User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #1
Joey Stalin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Vibrations through the bars - oscillating oscillations on a DRZ400SM

Oscillating oscillations, when the vibrations come and go at a regular frequency.

This is not your normal "ohhh my hands are numb I need help boo hoo" problem. More of an oscillating head shake.

New to me DRZ400SM, at about 45-60 mph, I get a slight vibration through the bars that comes and goes at about 1/2 hz. For the dullards, that means that I feel it vibrate for about 1 second, then it goes away for about 1 second, then comes back for about a second, etc. etc. etc. It is not bad at all, not like headshake where you feel like the bike is going to tear itself out of your hands. Never feels unstable. But I know it's there.

I have had this happen on one other bike (600cc sport bike), and it was because I mounted tires without balancing them. Balance took care of it.

Things I've tried:
The DRZ has a new race-take off mounted and balanced) on the rear, and I had the front tire balanced this weekend. No change to the oscillating head shake.
All wheel and swingarm bearings are in great shape, I haven't looked at the steering head yet.
I thought maybe the rear was out of alignment, I measured from the center of the swingarm pivot to the center of the rear axle, and found it was off ~1/32" left to right, so I adjusted that. No change.
Maybe the frame is slightly tweaked, found some instructions on checking that with string, but haven't done it yet.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Joey Stalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #2
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Stalin View Post
Oscillating oscillations, when the vibrations come and go at a regular frequency.

This is not your normal "ohhh my hands are numb I need help boo hoo" problem. More of an oscillating head shake.

Things I've tried:
I haven't looked at the steering head yet.

Thoughts/suggestions?
This

And check your suspension setup. Is the shock good? Fork oil? Sag?
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote