ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #181
quota
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
I've got some map scans that I'll send as a .pdf. Unfortunately, the free pdf converter makes me wait 30 minutes between converts. There will be some single track, which is motorcycle legal. It won't be appropriate for most riders on large bike, but for a skilled rider on a smaller bike, these sections could easily be some of most fun riding, up to this point, on the GWT in Utah.

Just west of Midway, UT. is where the motorized section of this trail runs out for a while. East of Bountiful, UT. is where motorized is next permitted.

It will probably me morning before I can get the .pdf sent.

Taking off tomorrow for a few days of riding, and have a little bike prep left to do.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #182
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,931
I have been avidly watching all your work. Unfortunately I have nothing more than what you guys are doing to add.

But I certainly plan to get and use the final product sometime in the next couple of years. So keep up the good work.

We are going to Utah for a DS ride next week but I don't know where. And in fact the guy planning the trip hasn't planned it yet. I suspect we will not venture too far north. We only have 5 days out of Albuquerque and two of the guys will be on KTM 990 Adventure bikes.

We did about 200 miles of pavement and mountain dirt roads yesterday and even including some interstate. So I feel pretty good about the new clutch and water pump seals in my old KLR after our mud debacle last month.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #183
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Scott I am quite aware that "official" and probably the marked by Fishlake GWT does not go into Salina but I believe it should go into gas about every 100 miles (or so) and routes that perhaps cut off going into town should be Bypass Options. At least for GPS tracks that is what I do it to reduce number of tracks I would use to ride it.
I understand that. My file has tracks to and from the "Phillips66 - Salina" gas station, in a way you wouldn't miss ANYof the GWT. My "alternate" tracks to and from the gas stop could be tied into the main tracks so there would be no "added" tracks. Your track skips 30 miles of GWT. It's not a big deal either way. I guess I was just trying to minimize the diversions off GWT.

Quote:
How does the attached file look now (using all your tracks) at Salina? However, City Nav and the MVUM both show an I-70 crossing 2.5miles east of town and a forest numbered road going into town. Also the last several miles of the track I show going to Salina is part of the Piute ATV trail on the MVUM.
That's better! The freeway crossing you have now (from my track) IS 2.5mi east of the overpass near town. Your previous tracks sort of paralled the freeway then just drifted across the freeway in a place I saw no way under or over. It's possible I missed something, but what you have now is a sure bet.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #184
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
My file has tracks to and from the "Phillips66 - Salina" gas station, in a way you wouldn't miss ANYof the GWT.

That's better! The freeway crossing you have now (from my track) IS 2.5mi east of the overpass near town.
What I do is go out and scout all possible ways (like at Jackob Lake). If the short trail is just too good to miss, I kake it and go straight to gas and back. If it is just all the same stuff then take the fun way to gas and back and miss a bunch of the other way.

Great that is what I will ride (next year).
Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #185
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I have been avidly watching all your work.
But I certainly plan to get and use the final product sometime in the next couple of years. So keep up the good work.
I consider "final product" is active log after riding it and editing a bunch of options. I just did this on the South Rim and I did it to get to Jerome and even to Montazuma Castle. This will take a few years to get it done from Mexico to Canada. It took us about 5 years to develop http://mex2can.com in the 90's.

I keep a file of what I have done and what I plan to do on GPSXchange.com and update it every time I have something new.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:07 PM   #186
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quota View Post
There is also fuel available at Strawberry Reservoir Marina, and Daniels Summit on Hwy. 40.
Soldier to Evanston is 158 miles. Exactly where is the Marina? It doesn't show on any of my maps. big Dog went in but it looks like it was to camp ground.

Also I found Daniels Pass on 40 but again don't see any service. Is it right at the pass?
Old 10-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #187
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Soldier to Evanston is 158 miles. Exactly where is the Marina? It doesn't show on any of my maps. big Dog went in but it looks like it was to camp ground. Also I found Daniels Pass on 40 but again don't see any service. Is it right at the pass?
I also could not find the Daniels Summit gas station. My latest gas station waypoints file (attached) has a gas waypoint at the marina, right where bigdog went, but it's not clear from the imagery that there really is gas there. I may see two pumps out in the parking lot, or maybe that's an RV dump station? Or maybe a pump out on the docks for the boats?
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Gas Stations.gpx (31.3 KB, 73 views)
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #188
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Soldier to Strawberry 31 miles
Strawberry to Evanston 127 miles

If they sell boat gas at the marina, there is a good you can get bike gas some how.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #189
quota
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I also could not find the Daniels Summit gas station. My latest gas station waypoints file (attached) has a gas waypoint at the marina, right where bigdog went, but it's not clear from the imagery that there really is gas there. I may see two pumps out in the parking lot, or maybe that's an RV dump station? Or maybe a pump out on the docks for the boats?
Daniels Summit is at 4018'05 N 11115'24 W www.danielssummit.com
Strawberry Marina is at 4010'40 N 11109'17 W www.strawberrybay.com

I didn't look at any imagery, but I've put fuel into motorcycles at both places.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:20 AM   #190
quota
Studly Adventurer

I'm not sure how the routing goes into Evanston, but there is fuel at
www.bearriverlodge.com

Click on the directions and the coordinates show up. It is on Hwy 150, in Utah, about 30 miles south of Evanston.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #191
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

We did our Utah ride last week and did not do any GWT stuff. Just didn't get far enough west due to time restrictions. Plus we tend to ride east-west legs in order to get to and from Abq.

We did Smokey Mtn (#300) road again and it truly is awesome but we ended up having to do the last 10 miles into Escalante in the pitch dark. I discovered we have been doing the southern part wrong. We rode Smokey Hollow road (#330) instead of Smokey Mtn. There was sign that we chose to ignore because it did not match our track from the last time. A couple of guys on ATVs straightened us out. Smokey Hollow is apparently much harder for big bikes because it goes for several miles thru a tough arroyo.

Other UT highlights were Burr Trail, Eggnog, Wooden Shoe, Squaw Creek.

I will post my tracks on Dual Sport maps in a few days when I get them annotated and sort thru our pictures.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #192
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,102
Connecting Camp Verde to Globe

Hello gang. I'll be in Cave Creek Jan 27-Feb 11. I left my WR250R there last September. I had hoped to get the whole month, but 2 weeks gives me enough time to explore.

I expect to connect Camp Verde to Globe and continue on to Lochiel. I have Jerry Counts tracks and also Buddy Holly's tracks. After looking at them both, there is a gap between Cave Creek Road in Carefree and Globe. The route Jerry mapped doesn't work. I am pretty familiar with the area and there is not path where Jerry indicates. There might be a ATV track, but not anything a KLR could handle.

There is a road indicated on my maps that connects Cave Creek Rd to hwy 87, but locals tell me it is gated and crosses the Verde River south of Bartlett Lake and that it is not passable. Its only a few miles from where I'll be staying so I'll check it out first hand.

The route from Camp Verde to Bartlett Lake is pretty simple. Just head east from I-17 on Bloody Basin Rd, and turn south on Seven Hills Rd/Cave Creek Rd. Once into Carefree the road turns paved. If the Bartlett Lake Rd I mentioned goes through, it will be a simple job to continue with only a couple miles of pavement on Hwy 87. If not, there is a fair amount of pavement required to get to the next section.

Just off 87, I'll turn east on 4 Peaks Rd. This is a meandering dirt path over the Four Peaks and drops you at the northwest end of Roosevelt Lake. I'll cross Hwy 188 and continue on A Cross Rd, which runs along the north shore of Roosevelt Lake just below the Mogollon Rim. It ends at a dirt road called Globe Young Hwy or 288. Take 288 south to 88. Then south 10 miles on Hwy 88 to Globe.

Jerry has a dirt path that connects 288 to Globe, but its not on my DeLorme maps. If it's there I'll ride it. At Globe, I'll pick up BH's tracks. I expect to modify it a little, though. Probably the southern most section going into Lochiel. My DeLorme shows a more direct dirt road from Canelo. We'll see.

Hopefully I can contribute to all your work. I'll probably take 3 weeks in September to ride the GWT from Camp Verde north. Maybe pick up the Pony Express Trail and head west into NV.

Anyway, I sure hope that Bartlett Lake road goes through. I also hope the weather is pleasant. Hard to know at the higher elevations.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #193
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,814
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #194
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Based on advice from Utah State OHV guy I bought NatGeo Topo for Arizona & Utah. Amazon shipped one with bar code for AZ but box was CO, have to send it back. The Utah one did have severl miles of GWT marked but only the south half of the state. Anxious to see what Az has on it.

Pantah, looking forward to what you find. I will be there last week of March.

Yes Verde River looks like a problem. The Bartlett Dam road does look good. Also only need Carefree for gas. City Nav shows marina at the lake, they usually have gas. Get a way point of any gas along the route. Some maps show road across river further south but goes through Indian Reservation so also may be problem.

If you open my tracks and there is a time stamp on a track point obviously someone rode it.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #195
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

We are going to do a ride in that area around the first of May. In looking at things, I have decided to follow Big Dawg's tracks which run somewhat east of the official GWT.

This eliminates the Verde River crossings and makes for an easier loop from Abq.

We are going to follow his tracks from about the Mogollon Rim to Globe and then down to the Mexican border via Benson.

We have ridden the GWT from about Camp Creek thru Bloody Basin, so I don't feel bad about not being a purist.

I will report back on the trip.