ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #136
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Scott,

What do you see in this area? The Dixie map shows the Magenta tracks as roads, the Red track is the hiking GWT. What is not clear is how road s 1297 & 554 connect to any thing?

I think there are places on the hiking GWT that are actually 2-tracks that their map shows as single track.
Those roads take you to the trail heads.

On your " Dixie Forest track " at the intersection of FR 154/162, FR 162 starts out nice for a few miles then starts to climb with rather large boulders as a road bed. This will take you, not me, up to the top of Boulder Mnt. If I really need to climb Boulder Mnt i'll take FR 178.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #137
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Jerry,
I emailed you a .pdf of the map I posted earlier.

Mike
Old 10-08-2011, 02:04 PM   #138
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
On your " Dixie Forest track " at the intersection of FR 154/162, FR 162 starts out nice for a few miles then starts to climb with rather large boulders as a road bed. This will take you, not me, up to the top of Boulder Mnt. If I really need to climb Boulder Mnt i'll take FR 178.
You totally lost me.
What is "Dixie Forest track"? Do you mean my file "Dixie Forest Map"? It doesn't show these roads?
Can't find 154, 162, or 178 on my Dixie Paper map. How about hand drawing tracks and post?
Not trying to climb any mountains, trying to find through roads. Can't find any peak called "Boulder Mt", just a mountain range.
Cant find a FR 178? Find 177 and 1782.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #139
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You totally lost me.
What is "Dixie Forest track"? Do you mean my file "Dixie Forest Map"? It doesn't show these roads?
Can't find 154, 162, or 178 on my Dixie Paper map. How about hand drawing tracks and post?
Not trying to climb any mountains, trying to find through roads. Can't find any peak called "Boulder Mt", just a mountain range.
Cant find a FR 178? Find 177 and 1782.
Yes, i ment Dixie map.
154 is the Posey Lake rd from Escalante to Loa/Torrey. The main road. From your tracks so far looks like the Griffin Top road (140) will "T" at 154.
About half way up is 162 which is a very rough road up to the top of Boulder Mnt, a large Plateau. 178 is farther north which will take you up to Boulder Mnt and beyond to Browns Point. Both 178 and 162 will bear east from 154. 162 will loop to the main road up on Boulder Mnt.

Sorry, but I am gps stoopit and unable to give you a map.

I'll post a pic or two.

George
Old 10-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #140
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

North of Escalante on 154 on the way to Torrey.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #141
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Looking south on 154. 140 is also a sweet road. 140 will dump you out south at FR17 ( Main Canyon rd ). You have it on your tracks.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #142
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

I have turned off 154 and onto 178. This is the best way to get up top of Boulder Mnt. Here you can see the hiking trails. 178 turns to 1781, same road, and will take you to Browns Pt and Chokeberry Pt. Elevation well over 10k, and great views.

Not sure where or if the ohv trail on sign goes anywhere.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #143
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

This is on Griffin Top road, 140. All pics taken on the Aquarius Plateau. One of my favorite places to be.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #144
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Sorry, but I am gps stoopit and unable to give you a map.

I'll post a pic or two. George
Pictures are great!

In a previous post, it sounded like you can open the .gpx files, perhaps with Mapsorce?

If so, it would be a lot quicker if you can use the names of the Tracks in the files. I have now found 154, 162, ect. you talk about.

The place of interest is along the eastern edge of Boulder Plateau, closer to Hwy 12

Jerry.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #145
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Jerry,

I see, now you're paying me back for all that stuff I posted yesterday. Just when I catch up to your track posts, you post new updates, and I'm behind again!

Some review:
- Your "GWT 000" track duplicates what I already had (see attached).
- GWT 001 is ok, though I think it departs GWT from what "my" map shows.
- The Southern 25% of GWT 002 does not follow any existing road or trail as far as I can see. My track (attached) which is pretty close to yours does follow existing roads.
- At my waypoint "STEEP!", it looks like possibly a down only path (heading south), since that's very steep and looks torn up. Not sure why you would want to go that way since the "GWT Motorized" track looks like a super coll way to go.
- I added a track "GWT 002 Alt2 which follows real roads near your GWT 002 track. On your track, there is no road between my waypoints NoRoad1 and NoRoad2. You track goes up a very steep mountain there.
- Good luck with GWT 004. Take your trials bike!
- I added a new track "Crossover1" which more closely follows the map Quota posted.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #146
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Scott,

Try to keep up if you want to ride with the experts!

First can I assume your review was of my last Dixie Forest Map from post 134?

If so GWT 000-007 is the hiking route per Mike's map and we really don't care except for me how close can you ride to the non-motorized sections. GWT Motorized is the only Track of real interest and am waiting for your GE analysis from e-mail.

Interesting that the Dixie map shows trails where you see nothing but who cares.

Lastly, you forgot to attach but really waiting for your new stuff from Mike's map plus would like your view of Post 135 where map doesn't make sense.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #147
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
First can I assume your review was of my last Dixie Forest Map from post 134?
Yes

Quote:
If so GWT 000-007 is the hiking route per Mike's map and we really don't care except for me how close can you ride to the non-motorized sections. GWT Motorized is the only Track of real interest and am waiting for your GE analysis from e-mail.
Do you mean me looking at Quota's scanned map? My above and below comments consider what I saw on that map. My new "Crossover1" track looks closer to the line on that map than your/my "GWT Motorized" track in that area, but the shape of the curves in on the "GWT Motorized" track looks more correct, so I'm not sure what's going on there. The only explanation I have is that the Quota map is not to scale in that area. Most other places the GWT lines on that map match up with our tracks pretty well (except where the hiking trails are).

Quote:
Interesting that the Dixie map shows trails where you see nothing but who cares.
When there are thick trees, GE is less useful. I look for meadows and other clearings to see if there's a road or trail. This is one of the big weaknesses of GE. And it's one more reason I love the desert!

Quote:
Lastly, you forgot to attach but really waiting for your new stuff from Mike's map plus would like your view of Post 135 where map doesn't make sense.
Actually, I accidently posted way before I was done researching and typing, for tonight anyway. My tracks and waypoints file for today 's comments is attached.

This file includes a bunch of gas stations along the way. There are many more, but these are the ones closest to GWT as best as I can tell. I verified that each one is/was a real gas station that was in business somewhat recently (within the past ~4 years).

Just North of Torrey, my earlier tracks are pretty close to the line on the Quota map (track "Torrey 1" in your file). After about 25 miles north of Torrey things get messed up. I have yet to find a clear road through an 8 mile section up there. I'll study that some more when you start asking questions about that area.

I'm not completely done with the Quota map, so I'll probably have more to say in the next few days.

I probably missed one or two of your questions. If I did, just re-post them and I'll try to answer early or late Sunday.

Below is the Quota map overlaid on GE with a bunch of our tracks on top of that. You can see some things line up well, and others seem to have scaling problems around map 117, 112, 113, 105 106.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx GWT HogWild Stuff 111008pm.gpx (73.0 KB, 46 views)
Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #148
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quota map overlaid on GE...
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #149
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Here is a pic at a kiosk at Tropic Res. Notice the trail # for the GWT. GWT001. Same # in a pic I posted earlier. I know i'm slow, but appears yall are following the GWT001 from Sand rd/hwy 89 on up to the Aquarius Plateau. Sound right??? I enlarged the pic to see detail better. Hope pic helps. How much of the red line is hiking and or motorized, I don't know.
I'm guessing if it has a square block with #, must be motorized??

Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #150
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
Do you mean me looking at Quota's scanned map? My above and below comments consider what I saw on that map. My new "Crossover1" track looks closer to the line on that map than your/my "GWT Motorized" track in that area, but the shape of the curves in on the "GWT Motorized" track looks more correct, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Yes per e-mail, Quota is Mike. My guess is that 20 eaars ago they just hand drew the map which is why the shap is good bot locations is off. Main roads may have shown on theri base map but not jeep roads

When there are thick trees, GE is less useful. Yes I know but I suspect Dixie also hand drew stuff not located by GPS.

Just North of Torrey, my earlier tracks are pretty close to the line on the Quota map (track "Torrey 1" in your file). After about 25 miles north of Torrey things get messed up. I have yet to find a clear road through an 8 mile section up there. I'll study that some more when you start asking questions about that area. I had same problem with the Mapsource. I will order a Fishlake forest map tomorrow.

Below is the Quota map overlaid on GE with a bunch of our tracks on top of that. You can see some things line up well, and others seem to have scaling problems around map 117, 112, 113, 105 106.Again obvious it was hand drawn with no existing roads on the base map they were using.
Look at tracks on post 135 in GE?