Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
jlemond OP
King of No0bs

Oddometer: 156
KTM 690 Enduro R as a semi-daily commuter.

I have been reading and lurking here as well as KTMT for a few months. I have read about durability and reliability, I have read about need to do mods and repairs as well as want to do mods. I am mostly settled on Buying myself a KTM 690 Enduro R in November.

My biggest concern is that I haven't read about anyone using one as a daily commuter. I live 32 miles from work. I work anywhere from 8 to 24 hours in a shift and average 12-13 hours. I would only be on the bike half of the time as anything longer than a 12 hour shift really puts a hurting on you and I would feel more comfortable in a cage. Especially as I have had Union brothers fall asleep at the wheel after 18+ hour days. My point here being that I will only ride 2-3 days a week and put between 2500 and 5000 miles on the bike. The miles I would put on the bike would be mostly highway, say 80-20.

So do any of you inmates daily commute your 690? Will it last 5, 8, 10 plus years, or up to 50,000 plus miles?

I do know that oil, and valves have to be done at their predetermined maintenance schedule. But will the valves last at least 15,000-20,000 miles? Before needing more than an adjustment? How about the engine in general or trans? I do also understand that there will be regular bike maintenance as well, i.e. tires, bearings, suspension, etc.

Cliff Notes,

Any current 690 Enduro riders ride their 690 as a daily commuter?
I will be riding 2500-5000 miles annually.
80-20 highway-dirt.
Will this bike last 5, 8, 10 years or 50,000 plus miles?
Will the valves last at least 15,000-20,000 Miles?
The engine and trans in general?
jlemond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
13x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
i use my 690 for daily commuting (average at 40-50km daily), touring and abit of adventure.
got it earlier this year (jan) and I'm at 17,000km on the odo.

here are the major stuff i have done,

10,000km - Rear tyres (TKC80)
12,000km - Rocker arms & valve clearance (the dealer mentioned that my rocker arm had too much freeplay so he replaced it under warranty)

even thou the manual recommends oil change every 10,000km, i change mine every 5,000km

I've gotten myself a pair of motard rims since I doing mostly road riding.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #3
jlemond OP
King of No0bs

Jesus H Rice...
You get around sir 13X. Your daily commute is half of mine, but you ride daily and ill only be riding 1-3 days a week. I find it odd that the rocker arm was loose enough to be out of tolerance. But under warranty is great. Did you have any intake, exhaust mods or maps? Then again KTM CA is different than KTM USA warranty wise right?

I believe the imperial conversion in the manual reads 6200 and some miles, but like you, I plan on every 3500 miles when doing mostly commuting and less when I am off road.
I also plan on getting a set of super moto wheels and tires, better mileage. Both mpg, even if minimal and rubber life.

Lets keep this thread alive, I welcome any and all input about this topic from 690 Enduro owners. Thanks to everyone in advance.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
13x
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Well I live in Singapore that is only 49km from east to west and 25km from north to south.

I changed out my air filter to the rally raid foam filter, sadly due to local emission laws, i have problem finding a exhaust that is e-type approved. So basically I'm running lean, but judging from my spark plug it seems fine.

I'm puzzled with the rocker arm problem as well, but after he changed it and adjusted the clearance, engine sound soooo much quieter.

not sure about warranty else where, mine is covered 2 years.

Super moto wheels will last much more than the semi's on the stock setup.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:35 AM   #5
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
It's a street model, no issue commuting it. Here an 08 did 80.000ks commuting before being sold. No real issues.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
jlemond OP
King of No0bs

Damn, look at me. My first thread here and I'm already ASS-uming that km means either Canaduh (pun intended) or the UK/EU etc. Singapore is really that small? That's smaller than Rhode Island I believe. And your emissions are as strict as ours are here in Cali. Well at least we get to share the short end of the stick.

That's great that it fixed your engine issue. Even better that you didn't even know about it and it got fixed. Sadly, unless it has changed we only get a one year warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13x View Post
Well I live in Singapore that is only 49km from east to west and 25km from north to south.

I changed out my air filter to the rally raid foam filter, sadly due to local emission laws, i have problem finding a exhaust that is e-type approved. So basically I'm running lean, but judging from my spark plug it seems fine.

I'm puzzled with the rocker arm problem as well, but after he changed it and adjusted the clearance, engine sound soooo much quieter.

not sure about warranty else where, mine is covered 2 years.

Super moto wheels will last much more than the semi's on the stock setup.
This is what I thought. Its good to get more reinforcement on this thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
It's a street model, no issue commuting it. Here an 08 did 80.000ks commuting before being sold. No real issues.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
nwvic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I commute on mine about once per month. That's enough for me to realize my commute sucks. With a 29" inseam and no legal ability to split lanes in Oregon, it's a lot of stop and go, not fun.

I purchased mine for weekend rides in the mountains which it excels at. I keep it shod with knobbies, not lowered, no screen etc. which reinforces its dirt-oriented nature.

However, I took a longer ride with a friend this summer (650 miles in 3 days) with quite a bit of 2 lane highway. It was fine, and actually fun, on tight twisty highway and absolutely awesome in the dirt (or on the beach).

I'll end up putting about 2000 miles on mine per year but since this is my first year, I haven't worried about maintenance much yet. It is performing excellent with no issues so far.

I don't think 2000-2500 miles a year is very much for commuting. I also think a more 50/50 tire and wind screen would make it a good commuter if that's your need.

I find myself looking forward to riding my 690 as much as my GSXR600 track bike. Go for it!
nwvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlemond View Post
Damn, look at me. My first thread here and I'm already ASS-uming that km means either Canaduh (pun intended) or the UK/EU etc.
That'w why the board has the handy little location space in your profile for you to fill out so people know where you are. Of course that means the n00bs here have to ACTUALLY fill it out.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
DirtSolace
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
some stuff to share....

got a 2013 690 late March put on 4000 miles 1/3 dirt 2/3 asphalt

Started out with Sahara 3's front and rear which were really great (for 2000 miles) on Pavement and pretty good on fireroads and intermediate sand, dirt, and rock (20lbs rear/18 lbs front)

80MPH on freeway GREAT: ESPECIALLY AFTER INSTALLING SCOTT DAMPER AND WINDSCREEN

tried MT 21 on front for another 800 miles-much better through loose rock gardens and tracking on sand and loose dirt--okay on asphalt twisties.

finally put on MT 21 rear for last 1200 miles (1/3 dirt-2/3 asphalt)--really great on ALL dirt including pumice but had to slow down on twisties a bit and 70 on Freeway feels okay but not 80MPH (60-65 could go all day 4500+ RPM's)

I think the bike is great, and can see my riding surface can easily be matched with tires. My next experiment is to back off of advanced dirt and regain more fun, precision and speed on asphalt with a rear karoo 3 (at least i'm hoping this will be a favorable adjustment)

No comment upon durability over time.... catch me in a couple of years. However, bike doesn't even seem to really work hard until im over 5000 RPM's. With Uni, Wings exhaust, ALL smog crap removed, stock map, and 3 Ignition map choices, I can match torque sensitivity to conditions: #1 for sand and pumice; #2 for kick-ass twisty fun; and #3 for dirt in general. (round switch rewired to right side of bike for EASY changes)

NO regrets for me.....

--stan
DirtSolace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
jlemond OP
King of No0bs

I do plan on a Scotts, I used to live a mile or two from them until i bought my house in July. Also a wind screen is a must on road. Also a wind screen is a must on road on a small bike, especially when you have a peak on your helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwvic View Post
I don't think 2000-5000 miles a year is very much for commuting. I also think a more 50/50 tire and wind screen would make it a good commuter if that's your need.
I will go and do that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
That'w why the board has the handy little location space in your profile for you to fill out so people know where you are. Of course that means the n00bs here have to ACTUALLY fill it out.
Keep us updated about the tire experiments. I will be running ADV tires until I can afford SM tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtSolace View Post
some stuff to share....

Started out with Sahara 3's front and rear which were really great (for 2000 miles) on Pavement and pretty good on fireroads and intermediate sand, dirt, and rock (20lbs rear/18 lbs front)

80MPH on freeway GREAT: ESPECIALLY AFTER INSTALLING SCOTT DAMPER AND WINDSCREEN

tried MT 21 on front for another 800 miles-much better through loose rock gardens and tracking on sand and loose dirt--okay on asphalt twisties.

finally put on MT 21 rear for last 1200 miles (1/3 dirt-2/3 asphalt)--really great on ALL dirt including pumice but had to slow down on twisties a bit and 70 on Freeway feels okay but not 80MPH (60-65 could go all day 4500+ RPM's)

I think the bike is great, and can see my riding surface can easily be matched with tires. My next experiment is to back off of advanced dirt and regain more fun, precision and speed on asphalt with a rear karoo 3 (at least i'm hoping this will be a favorable adjustment)

No comment upon durability over time.... catch me in a couple of years. However, bike doesn't even seem to really work hard until im over 5000 RPM's. With Uni, Wings exhaust, ALL smog crap removed, stock map, and 3 Ignition map choices, I can match torque sensitivity to conditions: #1 for sand and pumice; #2 for kick-ass twisty fun; and #3 for dirt in general. (round switch rewired to right side of bike for EASY changes)

NO regrets for me.....

--stan
Old 09-06-2013, 04:32 AM   #11
JParanee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I just got a 690 and I love it

I live in PA

I flew to Indianna and bought it new and made the 725 mile run back home in under 12 hrs

I had them mail me the factory tires and put on MT 90's

So far a great tire

As of yesterday I added a Kouba link an FMF can.

Love the link and the exhaust

I have a 30 inch inseam and did not like looking like I stole my dads bike at red lights :)

The Bike now sits about an inch and a half lower after adding link and dropping forks 3/4 of an inch

I have the suspension pretty dialed in but I'm heading to my old track bike tuner in the am for a final suspension setup

Have more goodies on the way and I'm really enjoying this bike

JParanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:11 AM   #12
jlemond OP
King of No0bs

This. I will be doing the MT90's as well. Keep me updated on off road performance and how many miles you get out of them. I have been thinking about the Kouba link as I am just barely on the balls of my feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParanee View Post
I just got a 690 and I love it

I had them mail me the factory tires and put on MT 90's

As of yesterday I added a Kouba link an FMF can.

Love the link and the exhaust

I have a 30 inch inseam and did not like looking like I stole my dads bike at red lights :)

The Bike now sits about an inch and a half lower after adding link and dropping forks 3/4 of an inch

I have the suspension pretty dialed in but I'm heading to my old track bike tuner in the am for a final suspension setup

Have more goodies on the way and I'm really enjoying this bike

Old 09-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #13
MakoRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Commute, errands and play

I picked my 2013 690R in Conyers, Georgia and took the backroads home to NE Florida. Stock MT 21 tires (still). I love the bike. I ride about 85 miles round trip when I commute to work. In stock form I find the bike a little squirrelly on the front end about 70MPH but better when getting towards 80MPH on the freeway. Have had it to 88 and it feels real sweet on the power. The engine wants to keep going faster, but I'm not comfortable with the fuzz popping me for a big ticket.

I ride freeway, highway, city, fast dirt/sand roads, sloppy muddy trails and single track through the woods. This is an all around good bike. So It is probably not the best bike at both extremes of being a Adventure/Touring street bike or Hardcore Off-Road bike in stock form. The bike would be better suited to commute with Pirelli MT90s. A steering dampener couldn't hurt.

This bike is it is so adaptable. You see these 690s set up as adventure/street touring bikes to rally racing bikes. I see there are KTM 690s in this years Baja 1000. So take that bike anywhere. Just set it up the way you want. Then take it to work on Monday.

The only mods I have are; Flatland skid plate and Wings exhaust. Both are excellent products and great values. The Wings sounds great. There is a minuscule amount of popping with the exhaust. I still have stock mapping and stock air filter.

P.S. I get about 60 mpg.

MakoRider screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 05:43 AM Reason: mileage
MakoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #14
Tbone675
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
i have a 09 that i got in late 10 as a left over, now with 5600 miles on it. my experiences are mostly good.

first i cant keep a tire on it. i started with the mt21s that were stock and the rear lasted about 650 miles before it was bald. i now run the mt90s i have been through 4 of them on the rear. i have no idea how people get 3000 miles out of a knobby, i cant even get that of a 70/30 tire like the mt90 to go 2000. the mt90 is a great tire imo, it is great in the rocks and dry conditions. the only time is suffers is in the slick mud and wet grass. you can make a sportbike rider look dumb on this bike with these tires in the twisties.

second if commuting at night the stock headlight is useless. look into a led setup from baja designs. i have the trailtech X2 hid and it is ok but unreliable. sent it back 3 times because it would go out when hitting small bumps in my driveway. they have ballast issues.

third bike reliability...my bike all stock except a fmf q4 can and a foam air filter. late last year i went to take the bike out for a last ride, when i fired it up and let it warm up as I put my helmet on it seized up and died. i opened it up this summer and it was a broken rocker arm. i change my oil every 3k with the recommended oil. i replaced the cam, both arms, gaskets, valve cover for 300$ and its back up and running great.

is this a good bike, no...its a great bike, but has its issues. is it a good commuter bike, not really, not super comfortable the throttle is a little snatchy at low speeds. if you like to dabble off road and you want a high performance machine and only have money for one bike this is your bike. just be prepared this performance comes with the price of one or two issues that will creep up, its not a question of if but when.
Tbone675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #15
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,066
Scotts - I got a damper too. It helps above 70mph, but at 90 the front gets a little wobbly again. I think it is the shape of the front tire (MT21) plus the freeway buffeting on my shoulders. The MT90 tires are more triangular and track better at speed. Mefo Explorer tires are more aggressive and are triangular as well. I have experience with both on my old 950.

Vibes - Mine is still a little buzzy, so I am going to try foam superbike grips. I don't feel the buzz at all when I wear winter gloves, so I figure the larger foam grips would help.

Kouba Link - I installed a 1 inch Kouba. I had to cut the side stand too. I cut it 1/2 inch, but not quite enough. I may cut it again.

Tire noise - I'm going to mount Michelin Desert tires next, since I already have them. I am hoping they are quieter than the MT21's. I have Michelin T63's on my Yamaha, which are quiet.

Seat comfort - I recco the Seat Concepts kit. Much better. Short riders should not get the gripper fabric on top. You will still need to slide you butt around at stops even with the lower link. The gripper prevents that and I have dropped mine twice as a result. Tipovers at stops or parking lots.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote