ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #151
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Another with different detail. Notice at bottom concerning Crawford Pass down to Deer Springs. I was assured by people at the Kanab Grand Staircase- Escalante Hq that it is passable but may have a locked gate. Inquire at Deer Springs ranch.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #152
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Here is a pic at a kiosk at Tropic Res. Notice the trail # for the GWT. GWT001. Same # in a pic I posted earlier. I know i'm slow, but appears yall are following the GWT001 from Sand rd/hwy 89 on up to the Aquarius Plateau. Sound right??? I enlarged the pic to see detail better. Hope pic helps. How much of the red line is hiking and or motorized, I don't know.
I'm guessing if it has a square block with #, must be motorized??
Thanks, and yes square blocks are road numbers on Dixie forest map. In this area we already had it figured out but this confirms. Do you have any more Kiosk picturres?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:58 AM   #153
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Another with different detail. Notice at bottom concerning Crawford Pass down to Deer Springs. I was assured by people at the Kanab Grand Staircase- Escalante Hq that it is passable but may have a locked gate. Inquire at Deer Springs ranch.
Yes, I was told by local rancher last week that rancher locks gate during hunting season but if you find someone they will unlock for non-hunters.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #154
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Not sure if this helps? Taken on Hwy 12 about 7 miles south of Torrey. I think this may be to trailhead only, not confirmed by me. Road heading south.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #155
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
My guess is that 20 eaars ago they just hand drew the map which is why the shap is good bot locations is off.
The map from GWT.org that I was using before the quota map did not have a scaling problem. Things lined up much better with that one. But the quota map has additinal info and detail that is quite helpful.

Quote:
I will order a Fishlake forest map tomorrow.
Late last night I found a way through. I had to use all my special tricks, but in the end I got it. BUT, some of the roads I found look like they may not have been used in years. It might be a bit tricky following them. A few of my latest tracks for that area are attached.

Quote:
Look at tracks on post 135 in GE?
Your 1789 track looks like a real road. It degrades a bit the further south and east it goes. The east end of that track ends at the top of the plateau area. There are switchbacks going down (or up if you're going north/west), but they may be pretty aggressive on a motor vehicle. I guess someone has to see it in person to know for sure. Track 002 does "somewhat" follow a road, but I'm not sure what value it is. Track GWT 006 doesn't line up with any roads or trails I can see.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx ForJerry111009.gpx (52.3 KB, 39 views)
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #156
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Fishlake Motor Vehicle Use Maps are on line ahd show GWT.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...orest-2520Maps

My Mapsource R&R or Topo dont show existing roads in the Capital Reef Area, perhaps Scott can locate them.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Torrey-Salina.gpx (62.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 10-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #157
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Fishlake Motor Vehicle Use Maps are on line ahd show GWT. http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...orest-2520Maps
This is EXACTLY what I needed. With some file and image rework I was able to overlay that map onto GE, and their GWT lines up prefectly with my tracks. But, I have lots of other nearby tracks that line up with roads which are not part of GWT. So, I'll link up all my tracks in this area that are part of GWT as this map shows, and make them into a single track. Time to move North! Dig up some more maps like this one and I'll tweak my existing tracks as needed to match up.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #158
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862

I can be of more use for northern Utah if need be, although HogWild and Countdown seem to be getting this mapping thing done. I'm just trying to learn a little about these Google Earth overlays and all.

I've always just looked at a map and then my Mapsource and made tracks the old fashioned way.

All of my north Utah maps are USGS 1:24,000, so this section shouldn't be a problem.

Mike
Old 10-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #159
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
This is EXACTLY what I needed. With some file and image rework I was able to overlay that map onto GE, and their GWT lines up prefectly with my tracks. But, I have lots of other nearby tracks that line up with roads which are not part of GWT. So, I'll link up all my tracks in this area that are part of GWT as this map shows, and make them into a single track. Time to move North! Dig up some more maps like this one and I'll tweak my existing tracks as needed to match up.
Those are all your tracks in my file above except the piece near Capital Reef. Your tracks are the Option but I had to hand draw GWT were there no roads on my maps.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #160
HogWild
Scott Whitney

The attached tracks represent GWT between Torrey and Salida as represented on the FS maps HERE.

The one green track is GWT. The many red tracks are my alternate tracks that are not GWT, but provide some ways around potential blockages on GWT. There are a couple of places where GWT looks like it may be a hiking trail, or at best a very tough road. Some of these places are where I provided alternate paths.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx GWT_Torrey-Salina_111010b.gpx (161.7 KB, 41 views)
Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #161
boney
Ride > Post

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
The attached tracks represent GWT between Torrey and Salida as represented on the FS maps HERE.

The one green track is GWT. The many red tracks are my alternate tracks that are not GWT, but provide some ways around potential blockages on GWT. There are a couple of places where GWT looks like it may be a hiking trail, or at best a very tough road. Some of these places are where I provided alternate paths.
I've ridden (some) of the tracks that you show heading north out of Torrey.

The uphill section indicated on 092 just south of 248 was steep, loose and littered with baseball sized rocks and smaller. Neither of us were able to make it up that section on our (unloaded) 640 Adventures several years ago. A 4x4 quad? Sure, probably, but we couldn't maintain enough momentum before the rear tire would spin and dig.

We also rode around 093 on the same trip and where the map shows it goes from road to trail it actually just faded out to nothing...

Perhaps there's been some maintenance since 2007.

I've also come south on 209 as far as snow lake, and it was a wide well maintained road.
boney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #162
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The attached tracks represent GWT between Torrey and Salida as represented on the FS maps .

This is the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM), the official forest decision after Travel Management of routes open to vehicles. Why would you think some are blocked? Just what you see on GE?
Old 10-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #163
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quota View Post
I can be of more use for northern Utah if need be, although HogWild and Countdown seem to be getting this mapping thing done. I'm just trying to learn a little about these Google Earth overlays and all.

I've always just looked at a map and then my Mapsource and made tracks the old fashioned way. Mike
Thanks Mike, got e-mail version. Again 20 years ago these large scale maps were not electronic but valuable to get the idea of motorized hiking and snow mobile.

I am with you Paper maps form USFS and Mapsource R&R, Topo, & CN. Don't understand Google Earth much.

Scott is your guy to get GE help but don't ever mention paper maps or you may get black listed.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #164
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boney View Post
The uphill section indicated on 092 just south of 248 was steep, loose and littered with baseball sized rocks and smaller.

We also rode around 093 on the same trip and where the map shows it goes from road to trail it actually just faded out to nothing...
Thanks for input on 092 vs. 093?

However 092 is not on the GWT it is on Scott's Alt. If you look on the MVUM, it shows a wierd designation just below 248 that looks like they may be saying "South Only".

On 093, interesting! It shows as a trail on MVUM so perhaps FS puched it through? Since Scott has lots of track points, I assume he can see a trail in GE?

The only option to these two is long county road around them.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #165
boney
Ride > Post

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Thanks for input on 092 vs. 093?

However 092 is not on the GWT it is on Scott's Alt. If you look on the MVUM, it shows a wierd designation just below 248 that looks like they may be saying "South Only".

On 093, interesting! It shows as a trail on MVUM so perhaps FS puched it through? Since Scott has lots of track points, I assume he can see a trail in GE?

The only option to these two is long county road around them.
Yeah, I suppose that could be "south only." I just remember riding up to the bottom of that section, looking up and going "you have got to be kidding me!" Then after trying a few times, "F-this!" The map symbol seems like a pretty good representation of that.
boney is offline   Reply With Quote