ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #31
dwayne
Silly Adventurer
 
dwayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: wheelie in purgatory, Calgary
Oddometer: 3,114
I can see the WR as a Dual Sport, however to me an adventure bike must be able of putting on some days with big milage (600 miles or more) on the slab, say 10-12 hours of running time a day. Anything without at least a long day's ride to the adventure is a dual sport day in my book.

Using that logic, I think the 525 is at best a marginal Adv bike, and the 450 is about the same. Combine the short maintiance and overhaul intervals with the lack af a substantial subframe, no cush drive, smaller fuel tanks etc and I wouldn't bother.

I think they make really good Dual Sports, but not adventure bikes.
__________________
Rum Runners Yukon, NWT & Alaska
Roads and Ruins Scotland
Kinbasket Lake Golden B.C.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah


"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #32
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne
I can see the WR as a Dual Sport, however to me an adventure bike must be able of putting on some days with big milage (600 miles or more) on the slab, say 10-12 hours of running time a day. Anything without at least a long day's ride to the adventure is a dual sport day in my book.

Using that logic, I think the 525 is at best a marginal Adv bike, and the 450 is about the same. Combine the short maintiance and overhaul intervals with the lack af a substantial subframe, no cush drive, smaller fuel tanks etc and I wouldn't bother.

I think they make really good Dual Sports, but not adventure bikes.
what makes the 530 better than the Wr450? Yes i know the 6th gear makes a big difference. But you could sort the WR out with just a slight regear.

Ive added the Promoto rack and im actually impressed. Takes a jerrycan, tent and sleeping bag with no trouble.

Rest of the stuff in a backpack and there is very little that will stop you.
__________________
Honda XR650R
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 950SE
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #33
Summit Seeker
Adventurer
 
Summit Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Beautiful British Columbia
Oddometer: 29
Wr450

I tend to agree with most opions here, If you want to put on the big miles you would probably be happier with a longer stroke engine. I have a o6 450 that I use saddle bags and a large duffle that will carry all my camping gear with, oh and my backpack The bike has 3.3 Accerbis tank(200 mile range), skid plate, Rad guards, Rear Rack, stock gearing, Barkbusters, softer seat ect. I find the bike runs quite happy at 50-60 mph, Living in British Columbia Canada and having Rain Forest to Deserts, pavement to single track,we dont need to travel so far, but if I wanted to travel to other provinces or countries I would prefer KLR 650, 650 XL DR650 or something similier, As far as dependability I have 12000 k and have done nothing to the engine other then staying on top of maintenance Oil, Oil filters, Sparkplug, tires. I have had several other bikes ie, dr350, xt350, xt600 ect, but you dont get the same thrill when you twist the throttle.
Summit Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #34
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Rolla, MO
Oddometer: 634
6.6 Acerbes tank

I have a brand new 6.6 gal tank I never put on my bike I am going to sell..........It is clear and for the 03-06 WRF year.

PM if interested
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:07 AM   #35
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger1
I have a brand new 6.6 gal tank I never put on my bike I am going to sell..........It is clear and for the 03-06 WRF year.

PM if interested
What are you looking for?

Ship outside US?
__________________
Honda XR650R
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 950SE
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 AM   #36
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Rolla, MO
Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0
What are you looking for?

Ship outside US?
PM Sent
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #37
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,373
whats the best tire combo for the 450?

606 front and rear?
__________________
Honda XR650R
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 950SE
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:13 AM   #38
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie
 
wickit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: West
Oddometer: 653
Thanks for keeping this thread going. Just received my Trail Tech Vapor and some sprockets for gearing. Hope to get on the install/testing thing in a few days. Will post up the info I find out if anyone is interested. Just replaced my fork seals and the oil was TOTALLY SCREWED! Just came out like a big old glob of snot. Needless to say I will be changing it out every year from now on. Even had some rust on the inside on the little metal cup thingy majiger. Totally shocked how bad it was after only around 4k of off road riding. Check out the f800 thread on a german tire. Really looks to be a good durable on off road tire. I only run full dirt on mine and the Maxxis seems to last the longest. About 1500 miles to a rear tire for pavement.
__________________
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

AA stands for Alaskan Amber right?
wickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:28 PM   #39
dwayne
Silly Adventurer
 
dwayne's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: wheelie in purgatory, Calgary
Oddometer: 3,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevh0
what makes the 530 better than the Wr450? Yes i know the 6th gear makes a big difference. But you could sort the WR out with just a slight regear.

Ive added the Promoto rack and im actually impressed. Takes a jerrycan, tent and sleeping bag with no trouble.

Rest of the stuff in a backpack and there is very little that will stop you.
I don't think either is an acceptable compromise for an "adventure" bike. I think they are both fine dual sports. It all come down to definitions and symantics.

I feel adventure bikes need to be able to endure big road miles (more than 200ish miles/day) a couple of time per week. I think the WR250 D/S version is a much more capable adventure bike.
__________________
Rum Runners Yukon, NWT & Alaska
Roads and Ruins Scotland
Kinbasket Lake Golden B.C.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah


"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #40
rhino_343
Southern Explorer
 
rhino_343's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Yallingup Western Australia
Oddometer: 2,128
I have a acerbis mid size tank (about 14 litres I think) and the Giantloop Coyote on my WR450f (2007) and they are perfect. I just did about 2500k's around Cambodia on a WR250f with the Giant Loop Coyote on and hardly even noticed it was there except when doing jumps (wasnt a problem but just would notice it there) I also use a Wolfman enduro tankbag (the small one) on long trips.
I have no hesitation doing rides upto 1000k's long without changing the oil in my WR but I normally change oil and filter every 500k's cause it is a cheap way to look after the engine and get a long life from it... A small pillion size Airhawk will help with long days in the saddle as well!
__________________
Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
Suzuki DR650SE P I G
Husaberg FE350
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #41
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickit
Thanks for keeping this thread going. Just received my Trail Tech Vapor and some sprockets for gearing. Hope to get on the install/testing thing in a few days. Will post up the info I find out if anyone is interested. Just replaced my fork seals and the oil was TOTALLY SCREWED! Just came out like a big old glob of snot. Needless to say I will be changing it out every year from now on. Even had some rust on the inside on the little metal cup thingy majiger. Totally shocked how bad it was after only around 4k of off road riding. Check out the f800 thread on a german tire. Really looks to be a good durable on off road tire. I only run full dirt on mine and the Maxxis seems to last the longest. About 1500 miles to a rear tire for pavement.
I think you are refering to the heidenau k60. Great dual tire. Guys are getting 8000miles on a rear and 12000 on the front.

The front however seems to be loose on dirt. Id rather run a dot knob on the front and a dualsport tire in the rear.

what sprockets did u decide on?
__________________
Honda XR650R
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 950SE
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #42
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_343
I have a acerbis mid size tank (about 14 litres I think) and the Giantloop Coyote on my WR450f (2007) and they are perfect. I just did about 2500k's around Cambodia on a WR250f with the Giant Loop Coyote on and hardly even noticed it was there except when doing jumps (wasnt a problem but just would notice it there) I also use a Wolfman enduro tankbag (the small one) on long trips.
I have no hesitation doing rides upto 1000k's long without changing the oil in my WR but I normally change oil and filter every 500k's cause it is a cheap way to look after the engine and get a long life from it... A small pillion size Airhawk will help with long days in the saddle as well!
Oil changes depends on the use.

If I ride alot of dunes and enduro like terrain, ill change the oil every 6-10hours, depending how hard Ive ridden it. Motors tend to take alot of punninshment in sand.

If you regear and running 70mph @ 7500 rpm, you should be fine for running that for 100miles at a time. Servicing it at 1000km is fine.


The airhawk is a must have. Its on my shortlist with the 6.6 gallon tank and the more road orrientated tires.
__________________
Honda XR650R
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 950SE
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #43
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie
 
wickit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: West
Oddometer: 653
Sunstar 15t front as they are well built durable and equal Renthal quality IMO. RMA 47T rear off from Rocky Mountain. I would prefer a 45T rear to start out with, but do not want to spend a lot of money on trial and error sprockets. After I find the correct rear sprocket I will pony up for a top quality replacement. If I have to get a new chain I will look for a new stocker take off and just cut it down. Very happy with my stock drivetrain so far.

Steveho your running a Trail Tech Vapor correct? What RPM is your WR running at 70mph in 5th with 15/45 gearing? Did you write down what your 14/50 RPM was at 50mph? I don't know what RPM it was, but my bike ran the best feel for cruising at 50-55mph in 5th. If you have that data it would save me some cash buying sprockets.

Yes that is the tire. I don't know what I am going to do, but for now still sticking with full on dirt tires. I know unless it is similar to a 606 it would not have the off road traction I prefer. On a different bike I would be looking at a good dual sport tire, but if there is a hill to climb, mud to dig, or what ever I'm pretty much going to try it on the WR. A 14K bike such as the 800 or 990 I hope would cause me a little more caution.

Does the 6.6 Acerbis petcocks sit in the same location as the 3.3? I just installed the 3.3 last summer, but will be putting a 6.6 on very shortly. Yes it is a huge tank, but I really do need the range without carrying fuel. Just wondering if I have to do it all over again to get it plumbed in. Not that it is a huge deal. I will be adding in a seperate valve with a drain hose to transfer fuel. Way easier then siphoning it for another bike.

Oh yeah I have a barely used (no scratches) blue Acerbis 3.3 if anyone wants it.
__________________
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

AA stands for Alaskan Amber right?

wickit screwed with this post 01-25-2010 at 01:55 PM
wickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #44
stevh0 OP
Super Retard.
 
stevh0's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Cape Town, ZA
Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickit
Sunstar 15t front as they are well built durable and equal Renthal quality IMO. RMA 47T rear off from Rocky Mountain. I would prefer a 45T rear to start out with, but do not want to spend a lot of money on trial and error sprockets. After I find the correct rear sprocket I will pony up for a top quality replacement. If I have to get a new chain I will look for a new stocker take off and just cut it down. Very happy with my stock drivetrain so far.

Steveho your running a Trail Tech Vapor correct? What RPM is your WR running at 70mph in 5th with 15/45 gearing? Did you write down what your 14/50 RPM was at 50mph? I don't know what RPM it was, but my bike ran the best feel for cruising at 50-55mph in 5th. If you have that data it would save me some cash buying sprockets.

Yes that is the tire. I don't know what I am going to do, but for now still sticking with full on dirt tires. I know unless it is similar to a 606 it would not have the off road traction I prefer. On a different bike I would be looking at a good dual sport tire, but if there is a hill to climb, mud to dig, or what ever I'm pretty much going to try it on the WR. A 14K bike such as the 800 or 990 I hope would cause me a little more caution.

Does the 6.6 Acerbis petcocks sit in the same location as the 3.3? I just installed the 3.3 last summer, but will be putting a 6.6 on very shortly. Yes it is a huge tank, but I really do need the range without carrying fuel. Just wondering if I have to do it all over again to get it plumbed in. Not that it is a huge deal. I will be adding in a seperate valve with a drain hose to transfer fuel. Way easier then siphoning it for another bike.

Oh yeah I have a barely used (no scratches) blue Acerbis 3.3 if anyone wants it.
I did not have the vapor on when I was running the 45 rear. I can tell you that its long enough to hit 100mph+ on gravel with ease. Technical terrain turns into alot of clutch riding.

With the 13-50 at 70mph i run about 9500rpm with the 15-50 i run 7500 at 70. The 15-45 would probably be around 5500-6000rpm at 70mph.

I dont think its really neccesary for you to go down to a 45. Guys who run races out in the desert up in north africa have been running 15-48 setups for years. The claim it gives them enough bottom end power for some dunes and they are still able to hit 80-90mph on the straights.

I think 45 is an overkill. But for now im happy with the 15-50 setup if I need a little more speed. Standing at riding above 70mph is way uncomfortable.
__________________
Honda XR650R
Yamaha YZ250WR
Ex 950SE
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #45
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie
 
wickit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: West
Oddometer: 653
Thanks for the info...started to put the vapor on tonight. I have it mounted with the plastic clamp, but will move it down to replace the stock odo after I do some gearing tests. How the hell did you get that cheap screw to thread into your caliper? No way in hell will it work, Trying to find some info on a metric tap.
__________________
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

AA stands for Alaskan Amber right?
wickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014