM   #8
ohiodualsporter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
I've done a "New England" tour from Ohio. We wet out through Pa to the Delaware WaterGap and up into Ny. Then over through Conneticut, up into Mass and NH. We did the usual tourist stuff, (Mt Washington area) then went across Vt to Burlington. Taking the ferry across Lake Champlain to Ny and into the Adorondacks near Lake placid and Sarinac lake. A drive upto Mt White mountain and eventually back to Ohio. It was a nice 5 day trip.
The Capo performed great. Although 90mph on the Ny turnpike really sucked up the fuel riding 2 up. We did the last 715 miles in one stretch. I love that bike.
I've also done more trips to the Smokies-Deals Gap area than I care to count, not to mention Wash DC and 2 trips to Wellsboro Pa for "Capos in the Canyon". The bike has seen its fair share of Michigan too. (Both the lower P and the upper P)
Other than finding a reputable dealer nearby, (I just found a new one yesterday) I've had no problems with the bike.
2008 Kawasaki Versys
1981 Honda Xl500S
!986 Husky 510
!974 Yamaha TY250
1974 Suzuki TC185 Ranger
Too many others....
ohiodualsporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
Capo Rick
Please understand...

Oddometer: 1,462
Honda Goldwing rectifiers are a popular 'fix' for some of the early Aprilia failures. Check out this thread

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=170181

What year of a Capo did you get?

"Nobody ever sells their bikes at Guzzi rallies........ But the upside is that you may get into a good fight and have the opportunity to have sex with some-being of a different species."-Pete Roper
Capo Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:56 AM   #10
alexrider OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo Rick
Honda Goldwing rectifiers are a popular 'fix' for some of the early Aprilia failures. Check out this thread

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=170181

What year of a Capo did you get?
I have the 2002 capo an it has 29 000 km.

alexrider screwed with this post 12-28-2009 at 05:08 AM
Old 12-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,196
Not my Capo, but a guy I met on the way to Alaska. He travelled from Arizona alone and rode with me from Lake Muncho to The Hot Spot and back to AZ.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,524
I just took a new-to-me '06 Capo on a 4000 mile, six day run. About 100 miles of dirt and the rest paved.

New set of Shinko 705's installed prior to starting and still look good but the front howls like a banshee at higher speeds.

New front brake pads and rotors but rear replacement rotor hadn't yet arrived so rear brake was in sad shape.

AZ, NM, OK, KS, MO, IA, MN, WI, SD, ND, WY, CO, UT

Only complaint is the mechanic who put on the tires over-torqued the rear axle nut and trying to get it loose to adjust the chain was a major chore (at least the first time). The chain and sprockets are pretty worn and due for replacement so I'll catch them when I pull the rear for the new rotor.

Had Catfish program the ECU last month when I had the bike in San Francisco and got around 44 mpg with constant 80 mph all day cruising - a VAST improvement over the 30 mpg it was getting when I bought the Capo two months before.

First impressions - overall the ergos were pretty good although not great for standing. I pivoted the handlebars slightly forward and that helped with standing a lot. The engine ran like a dream although the ride is a little buzzy (but I'm coming off a shaft-drive, V4 Honda ST1300 so, anything but a Goldwing would feel buzzy). Stock seat felt good for long days but knees felt a little cramped (despite having only a 30" inseam). The Shinko 705's ran well and still look good but are loud. I'm spoiled by having shaft-drive so having to mess with the chain was a bit of chore but, once the axle nut issue was resolved, adjustments only took about 5 minutes so not a big deal.

Center stand - the previous owner had a center stand on the bike (that's a plus) but it is a bear to get it on the center stand (definitely a minus).

Side stand - the side stand is the stupidest thing I've ever seen and the bike leans so far over that (being a bit short of inseam) I can hardly wrestle it upright after filling the tank with gas! I ended up JB welding a block of plastic to the base of the stand as a temporary fix bc I got tired of hauling it upright but am definitely looking for the euro-stand.

Definitely get the ECU reprogramed with one from Catfish (http://www.endorphin-express.com/capo/maps.html) as it brings the engine to life and really vastly improves the experience.

BTW, current total mileage on the bike is 40k miles (it was at ~33k when I bought it three months ago).

ravenranger screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 11:50 AM
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,123
I rode an 03 Capo for 3.5 years 45k miles, rides from PA, VA, WV, NC, TN, TX, NM, CO and AZ, all long trips 2up with wifey.
At 45k miles, just 4 miles from home, I went down and insurance company wrote off the bike. RIP!!!
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #14
catfish
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrider View Post
Tell us about your longest journey with an Aprilia Caponord and don't forget problems and modifications that you made .

Hmmm ... I guess I missed this thread the 1st time ...

In 2006 I traveled ~5500 miles in 27 days, visiting friends and family; California, Nevada, Southern Utah, Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, lots more of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, & back to California. 2002 model. A coil failed in Colorado, but it was on a side plug so it ran good enough to continue. Bought 2 new JCI coils at AF1 in Texas and got my good fuel mileage back.

I'm doing that ride again in September & October, but will be adding a leg to Louisiana & Mississippi for more friends and a 40th high-school reunion. Staging a new rear tire at AF1 for the return leg. 5-6 weeks this trip.

113k miles so far. All the usual fixes. See AF1-Caponord forum for details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenranger View Post
I just took a new-to-me '06 Capo on a 4000 mile, six day run. About 100 miles of dirt and the rest paved.
Had Catfish program the ECU last month when I had the bike in San Francisco and got around 44 mpg with constant 80 mph all day cruising - a VAST improvement over the 30 mpg it was getting when I bought the Capo two months before.
Definitely get the ECU reprogramed with one from Catfish (http://www.endorphin-express.com/capo/maps.html) as it brings the engine to life and really vastly improves the experience.

BTW, current total mileage on the bike is 40k miles (it was at ~33k when I bought it three months ago).

Hey, I remember YOU! WOW, you definitely like to travel more miles per day than I do! My butt is whimpering just thinking about it!

Thank you for the glowing re-mapping report Raven. I hope you enjoy many more miles on your Caponord.

Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
ravenranger
rave

Oddometer: 1,524
Hey Catfish -

Yep, the remapping was awesome and worth the trip and every penny.

BTW, if you put the Shinko 705's on your Capo, you probably won't need to do a mid-trip tire change - just a thought.

As far as miles per day goes, on my ST, I'd just be warmed up at 250, feeling good at 500 and start to fidget at around 750 miles (yep, I'm one of those crazy LD riders) but the last 250 was quite do-able. With the Capo, I found myself fidgeting at about 500 and was ready to dismount by 750. I definitely need an alternate foot position and I'm planning to mount some forward pegs but, I think that will do it bc the saddle was fine.

Otherwise, she was quite comfortable and capable as a long distance ride.
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote