User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #181
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 366
Eh? Centerstand

The stand looks great! Keep us posted as to when they are available to ship. Curious to know as to final finish, powder-coated or is something one could do later. Keep up the great work!
Old 11-05-2010, 01:18 PM   #182
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Oddometer: 436
Transalp Centerstand

I Thought I should finally throw in my comments on the TA centerstand while Mike is out riding.

It's no wonder no one else is out there making one for the TA. It seems like a simple deal, but the details are a pain. Mike is taking great care to make sure it will stand up to abuse while still being simple to install and not interfere with anything else on the bike. We are trying to make sure no modifications are needed to the bike. Also trying to make sure it doesn't get in the way of the chain, chain slider, suspension linkages, side stand, swing arm and even the oil filter (when changing). These all complicate things.

The first try we bolted up needed some heavier steel and reenforcements in a couple areas. I should of gotten a picture of the slightly pretzled legs before we realigned them and welded in a better cross brace. We're lucky the bike didn't go over on one of us. With the legs strengthened, The only obvious problem was that the top clamping plate bowed under load. Not an issue for our initial testing, but over time would lead to problems as the plates might shift and loosen. Hopefully thicker steel will fix the problem.

Trying to get the press down foot right is a real pain. A longer one makes it easier to get the bike up on the stand, but then it interferes with the sidestand and/or swing arm. We'll probably just have to live with some compromise that requires a little more muscle than we would like, especially if the bike is loaded, but we can't have everything.

This is largely a trial and error process, but we are getting closer and should get it working when Mike get's back providing this wonderful fall weather holds for me to ride down there. It's a couple hour round trip from Boulder to the southeast side of Denver and every trip so far has had me riding home in the dark as we worked on it longer than planned and then of course had to waste some significant time afterwards telling MC stories.

Required photo

Mike making a fine adjustment with a precision tool

Bike up on the stand

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
http://daleeva.smugmug.com/Motorcycle
wdeTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:20 PM   #183
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

TA Centerstand

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout
The stand looks great! Keep us posted as to when they are available to ship. Curious to know as to final finish, powder-coated or is something one could do later. Keep up the great work!
My understanding is Mike just plans to supply it painted black to keep costs down. If you want it powder coated, you could take care of that when you get it.

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
Old 11-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #184
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 366
Eh? Transalp Stand

Here's another question I see its being set up with the original belly pan I am thinking of getting a Aluminum skid plate from Twisted Throttle do you think it will still fit the same? Anyone out there know if the tolerances are similar to the original plastic pans?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #185
wdeTA
TransAlp Adv

Transalp CenterStand

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout
Here's another question I see its being set up with the original belly pan I am thinking of getting a Aluminum skid plate from Twisted Throttle do you think it will still fit the same? Anyone out there know if the tolerances are similar to the original plastic pans?
Right now the design uses a top and bottom plate to clamp the crossbar at the bottom rear just in front of the suspension linkages and the flat plates that extend rearward of that where the linkages connect to the frame. There is a connecting bolt for the two plates that goes in front of the crossbar. If the Alum skid plate doesn't extend all the way to the crossbar, there should be no problem. If it does, then some trimming or a hole for the bolt might be required.

89 Transalp
01 XR400R
Old 11-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #186
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,411
Keep us updated

wdeTA,

I would really like to see how it turns out.

I think I will have to bring the stand to you or put it in the back of the truck and bring it down here. I should be back on Monday and get back to work.

Cigar Mike
Old 11-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #187
DmsFab
Banned

Oddometer: 451
Will the XR650L stand fit on the R model? Dump question but I am looking into an XR650R that I am sure needs one of these!
DmsFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #188
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmsFab
Will the XR650L stand fit on the R model? Dump question but I am looking into an XR650R that I am sure needs one of these!

Sorry, it will not fit. It does look like one could be made by attaching it at the foot peg mounting brackets. Something similar to the DR650 centerstand.

Cigar Mike
Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #189
DmsFab
Banned

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
Sorry, it will not fit. It does look like one could be made by attaching it at the foot peg mounting brackets. Something similar to the DR650 centerstand.

Cigar Mike

Is that something you might be into doing?
DmsFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #190
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmsFab
Is that something you might be into doing?
I would love to have the time to do one. The problem is I have many requests for several different models. I do try to go down the list of requests in the order that they come in. I do take into consideration how much time it will take to develop a stand for a certain model and how much interest there is.

I have three bikes that I will try and make models for this year. And I have a list for about 10 models. The XR650R is on the list. To be honest I am surprised at the number of orders I have received for the stands I do make. I thought that I would always be adding new models to try and keep busy.

Cigar Mike
Old 11-18-2010, 03:04 AM   #191
drivefastandswerve
Indianapolis

Oddometer: 154
Laugh Great job on the Transalp Centerstand, looking to place an order

Mike: Just wanted to let you know, that I would still like to place an order for a 1989 Honda Transalp centerstand, whenever you get one worked up.

From all the Transalp owners, Thanks!!

- chuck from Indianapolis

There really is no such thing as a 5 minute job!

1989 Honda Transalp (Gotta get it dirtier!)
2000 BMW R1100RT (Iron Butt Qualified)
1993 Honda XR250L (Great woods bike)
Misc mini-bikes (71 Honda Z50, 75 Honda XL70, 73 CT70, 79 XR80)
1973 Suzuki TM125 (vintage racer)
1974 Suzuki TM100 (Racer, when it's repaired!)
Misc motorcycle crap from many swapmeets!
drivefastandswerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #192
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Transalp #3

I completed the new upper plate for mounting the stand today. Depending on wdeTAs schedule we will see how that works out. The weather is a little unpredictable now and Dale does have a life.

I am anxious to be done with the design. But I would like to make sure there is no problems with it before I release it. It is a real pain to deal with a stand that is not right. I rushed the Husky stand and had to re-make several stands that I had sent out. That is not fun for anyone.

We are working on it but I won't make then available until I am pretty sure that it will be trouble free.

I will keep all of you that are interested advised of the progress.

Thanks,

Cigar Mike
Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #193
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

TE630 Centerstand

I just got some pictures of the second centerstand I made for the TE630. Of course it is several thousand miles away so I can't make any changes to it. It appears that the improved side stand on the 630 will interfere with the center stand. It does appear that I will be able to make some adjustments. I think that the main issue will be to move the press down leg to the right side of the bike. the way the side stand deploys it will hit the press down leg.

If anyone would like one for the 630 let me know. I will provide one for free with your help in making the adjustments. Lower 48 states please.

Cigar Mike
Old 11-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #194
Mario Shi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
I completed the new upper plate for mounting the stand today. Depending on wdeTAs schedule we will see how that works out. The weather is a little unpredictable now and Dale does have a life.

I am anxious to be done with the design. But I would like to make sure there is no problems with it before I release it. It is a real pain to deal with a stand that is not right. I rushed the Husky stand and had to re-make several stands that I had sent out. That is not fun for anyone.

We are working on it but I won't make then available until I am pretty sure that it will be trouble free.

I will keep all of you that are interested advised of the progress.

Thanks,

Cigar Mike
Thanks Mike!
1967 R60/2

1989 XL600V TRANSALP
1999 XRV750X Africa Twin
1998 XR400r - plated & electric start
1999 XR250r - plated
1998 M900

Ahhh, if it was that, then it would be it - Butt Head
Mario Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #195
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

TA Update

wdeTa drove off with the prototype today. It is functional. The better upper plate seemed to fix the mounting of the stand to the bike. The bike sits solid on the stand. Dale stood on the bike when up on the stand to help test the strength and it seems fine so far.

We are going to try a few different designs with the feet to see if it will help make the bike easier to get the bike up on the stand. It did not seem bad to me but it was not would I would consider easy.

Some minor changes will be made for ease of installation and better chain clearance.

With the weather being what it is here in Colorado I will try and get a test stand out to California. Hopefully Mario will get some time on it for testing. I would like to have them sooner but January or February of of 2011 is more likely.

Cigar Mike