ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #556
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff
 
wilkinsonk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Sanford, NC
Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
Looks like after todays temps most of NJ (mid to southern) will be clear of snow which is a good thing as our first race (enduro) of the season is Sunday
Best of Luck at Sandy Lane. I had intended to have my bike back together before now, but events have transpired to keep the WR450 in pieces. Maybe Curly Fern, but if not defiantely Delaware!


- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #557
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jolly705's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Tri State Area
Oddometer: 2,386
DE is one of my favorite runs as long as it is dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
Best of Luck at Sandy Lane. I had intended to have my bike back together before now, but events have transpired to keep the WR450 in pieces. Maybe Curly Fern, but if not defiantely Delaware!


- Ken
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #558
where2next?
Map guy
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 193
I have the same bike. few thoughts, Power is insane. I still have the grey wire and the throttle stop in and it wheelies in third gear. More than enough for Baja Sand- maybe too much for Alberta mountain trials.... I have the same tank and it was more than enough for remote baja. the safari tank will cost you in ride-ability on trails. IMHO, I'd rather pack fuel another way when I needed it. These bikes lack a cush drive and are generally not suited to long road miles, small oil capacity, short stroke motor etc... you likely know that already though.
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #559
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jolly705's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Tri State Area
Oddometer: 2,386
I posted this in the other thread but figured I would share, here is my DS/ ADV bike

Just added a FMF and USB/ 12V charger for my GPS (need to test)





Before charger added but with GPS mounted on Touratech

Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #560
where2next?
Map guy
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 193
Ive had this stalling problem before. Where would you suggest re routig the vent hoses to? Im going to do a pre season tear down so it would be a good time to deal with this...
where2next? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:05 AM   #561
solitary1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: northern england
Oddometer: 23
i routed mine up past the headstock along with the wiring loom to just behind the trailtech vapor
solitary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #562
motomike14
Thumper Crusader
 
motomike14's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Florida
Oddometer: 1,679
The WR has a condition where the front wheel doesn't stay on the ground a whole lot. Oh well.

__________________
"The bold adventurer succeeds the best. - Ovid

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #563
Farmer Roy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Farmer Roy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Gunnedah - north west NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 246
Australian WR450 long distance dirt riding

WR450 Long Range Desert Weapon
umm G'day
just come back from a 5 day, 3 State, 3300km high speed blast out to Cameron Corner on my WR450
Gunnedah, Narrabri, Pilliga, Walget, Carinda, Bourke, Wanaaring, Tibooburra, the Corner, back along Middle Road to Tibooburra, Broken Hill, Menindee, along the south side of the Darling River to Wilcannia, Tilpa, Louth, Bourke, up to Collerina, Goodooga, Hebel, Dirranbandi, Nindigully, Mungindi, the Watercourse Road to Moree, then back to Gunnedah.
travelled with one other bike, a 650 Transalp
carried everything on bike, fuel, water, swag, food, tools.
sat on 110 - 150 most of the way, big distances 150 on the dirt
bike standard WR with 16 litre Safari ( carried 9l fuel bladder ) & cush sprocket 15 - 45 gearing, and a home made screen upcycled from a plastic 20l chemical drum
carried litre bottle of oil with me, did oil change at Broken Hill
carried clean / oiled airfilter, plus used chux wipes as filter skins
averaged about 17 - 18km/l
Kush sprocket lost all its 'cush' somewhere between Bourke & Wanaaring on Day 1 - 760km, but kept driving metal on metal for the following 2600km of the trip without any issues. I was a bit cautious with it Day 2, but didnt worry about it after that & it got a fair thrashing
luggage was oztrail biker swag, light shoes & fuel bladder strapped onto el cheapo ebay rack at rear
Wolfman E-12 saddlebags, left side carried water, right side toiletries & t shirt / shorts for evening wear
Wolfman tank panniers, left side bike maintainence, oil / airfilter / chain lube etc, right side stove, torch, rum flask etc
Wolfman tank bag carried hat, wallet, wipes, camera, maps etc
Camel back 2 l water, 6 x Back Country Cuisine dehydrated meals, 6 x ziplock bags of rolled oats, dried fruit & milk powder, tea bags, toilet roll, muesli bars
carried a Pit Posse bumbag for tools
Wolfman fender bag on front gaurd with 2 spare tubes
I made the mistake of changing the fuel / ignition mapping back to standard in an effort to improve fuel economy but i dont think it did, & it lost top end power in that high speed sand & powdery conditions. I decided to leave the Power Tuner at home cos I was keeping the packing to a minimum, but next time I think I'll just leave it set on the Aussie Map
Front tyre was the original Bridgestone Gritty E 3 ( something like that ) at 22 psi, it wore well
Rear tyre was a brand new Dunlop 606, 120/90-18 run at a constant 18 psi. Brilliant tyre, gripped well, wore well, with some hot fast running. Instant choice for next rear tyre
No flat tyres
Only mechanical issue apart from the Kush sprocket is the chain slider didnt last & the chain started to chew its way into the swingarm. Found a discarded 20l plastic chemical drum & made a new one out of it, taking some of the drum to make spares. First one didnt work very well, Mark Two made it to Moree, and just slipping a bit more plastic under that one got me back to Gunnedah
Seat was ok untill the last day, when it really started to be an issue. In Moree I sat on the concrete footpath to eat lunch & it was so comfortable, I might replace my seat with a paving stone
when i got home i gave the WR a pat on its headlight & said " good bike "
all in all, an awesome ride on an awesome bike
anyone who says you cant do distance on a WR, or cant 'Adventure' one, well, harden up aye . . . .
love my WR450
Farmer Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:32 PM   #564
Farmer Roy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Farmer Roy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Gunnedah - north west NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 246
450 Quad bike clutch basket for WR ??

umm, i have heard somewhere that the clutch from a yammie 450 quad bike has some sort of dampener or cushion in it, will fit a WR450 & is an alternative to a cush drive hub

can anyone enlighten me or tell me more?
Farmer Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:59 AM   #565
KGSloan
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Roy View Post
umm, i have heard somewhere that the clutch from a yammie 450 quad bike has some sort of dampener or cushion in it, will fit a WR450 & is an alternative to a cush drive hub

can anyone enlighten me or tell me more?
you are correct - you must also buy the drive gear for the quad (the gear pitch is different than the bike), the part is around $50 - the clutch basket is around $250. I just did this on my 2004 WR450 478cc, YZ Cams, dual sport.

http://partstream.arinet.com/Image?a...Fari-main.html

#1 and #4 in the above diagram and it all bolts right up. this is how Yamaha addressed the transmission shock issue with the added traction in the quad.

yamaha part #
5TG-16111-00-00 PRIMARY DRIVE GEAR
5D3-16150-00-00 PRIMARY DRIVEN GEAR COMP. aka "clutch basket"

KGSloan screwed with this post 03-24-2014 at 04:36 AM
KGSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #566
Jolly705
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jolly705's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Tri State Area
Oddometer: 2,386
I think we need proof that this trip actually took place with some photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Roy View Post
umm, i have heard somewhere that the clutch from a yammie 450 quad bike has some sort of dampener or cushion in it, will fit a WR450 & is an alternative to a cush drive hub

can anyone enlighten me or tell me more?
Jolly705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #567
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,302
Yamaha WR450F Adventure Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Roy View Post
WR450 Long Range Desert Weapon
umm G'day
just come back from a 5 day, 3 State, 3300km high speed blast out to Cameron Corner on my WR450
Gunnedah, Narrabri, Pilliga, Walget, Carinda, Bourke, Wanaaring, Tibooburra, the Corner, back along Middle Road to Tibooburra, Broken Hill, Menindee, along the south side of the Darling River to Wilcannia, Tilpa, Louth, Bourke, up to Collerina, Goodooga, Hebel, Dirranbandi, Nindigully, Mungindi, the Watercourse Road to Moree, then back to Gunnedah.
travelled with one other bike, a 650 Transalp
carried everything on bike, fuel, water, swag, food, tools.
sat on 110 - 150 most of the way, big distances 150 on the dirt
bike standard WR with 16 litre Safari ( carried 9l fuel bladder ) & cush sprocket 15 - 45 gearing, and a home made screen upcycled from a plastic 20l chemical drum
carried litre bottle of oil with me, did oil change at Broken Hill
carried clean / oiled airfilter, plus used chux wipes as filter skins
averaged about 17 - 18km/l
Kush sprocket lost all its 'cush' somewhere between Bourke & Wanaaring on Day 1 - 760km, but kept driving metal on metal for the following 2600km of the trip without any issues. I was a bit cautious with it Day 2, but didnt worry about it after that & it got a fair thrashing
luggage was oztrail biker swag, light shoes & fuel bladder strapped onto el cheapo ebay rack at rear
Wolfman E-12 saddlebags, left side carried water, right side toiletries & t shirt / shorts for evening wear
Wolfman tank panniers, left side bike maintainence, oil / airfilter / chain lube etc, right side stove, torch, rum flask etc
Wolfman tank bag carried hat, wallet, wipes, camera, maps etc
Camel back 2 l water, 6 x Back Country Cuisine dehydrated meals, 6 x ziplock bags of rolled oats, dried fruit & milk powder, tea bags, toilet roll, muesli bars
carried a Pit Posse bumbag for tools
Wolfman fender bag on front gaurd with 2 spare tubes
I made the mistake of changing the fuel / ignition mapping back to standard in an effort to improve fuel economy but i dont think it did, & it lost top end power in that high speed sand & powdery conditions. I decided to leave the Power Tuner at home cos I was keeping the packing to a minimum, but next time I think I'll just leave it set on the Aussie Map
Front tyre was the original Bridgestone Gritty E 3 ( something like that ) at 22 psi, it wore well
Rear tyre was a brand new Dunlop 606, 120/90-18 run at a constant 18 psi. Brilliant tyre, gripped well, wore well, with some hot fast running. Instant choice for next rear tyre
No flat tyres
Only mechanical issue apart from the Kush sprocket is the chain slider didnt last & the chain started to chew its way into the swingarm. Found a discarded 20l plastic chemical drum & made a new one out of it, taking some of the drum to make spares. First one didnt work very well, Mark Two made it to Moree, and just slipping a bit more plastic under that one got me back to Gunnedah
Seat was ok untill the last day, when it really started to be an issue. In Moree I sat on the concrete footpath to eat lunch & it was so comfortable, I might replace my seat with a paving stone
when i got home i gave the WR a pat on its headlight & said " good bike "
all in all, an awesome ride on an awesome bike
anyone who says you cant do distance on a WR, or cant 'Adventure' one, well, harden up aye . . . .
love my WR450

Which edition of the Kush sprocket fragged? The latest? I tried to order a 45 and they were sold out last week. Saw a report of one that lasted 4000 miles so I thought I would give it a go. Now your report of it failing in 800 kilometers. Jeez.
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #568
MTDuke
Gnarly Adventurer
 
MTDuke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Big Sky Country
Oddometer: 368
Good stuff....

Thanks for those two links, good stuff.

I installed the 16l Safari on my 12 wr450f recently. Install was as described in link, easy enough. Although I could not get my fuel pump to seal. The tank itself where pump mates up was not level....even after sanding I had gas leaks. Used some super duper gas tank sealer to remount and left it for a week before putting gas in it. Sealed up nicely and I'm a couple of day rides in without leaks. I have read a number of problems such as mine so be aware.

The info on range is great. I mounted this tank for a 10 day baja dirt trip next month and do not have the riding time until then to get range nailed. Riding position has been fine for me and don't really notice its there. When full, no feeling of extra weight etc.. Of course I am not an extremely aggressive rider so others may have a different experience.




Quote:
Originally Posted by BygDaddee View Post
Read both links in section 9 of this and see what it doesn't tell you.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=565
__________________
Ride Reports
50 Red Bulls and a Pig on a Rocket
MTDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:32 PM   #569
Farmer Roy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Farmer Roy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Gunnedah - north west NSW, Australia
Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Which edition of the Kush sprocket fragged? The latest? I tried to order a 45 and they were sold out last week. Saw a report of one that lasted 4000 miles so I thought I would give it a go. Now your report of it failing in 800 kilometers. Jeez.
dunno which generation Kush mine was, I think it was the latest but maybe there is an update. Havent spoken to them yet.
My sprocket did approx 1000km around home before the trip, it was about 700km into the trip the rubbers failed, so it probably did say 1600km ? I was hoping for at least 5000km. I think the high speed dirt riding over corrugations ( washboard ) and the pulsing effect contibuted to the failure, but thats exactly the situation where i want the dampening for the transmission

will report back when i speak to Mr Kush

cheers
Farmer Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #570
slowoldguy
Tire Tester
 
slowoldguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: West of Waco, Texas
Oddometer: 8,302
Yamaha WR450F Adventure Bike

Please do report back. And ask him about availability too if you could.
__________________
RTB V- The Texas ADV Rally- Hurry before we fuck this up!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
"If you can't fix it with a hammer you can damn sure teach it a lesson".
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014