Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 10:23 AM   #406
Dekatronic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
I have though about that. I have not followed up on it though since I have as much work as I am willing to do. If I changed it too soon and you are right I will never find time to complete the TA and DRZ. When the demand slows down to the point I need more to do I will request that it be changed or start a new thread.

Thanks,

Mike
Lol, I didn't even think of that ... you're in a rare position to actually have too much work. And you thought you were going to retire, lol. Yes I agree, don't change the title - until AFTER you've configured the DRZ stand! Can't have you be too busy, you know

Keep up the good work, my man. You've certainly found a way to buck the trend in the face of a ridiculous economy and high unemployment
Dekatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM   #407
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekatronic View Post
Lol, I didn't even think of that ... you're in a rare position to actually have too much work. And you thought you were going to retire, lol. Yes I agree, don't change the title - until AFTER you've configured the DRZ stand! Can't have you be too busy, you know

Keep up the good work, my man. You've certainly found a way to buck the trend in the face of a ridiculous economy and high unemployment
We are a strange bunch. I am as guilty as anyone. For some reason I can always find the money for a new farkle for my motorcycles. This hobby is only a business because the IRS is always watching.

Mike
Old 12-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #408
zulusafari
E African ADVRDR

Oddometer: 284
I just shot you an email about an XR650L stand. I have a 908 rear tire that is 140/80. I'm wondering if that's much taller than stock and if it would require a slightly taller stand. Look forward to discussing on email and getting it ordered up!

I came through Colorado twice this summer and didn't even think to check on ADV who might be around. Bummed I could have stopped in and seen where the magic happens.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #409
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulusafari View Post
I just shot you an email about an XR650L stand. I have a 908 rear tire that is 140/80. I'm wondering if that's much taller than stock and if it would require a slightly taller stand. Look forward to discussing on email and getting it ordered up!

I came through Colorado twice this summer and didn't even think to check on ADV who might be around. Bummed I could have stopped in and seen where the magic happens.
I just opened your email and read it. Since the 908 is an 80 profile it should not be a problem.

I just put a XR650L stand on the shelf this morning. If you would like, it is yours. I replied to your email.

I could have given you the tour of my huge 10'x11' shop where I fabricate the stands. The beer and cigars are just inside the garage, one door away.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #410
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Let me know

Just a reminder for those that may want a stand. If you have modified your suspensions, like installing a lowering link. Please let me know. The lowering of the bike will make it very difficult to get the bike onto a standard height stand. I make custom heights at no extra charge. Just let me know when you order and I will tell you how to get the correct dimension for height of your stand.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #411
Sportourer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Mike, I have not seen any action on this thread in a while. Is there any hope for the Transalp stand this winter?
IBA#364
STOC#4028
AMA#372280
Sportourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #412
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportourer View Post
Mike, I have not seen any action on this thread in a while. Is there any hope for the Transalp stand this winter?
The status is unchanged on the TA stand. I am done with the design and know it works except for the pressdown leg. I have one sitting ready to test fit but have not got a bike to try it on. If it works I will start producing them. I have been busy with making other stands and doing some work on my bikes so I have not put much effort into hunting down a bike.

With my track record on getting this stand done. The old saying about shitting in one hand and putting hope in the other. Then seeing which one fills up first, may apply. I don't think I believe me any more.

I will see If I can connect with Dale and get this done.

Mike
Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #413
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Closed February and March

I will not be making centerstands in the Months of February and March. I have things that must be done for my family and won't have time to fabricate stands. If you would like a stand I will start a list and complete orders as they come in. I should be making stands again in March.

Thanks,

Mike

Cigar Mike screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 09:10 AM
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #414
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,359
Hi Mike,

email sent re TE630 stand. Thx.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #415
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD8R View Post
Hi Mike,

email sent re TE630 stand. Thx.
I wil get around to it. I am loosing interest in making stands.

Mike
Old 03-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #416
Ks-Rydr
from the land of Toto

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
I wil get around to it. I am loosing interest in making stands.

Mike

NO...NO...Say it isn't so !!!!! I still need one for my DRZ400.....
Take a break, get rested up, and hang in there ole buddy.....

Old 03-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #417
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks-Rydr View Post
NO...NO...Say it isn't so !!!!! I still need one for my DRZ400.....
Take a break, get rested up, and hang in there ole buddy.....

I think other manufacturers will make stands for models I currently offer. I would like to complete the design on other models and then design more models.

From post #83 of this thread.

I have no idea how long I will continue to do this. If it becomes a job instead of a hobby, I will stop. If the time it takes interferes with the time I need to spend with my family, I will stop. And obviously if there is no longer any demand, I will stop. If there is too much demand, I will stop. This is a hobby that had to be a business for legal and tax concerns. I do not make a living from this and don’t need the money to survive.

I am there.

Mike
Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #418
jar3316
Where am I

Oddometer: 4
Well, as a person who has been waiting for a DRZ 400 stand since July or before I will say I am bummed but I do understand, and wish you no ill will. I hope you enjoy the next hobby or metal project you take up. If I am ever in your neck of the woods i will surely look you up and take you and yours out to dinner your a stand up guy and have brought joy to many people here for not much more payment than it made you happy.

Three cheers for Mike!!!

Thank YOU
Old 04-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #419
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar3316 View Post
Well, as a person who has been waiting for a DRZ 400 stand since July or before I will say I am bummed but I do understand, and wish you no ill will. I hope you enjoy the next hobby or metal project you take up. If I am ever in your neck of the woods i will surely look you up and take you and yours out to dinner your a stand up guy and have brought joy to many people here for not much more payment than it made you happy.

Three cheers for Mike!!!

Thank YOU
Don't give up yet. I am trying to see what arrangements can be made to continue with new designs and reduce my involvement with fabrication of current designs. I don't have the time to do both. The designing of new models and fabrication of less popular models might work out for me. I have every intention of completing the TA and DRZ designs. I gave my word and even though it is taking longer than expected, when I give my word it is very imporant to me that I keep. If I do stop the TA and DRZ will be the last and only ones I make.

I never thought there would be the interest that there has been. Two of the most popular models are for bikes that are no longer in production. It has been an absolute pleasure dealing with my fellow riders. I have not had one bad experience. As a matter of fact I have been treated better than I deserve. I have made some mistakes and those customers have been very patient while I made it right for them.

I will let you guys know what is going on as things develop. I am still taking orders but it is taking longer for me to fill them. If any would like one, order ahead so that you are likely to get it before your really need it. I will not accept payment for a stand until it is completed and ready to ship.

Thank you for the kind words. I should be thanking all of you. Thank you.

Mike
Old 04-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #420
WeeBee
Roaming ADV Gnome

Oddometer: 1,528
If only the Idiots we elect & pay to run this country had the Morals and Moxy that Cigar Mike does!

WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote