User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
Scalex OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
BarcelonaSiberia; Eurasia coast to coast. Part 1: The bike

On April this year I am leaving on a project that should have taken place 12 months before, but was stopped due to serious issues getting everything together.

Gone are now my job, flat in Barcelona, previous workshop... etc.

Plan is to leave mid April with no fixed returning date and an open mind, but heading east. Depending on how I fare I'll see where I make it to, that could be as close as Turkey or Iran, or as far as Magadan... or further, who knows.

Anyway this thread will be about building the bike for such journey. First thing I want to do is thanking everybody who posted tremendously useful information about their bikes and projects. Walter Colebatch comes to mind, but also so many others; all of them contributed to my idea of how to achieve what I wanted.

So for the past weeks I've been full steam working on the bike. It is an Xchallenge.
So much has been done with that model of bike, that going a step further is a tough challenge. But I didn't feel like just copying or buying what's already available. One reason is because whatever one can create new can help others, like others have helped inspiring me with their creativity and effort. Another one is creating the bike is part of the fun for me, and one that I particularly enjoy.

I have some innovative ideas, let's see how they work.

My bike started its life in a small town some 300 km south of Barcelona. I spent a long time looking for her until she popped up in a small advert. Was 2007 and with 350km on it -200 miles- it looked too good to be true.

It actually turned out not to be true then.. I was about to be scammed; the bike had way beyond 350KM. It was actually 850. The owner claimed it to be a typo, but he didn't fool me

He made a mistake when buying that bike. Despite the low seat he could barely climb onto it, and it spent years in his garage. So all that was wrong with it as a scratch on the right side. The rest was in showroom condition.

I started the way back home happier than I could have ever dreamed on my almost brand new bike. I actually hit the 1000km mark on the way back, and first thing to do home was to be the customary oil and filter change. Needed anyway after so many years.

All this was on 2013, when I planned to leave on spring 2014, before my issues which made me postpone the travel to 2015.

It is a very nice bike, but much of it will be useless for my project! Away go all the plastics, airbox, oil and fuel tanks, battery, hedlamp, seat, front cartridges, rear subframe and at the rear absolutely everything above the swing arm and wheel... All those parts will not be used once the bike is ready. Everything that remains is a chassis, engine, and swing arm. Sort of like this:

There are actually many parts showing in that pic that have found their way to the shelf too.

The rear shock is to stay though.. On January last year a quick travel took place to an undisclosed location in Netherlands, where He-who-must-not-be-named put together a perfect shock for me, taylor made for my height and weight.. together with a complete overhaul course on how to dismantle it and move ahead if everything went south (it won't, I'm going East only) .

From here, it's being work work work and many slepless nights to concieve everything that's missing in that picture....

Scalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
Scalex OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I'm a bit busy these days as departure date approaches and still have many things to do on the bike. So I forgot to summarize; this is what I am aiming for/working on, and what should be showing up here in the following posts:

-Front KTM RFR fairing
-Front KTM RFR-like tanks - Identical external shape-.
-Rear all in one alluminium subframe/tank/luggage rack. Estim 19 liters and not wider than the original bike setup.
-KTM rfr based seat; shorter for lowering luggage and wider at the back for confort.
-KTM RFR Front navigation tower with custom built top plate.
-Technoglobe heated grips (controled at the grips, no separate controller).
-Motodisplay (time allowing)
-Stem bracket/front tanks upper support in one single structure.
-Repositioned pegs
-Low exhaust
-Double oil tank with 1,7x/1,9x original capacity. Also acting as oil cooler.
-Custom made airbox
-Lithium split battery; normal use + backup. 12 elements in total. Switched from dashboard.
-400W electrical system/generator
-Rear hyperpro shock
-Original front fork with Shiver cartridges. Setup by Naniracing.
-Classical Excel A60 front
-Tubliss (plus normal tubes as backup, yes)
-Bashplate, to be defined once the rest is done. Have a few ideas but time is short....
-Altrider Hemisphere saddlebag

There a re a few more things obviously.. Some of them are quite standard thanks to others testing them before and sharing their finds. Would like to have something for the lights, but we'll see what I can actually do.

I think that's all for now; shall go back to mocking up with cardboard and foam for a few more hours....

Just a sketch for some fun;

Ok, wouldn't normally show it at such precarious state, but this is sort of where we are today:

Scalex screwed with this post 01-27-2015 at 04:41 PM
Scalex is offline   Reply With Quote