ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 12:36 PM   #61
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,904
GWT Prescott map. Note loop just south of Camp Verde and top east of Williams.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx GWT Prescott Map.gpx (259.3 KB, 82 views)
Old 06-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #62
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Kiabab Kiosk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Kiabab Kiosk
Picture of Kiosk
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #63
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Gwt

This is what I ahve for Arizona, looking for any additional Active Logs.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx GWT.gpx (1.80 MB, 91 views)
Old 06-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #64
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,742
Jerry,

Looks like a great ride. Thanks for the tracks. I will add them to my collection.

Good to see the route around Jerome worked.

Were there any really difficult places south of 89?

The hardest one we saw was the small ledge going up into the mountains about 5 miles north of the Verde River. And it caused no trouble.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #65
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Good to see the route around Jerome worked.

Were there any really difficult places south of 89?

The hardest one we saw was the small ledge going up into the mountains about 5 miles north of the Verde River. And it caused no trouble.
There were two sections where I wouldn't take an adventure bike. They have waypoints named "Rocks". Don't remember any ledges.

The road into Jerome was no problem and no gates (but lots of rocks). It is a pipe line road. I say a cast iron valve cover, then just before Jerome I saw it come out from under the road. A game warden I ran into knew it and a guy at the Grand Hotel in Jerome knew it.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #66
Buddy_Holly OP
Imminent Train Wreck

Oddometer: 1,109
Getting Ready

This summer I plan on doing the GWT. Right now I am having trouble route planning from globe to camp creek, in AZ. Can anyone help with this portion of the ride?

Thanks in Advance.

BH
Buddy_Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #67
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy_Holly View Post
This summer I plan on doing the GWT. Right now I am having trouble route planning from globe to camp creek, in AZ. Can anyone help with this portion of the ride? BH
I don't think there IS a GWT to ride yet. I was hoping that people would help document one that works for motorcycles. Where do you live? can you help find route? I am going back later this summer to work from Williams into Utah. I hae no desire to go to southern part of state until winter.

Big Dog did one but it does not follow GWT web site routes.

Any don't know where camp creek is but I have a couple possibilities on GPSXchange.com and have ask for trakcs there also.

Jerry
Old 06-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #68
Buddy_Holly OP
Imminent Train Wreck

Gwt?

Jerry,
I am using the GWT website and benchmark maps to help guide my trip. I think there is not one way to do this whole trip there are many ways. I am almost through with the gpx track I will use for Arizona. I will finish the rest of the states by next week. Unlike bigdog I will finish at the Candian border in Montana.

I kind of like that the GWT isn't just one set of roads, and maybe we will finally come up with a preferred route, but that can't happen until people run it a variety of ways or someone says this is the GWT for dual sports. Kind of like the TAT, and even that folks find better additions to or alter the route to their own needs and wants, everyone has to make the ride their own anyhow.

The trip I will take this summer might get completely changed anyhow due to wildfires, and the flooding in Montana and Wyoming. Also the GWT in Utah follows many different routes north and south according to the map at GWT.org.

I live in Gallup and have done the southern portion of the GWT from Lochiel to Globe. This summer I will ride the rest, as best as I can follow the general and specific trail notes at the GWT website.

I think the GWT is a great project and a really cool thing to do would to ride the GWT one direction and the CDT the opposite. I just don't have that much time.

I have been working on planning this ride of and on for three years and I can't wait to start out in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your interest and help and all of the help inmates here have given towards putting together bits of the GWT as they have found them.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #69
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have been working on planning this ride of and on for three years and I can't wait to start out in a couple of weeks.
You couold have saved three years of planning and just do http://mex2can.com/ ! It is turn key.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #70
Buddy_Holly OP
Imminent Train Wreck

Quote:
You couold have saved three years of planning and just do http://mex2can.com/ ! It is turn key.
I know, that pretty much follows the GWT. I will even do some of the same ground as them. I will just end up a little east of their ending point.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #71
Buddy_Holly OP
Imminent Train Wreck

Montana

Finding a route through Montana is currently kicking my butt. What I had penciled in on my Benchmark maps is just a trail for hiking/horses. Thankfully there is Google Earth. Right now I am working backwards from my ending point.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #72
Buddy_Holly OP
Imminent Train Wreck

Too Much Road

I think I will have to modify the route to use the Tour of Idaho route. From BigDog. It just looks too good.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:02 PM   #73
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I know, that pretty much follows the GWT. I will even do some of the same ground as them. I will just end up a little east of their ending point.
Mex2Can route is no where near the GWT? Where did you get this idea?
Old 06-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #74
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
I think I will have to modify the route to use the Tour of Idaho route. From BigDog. It just looks too good.
I sat down for an hour and hammered out Idaho. This track overlays perfectly with the lines on the GWT map HERE, and includes only roads, no hiking trails. Of course I haven't ridden it, so not 100% sure there are no locked gates. Several of the lines on that map can not be ridden, as they cross major rivers where there is no bridge, and sometimes go across mountains where there are no roads. I didn't include those.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Great Western Trail - Idaho - HogWild.gpx (141.6 KB, 86 views)

HogWild screwed with this post 06-14-2011 at 08:55 PM
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #75
Buddy_Holly OP
Imminent Train Wreck

Route

Quote:
Mex2Can route is no where near the GWT? Where did you get this idea?
CD

If I understand your question right you think that the route BigDog took was the GWT. If so I don't even think he ever said that. His route followed part of the GWT but didn't do the whole route as seen by maps provided by the GWT organization. The overall map provided by the GWT organization shows just areas of consideration for the GWT Canadian terminus, and routing through everything basically north of the northern border of wyoming. On that map the end of the GWT is in Montana probably 100 miles east of where BigDog ended up.

Did I misunderstand your question- or do I just have old information?