Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2010, 03:30 AM   #91
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
road set up for wr 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBoss
I have a 07 WR450F and want to use it more on the road (black top) to get to the off road stuff. I have all the lights, signals, mirrors and street legal plated done and other than the gearing and new seat it's ready to go. My concern is how will it hold up. Will I need to change oil every other day (30 hrs)? Will this type of riding increase valve adjustment requirements? Will it wear the top end/bottom end out (very) quickly? Crush drive from what?

It's a great off road (dirt) bike but I'm tired of trailering to areas to ride. I would rather ride to ride the trails and dirt. Essentially I want a TAT bike from my WR but am worried about reliability and longevity. Any solutions or wisdom? Thanks
A cush drive is a rear hub that has rubber isolation holding the sprocket to stop the hard facing on the gears in the gearbox from comming off and to stop the gears from shattering under hard acceleration and deceleration.

http://www.radmfg.com/cush%20kit.htm

A cush drive is also a must if you plan on doing long hard miles in sandy whooped out tracks where the gearbox is loaded and unloaded by uneven tracks. During a few big races here in Australia (Australian Safari and Finke)there have been a few cases where gear box failures have occured due to this.

NOTE THIS IS DURING RACE CONDITIONS AND USUALLY BY PRO RIDERS WHO HAVE THE BIKES ON WIDE OPEN THROTTLE FOR A LONG TIME

In regards to engine life riding on road, with a cush drive, Engine life should not be compramised if ridden sensibly You can still have fun but keep things within limits. They are not road bikes and shouldn't be ridden like one. If you can learn to keep some corner speed (this will take some time due to the way the suspension reacts) all will be good. If you come to a corner and slam the brakes on and then after leaving the corner give the bike 100% wide open throttle this hard deceleration and acceleration is what kills motors not normal riding

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:14 AM   #92
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,497
This bike will have no problem riding at 60mph for extended periods of time -- granted you have a 400 or 426 motor with upgraded crank pin. What this motor needs is a bit more oil (add an-inline radiator) to avoid more frequent changes, and extend oil life.

With higher gearing the motor will not spin as much, but it will also not be fun off-road. My gearing is at 15/47. Works decent for street hooliganism and off-road shenanigans.

In 5th gear, at 5950 out of 8500 RPM - you are looking at 60mph .

The motor should last you as long as same vintage TW200, or XT225.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #93
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

grearing and oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa
This bike will have no problem riding at 60mph for extended periods of time -- granted you have a 400 or 426 motor with upgraded crank pin. What this motor needs is a bit more oil (add an-inline radiator) to avoid more frequent changes, and extend oil life.

With higher gearing the motor will not spin as much, but it will also not be fun off-road. My gearing is at 15/47. Works decent for street hooliganism and off-road shenanigans.

In 5th gear, at 5950 out of 8500 RPM - you are looking at 60mph .

The motor should last you as long as same vintage TW200, or XT225.
Gearing and oil is the key to making these motors last.

Oil is cheap insurance change it often!

My crazy bike build
Old 09-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #94
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman

A cush drive is a rear hub that has rubber isolation holding the sprocket to stop the hard facing on the gears in the gearbox from comming off and to stop the gears from shattering under hard acceleration and deceleration.

http://www.radmfg.com/cush%20kit.htm

A cush drive is also a must if you plan on doing long hard miles in sandy whooped out tracks where the gearbox is loaded and unloaded by uneven tracks. During a few big races here in Australia (Australian Safari and Finke)there have been a few cases where gear box failures have occured due to this.

NOTE THIS IS DURING RACE CONDITIONS AND USUALLY BY PRO RIDERS WHO HAVE THE BIKES ON WIDE OPEN THROTTLE FOR A LONG TIME

In regards to engine life riding on road, with a cush drive, Engine life should not be compramised if ridden sensibly You can still have fun but keep things within limits. They are not road bikes and shouldn't be ridden like one. If you can learn to keep some corner speed (this will take some time due to the way the suspension reacts) all will be good. If you come to a corner and slam the brakes on and then after leaving the corner give the bike 100% wide open throttle this hard deceleration and acceleration is what kills motors not normal riding

Thanks for the wisdom. I'm pretty stoked about riding the WR more often not it is street ready. crush drive and bigger tank on the Christmas list! Thanks

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #95
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

I am adding a FMF Q4 to my shopping list, and dropping the gearing to 14/42 per another member's recommendation. I am afraid with such gearing it may loose its charm. I'm going to start eye balling auto-clutches so it won't be so bad off-road.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #96
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Got the Acerbies 3.3 tank installed and now thinking once again about gearing. I know this has been beat to death but......................gearing that will let me do 65 + and still ride the traials in comfort is.....what? 14-47? What about the best tire for road work and rock?

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss screwed with this post 10-13-2010 at 05:27 PM
Old 10-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #97
snatchy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
nice adventurised wr450

there is a nice wr450 featured in transmoto magazine at the moment
if you want a look at the first page of the article, it can be found online - this works right now, not sure when it will stop - presumably when the next issue comes out;
www.transmoto.com.au
click on the "issue no. 4, digital sample here" on the right side of the page. scroll through a few pages until an adventurised 450 comes up

it has a good set of mods;
- 20L front and 10L rear safari tanks
-new exhaust to suit the rear tank hanging low
- small windscreen
-cush hub rear wheel
- small rear rack
- etc etc

the good interesting mod is that he has added an external oil reservoir to bring oil capacity to 3 litres - they think good for 4000km between oil changes, permiting good long desert runs. the next page of the article in the magazine (not visable online) showed a basic diagram of the oil circuit and how he tapped into it etc. The reservoir was built into the custom bashplate. the weird bashplate and a few extra oil lines can be seen by those with a keen eye at that link above.

apparently he made a few bikes like this for his mates so they could do trips together.

the mega oil capacity idea was quite interesting i think.

snatchy screwed with this post 10-20-2010 at 02:51 AM
snatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:44 AM   #98
krisfront1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
hey, i read the story, its the best i have seen, l love it.
krisfront1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:41 AM   #99
yamahaman
wannabe bike builder

Thumb Been running a similar set up for last 18 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman

here is my yz 426 I run mine thru the desert here and I have the gearing to max out at 70 mph when I'm on the rev limiter I have obviously got the close ratio gear box so this limits me a bit. I do not ride on the road (blacktop) at all unless there is a problem all of my riding is done on the desert/bush tracks. I have a 10 litre (2.6 gal) tank on the back and 13 litre (3.4 gal) clarke tank on the front. I have re routed the exahust to suit. I get 330 km (210miles) out of my bike in the bush a little less in the desert I have my bike on the rich side to protect the motor.

My two cents worth is that these bikes wr426/wr450 are awsome bikes and well designed they are suitable as an adventure bike only if you fit a cush drive rear end and suitable gearing. I have had a lot of experience in these engines and can give more info if anbody wants

Im going to fit a headlight/map reader assy in th enear future

I have been banging on about Cush drives for ages and now the chickens have come home to roost as I havn't saved up for a cush drive of my own. I changed my gearing to 15/45 and this proved too much pressure for fifth gear and it has damaged his dogs between 5th and 3rd so after the first hundred k's! this is why gearing and cush drives are important. I survived the next 400km with only 4 gears. With this gearing combo in a yz box it was pulling 80kph at 6200 rpm in fourth in heavy sand. This is a very common problem in all yz/wr 450's beware all owners. Keep in mind this bike has done near 30 000 km and has been rebuilt twice good service life considering how hard this bike gets ridden....
dont be afraid of a wr as an adventurer only if set up properly

My crazy bike build
Old 10-20-2010, 05:52 AM   #100
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 714
Of the three bikes on the ride mentioned, two riders did one oil change in 4500 KMs.

Gary (in transmoto) did not change the oil for the entire ride and all looked good when he changed it back in Melbourne.

No problems with valves on the three bikes after the trip.

All three riders were amazed at how well the bikes went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchy
if you want a look at the first page of the article, it can be found online - this works right now, not sure when it will stop - presumably when the next issue comes out;
www.transmoto.com.au
click on the "issue no. 4, digital sample here" on the right side of the page. scroll through a few pages until an adventurised 450 comes up

- small windscreen
-cush hub rear wheel
- small rear rack
- etc etc

the good interesting mod is that he has added an external oil reservoir to bring oil capacity to 3 litres - they think good for 4000km between oil changes, permiting good long desert runs. the next page of the article in the magazine (not visable online) showed a basic diagram of the oil circuit and how he tapped into it etc. The reservoir was built into the custom bashplate. the weird bashplate and a few extra oil lines can be seen by those with a keen eye at that link above.

apparently he made a few bikes like this for his mates so they could do trips together.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #101
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchy
www.transmoto.com.au

- small windscreen
-cush hub rear wheel
- small rear rack
- etc etc

Does anybody know these guys? It would be awesome if you could post some pictures or other details of the oil coolers they added.

Cheers
Old 10-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #102
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Not-a-Continent-Crosser but a very capable dual sport. I prefer to take this bad boy into the woods vs the F800GS :)

Overall we did 200 miles; part of it on pavement, part of it on forest roads; and a couple of hundred feet of single track.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #103
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Anyone using, or know of, a manufacture produced oil cooler that can be added to the WR450F? I've added generic coolers to several bikes but want something "model appropriate" for the WR,,,,,(read) easy application

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

Old 10-24-2010, 05:56 PM   #104
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,188
Jagg
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #105
DiasDePlaya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
This is the WR 450 Dakar that John McKendrick (Chilean) will ride next Dakar.

And this is the bike that he rode last Dakar

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote