ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #31
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,411
Custom Heights at no extra charge.

If it is the model year that has the factory installed mount it will not be a problem. Send me a PM and I will tell you how to get the measurement I need. I will be able to make one the height you need.

I will do that modification on any stand I make. There is always some difference between the height of the bike due to the different choices of tires. I have picked a middle ground for the heights. My XRL650L has a higher profile front tire but a lowering link on it. It works out about the same as a stock bike in height as far as rear wheel ground clearance when on the stand. The standard stand will work on most bikes unless they have been significantly lowered or SM'ed.

Cigar Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget
My 06 610 is lowered two inches at the shock. Do you think the center stand would still work?
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #32
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,411
XR400 Center Stand

XR400 Center is now available. $160.00 plus shipping. ADVrider inmates will recieve a 10% discount.




Cigar Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #33
Gladly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gladly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
XR400 Center is now available. $160.00 plus shipping. ADVrider inmates will recieve a 10% discount.

Cigar Mike
any pics of it in the raised position?

edit, found one here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2015
__________________
'03 XR400R
Gladly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #34
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider
 
r00t4rd3d's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Trails
Oddometer: 895
That 400 stand should also work on a 250 right ?
__________________

03 Honda XR250R
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #35
kawamatt2
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladly
any pics of it in the raised position?

edit, found one here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2015
Kickstand and center stand up.

kawamatt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #36
Gladly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gladly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawamatt2
Kickstand and center stand up.
i need one!
__________________
'03 XR400R
Gladly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #37
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d
That 400 stand should also work on a 250 right ?
I don't know, but I doubt it. There are similarities in all of the air cooled XRs but they are not exactly the same. I have never looked at the frame on a 250. If you can take a picture of the bottom of the bike I could tell you if one could be adapted.

The XR400 was able to be made because kawamatt2 sent me a portion of a frame for the XR400. I usually need to get my hands on a bike to see if I can make one. I was pretty lucky it fit as good as it did. I will make a few minor changes after talking with kawamatt2.

Cigar Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!

Cigar Mike screwed with this post 02-13-2010 at 11:23 PM
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:37 AM   #38
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider
 
r00t4rd3d's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Trails
Oddometer: 895
XR400 and XR250 frames are almost identical.

A week or two and I will buy one off you and test the fit.


__________________

03 Honda XR250R

r00t4rd3d screwed with this post 02-14-2010 at 05:24 AM
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #39
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d
XR400 and XR250 frames are almost identical.

A week or two and I will buy one off you and test the fit.


Before you go through the expense involved in shipping take a good look at the picture of the frame that I was sent. The angle of the small cross bracing from the rear of the frame to the sides is what makes the biggest difference. The height needed may be different also.

The lower portion of the stand is almost the same for the XR650L and the XR400 except for the bends in the legs to get the bottom of the stand higher on the 400. The 650 side stand does not allow this. I am going to see what can be done to modify the side stand so that I can get the center stand for the 650 to have the same bend to get the feet higher like the 400. Bikes that do not have passenger pegs typically have the side stands up higher since there is no interference with passenger pegs.

Send me a PM if you would like, so we can figure out what the difference may be. I will check the parts fiche and see what I can tell from that.

The inmates here have made the suggestions that bring new stands about, and it is appreciated.

Cigar Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:50 AM   #40
heilong
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia
Oddometer: 90
Hey guys can you please enlighten me on the advantages of a center-stand? I had a 150cc scooter that had a center-stand; now I've got a XR250 with the stock side-stand. The side-stand seems like it's more stable in windy conditions. My scooter (parked on a center stand) fell down a couple of times in strong wind. It was chinese shit, though, so maybe this is it :)
Anyway, what is the reason you put center stands on XRs?
heilong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #41
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider
 
r00t4rd3d's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Trails
Oddometer: 895
Do you still have that chunk of the 400 frame to measure ? Can you give me some numbers in inches to compare ?

Here is my 250 :

__________________

03 Honda XR250R
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #42
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by heilong
Hey guys can you please enlighten me on the advantages of a center-stand? I had a 150cc scooter that had a center-stand; now I've got a XR250 with the stock side-stand. The side-stand seems like it's more stable in windy conditions. My scooter (parked on a center stand) fell down a couple of times in strong wind. It was chinese shit, though, so maybe this is it :)
Anyway, what is the reason you put center stands on XRs?
I wanted a centerstand to do tire repairs. I will not ride a flat tire unless it is the only option left. We dual sport our bikes which means it is a combination of dirt and street. Most rides are in the 100 mile to 200 mile range. When we are that far out being able to pull the wheel and fix the flat using the center stand makes life a lot easier for me. The side benefit of the stand is ease of chain maintenance and it is easier when loading and unloading the saddle bags.

Others have told me that they like that their bike is stored without having weight on the suspension and the bike takes up less space in the garage.

If you do not know of a reason to have one, I doubt if you need one. I do not think that everyone would want or need one. I have tried to make the stands as easy as possible to install and remove. Even those of us that would want one may not want it on for every ride. When on Adventure rides it may be something you would want. For single track you may not. For the riding I do anymore the stand is not a problem.

I have no desire to try and convince anyone that they need a centerstand. People have contacted me telling me that they want it for maintenance. I tell them that they would be money ahead to buy a hydraulic motorcycle lift. They are much cheaper and will lift both wheels off the ground at the same time. You can buy mechanical lifts for under $30.

Bottom line, the stands are not for everyone. I just happen to be somebody that wants one and apparently I am not alone.

Cigar Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:19 PM   #43
Cigar Mike OP
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,411
Maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00t4rd3d
Do you still have that chunk of the 400 frame to measure ? Can you give me some numbers in inches to compare
It looks pretty close but not identical. If the angle is off 1 degree the stand will not fit. I will get some dimension for you.

I could make one from a tracing of the bottom of the bike. But it would have to be a pretty accurate tracing.

May be some one in the Rookies has one I could look at. It would only take a couple of minutes to find out.

Cigar Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #44
heilong
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Moscow, Russia
Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
I wanted a centerstand to do tire repairs. I will not ride a flat tire unless it is the only option left. We dual sport our bikes which means it is a combination of dirt and street. Most rides are in the 100 mile to 200 mile range. When we are that far out being able to pull the wheel and fix the flat using the center stand makes life a lot easier for me. The side benefit of the stand is ease of chain maintenance and it is easier when loading and unloading the saddle bags.

Others have told me that they like that their bike is stored without having weight on the suspension and the bike takes up less space in the garage.

If you do not know of a reason to have one, I doubt if you need one. I do not think that everyone would want or need one. I have tried to make the stands as easy as possible to install and remove. Even those of us that would want one may not want it on for every ride. When on Adventure rides it may be something you would want. For single track you may not. For the riding I do anymore the stand is not a problem.

I have no desire to try and convince anyone that they need a centerstand. People have contacted me telling me that they want it for maintenance. I tell them that they would be money ahead to buy a hydraulic motorcycle lift. They are much cheaper and will lift both wheels off the ground at the same time. You can buy mechanical lifts for under $30.

Bottom line, the stands are not for everyone. I just happen to be somebody that wants one and apparently I am not alone.

Cigar Mike
Thanks for the reply, Mike. I understand your reasons. I dual-sport/adventure ride as well, I've got the japan domestic market street-legal version of XR250. I'm using Tubliss in my wheels, so the tire repairs are real easy with a tubeless repair kit. But I can see how a center stand would make it easier to change a tube. Easy chain maintenance is a big plus, indeed - that's what I thought when I was asking the question.
I've got a hydraulic lift (DRC HC-2) in the garage, but for long trips the centerstand could be a real help. I wonder how much does the stand weigh?

--Gene
heilong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #45
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider
 
r00t4rd3d's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Trails
Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
I just happen to be somebody that wants one and apparently I am not alone.

Cigar Mike
I was just googling for one a month ago. My reasoning is my bike is starting to get heavy cause of my racks and boxes and it sits in the garage for extended periods of time cause of the horrible winters we have here. When I work on my bike I also like it to be straight up and down and with the side stand that dont happen.

I shoved this piece of cardboard up under there and traced what I think you need then I sized it to be the exact size as the real measurements , so if you print it out it will be the real size and measurable. Are these the numbers you wanted ?

__________________

03 Honda XR250R
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014