User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,326
2012 VW Passat Diesel

Ordered one months ago from that new billion dollar Tennessee facility.....it was delivered yesterday.....

for processing....

outside finally

clean and ready for home

this is a really nice car..... its the nicest car in the price range (IMHO) by a large margin. Then there is the whole 45 mpg thing....

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
RACER X
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
do they make a wagon version?
Old 11-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #3
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Can these cars run Bio Diesel without smoking your warranty? I love VW diesels, I wish they would bring back a modern version of that little diesel pickup they used to build.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Can these cars run Bio Diesel without smoking your warranty? I love VW diesels, I wish they would bring back a modern version of that little diesel pickup they used to build.
Not sure about that either. I somehow doubt they would still honor the warranty if you are adding mystery fuel and tinkering under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
No and I dont know if they plan to make one ....
Quote:
Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

and believe me..... 240 ft. lbs of torque in this thing is AWESOME.

Quote:
Old 11-29-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,123
Sweet... the Passat has gotten good reviews in both C&D and R&T recently.. nothing great in the handling department... but the 3.6 VR6 version did beat out Accord V6 and the new Turbo Sonata...

It sure seems like a bargain to me too...

I just checked the much dreaded cam on my MKV tdi at 80k and all looks well with the world... some chamfer wear on cylinder three as expected, but nothing out of the ordinary...

What else did you look at when shopping ?
A-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #7
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Sweet... the Passat has gotten good reviews in both C&D and R&T recently.. nothing great in the handling department... but the 3.6 VR6 version did beat out Accord V6 and the new Turbo Sonata...

It sure seems like a bargain to me too...

I just checked the much dreaded cam on my MKV tdi at 80k and all looks well with the world... some chamfer wear on cylinder three as expected, but nothing out of the ordinary...

What else did you look at when shopping ?
Accord, Volvo, Hyundai.... the usual. None of them really fit. We have a 1990 Accord with almost 300k on it. Brilliant car but its just time for something new. And I dont care what anyone says, the handling is great.

I actually kinda like the S60 Volvo but expensive and VERY vanilla for me.

The Passat is just the right fit.
Quote:
Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
My german friend is very excited to get one in wagon trim. He lives here in Canada.

I am surprised OP said they don't have one. Perhaps they'll have one for 2013?
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
jdiaz

Oddometer: 31,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post

I am surprised OP said they don't have one. Perhaps they'll have one for 2013?
VW won't bring in a regular Passat wagon, but might bring in their lifted SAV version.....sort of a VW Allroad, if you recall that Audi model.

All I hear is how unpopular the B6 Passat wagon was, but the VW dealers around here are asking 25% more for the wagons on their lots compared with the equivalent sedan models. There must be some wagon demand out there.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 849
I've been told the Jetta TDi Sportwagon is filling the wagon category for VW now - the Toureg is available if you want something with more capacity. I have an '11 TDi Jetta wagon with a six speed manual transmission and like it a lot - the gas mileage on long highway trips especially. Hope you enjoy the new Passat. It looks sweet.
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM   #11
eatpasta OP
Lawnmower Target

the guys at the dealership said that they cant get the Passats in fast enough. Hell, while I was waiting, two people tried to buy MY car!

The Jetta Sportwagon is pretty cool.... if you HAVE To have a wagon - thats the one to get.
Quote:
Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 37,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
VW won't bring in a regular Passat wagon, but might bring in their lifted SAV version.....sort of a VW Allroad, if you recall that Audi model.

All I hear is how unpopular the B6 Passat wagon was, but the VW dealers around here are asking 25% more for the wagons on their lots compared with the equivalent sedan models. There must be some wagon demand out there.

Jurgen' parents are close to pulling the trigger on a Passat TDi. Still cross shopping a bit. If Passat wagons were here I expect they would already have one. I think VW is dropping the ball by not bringing the standard wagon here. I'm sure the numbers aren't huge-- but there is a solid steady group that likes standard (not sport) wagons. Volvo has left the market. VW could swoop in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand_Russell
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,193
It pisses me off to no end that VW no longer offers fog lights on the Jetta/JSW. My next vehicle will have fog lights, preferably on both ends.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 AM   #14
A-Bone
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
the guys at the dealership said that they cant get the Passats in fast enough. Hell, while I was waiting, two people tried to buy MY car!

The Jetta Sportwagon is pretty cool.... if you HAVE To have a wagon - thats the one to get.
Barring any major manufacturing defects that are model wide, that car should hold its value VERY well.... I can't believe what dealers ask for Passat diesels around here... shit.. any VW tdi for that matter.. but Passats seem to cost a bit more than even the others....
Old 11-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
A-Bone
Indubitably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
Jurgen' parents are close to pulling the trigger on a Passat TDi. Still cross shopping a bit. If Passat wagons were here I expect they would already have one. I think VW is dropping the ball by not bringing the standard wagon here. I'm sure the numbers aren't huge-- but there is a solid steady group that likes standard (not sport) wagons. Volvo has left the market. VW could swoop in.
We were Saab lovers anyway.. but you are right... The lack of any non BMW/Merc/Audi wagon option drove us into the arms of the 9-5 Aero Wagon... with a manual transmission...

What's not to love: high-pressure turbo that pulls like a damn diesel on steroids from 2k RPM, estate body that doesn't draw any attention from LEOs, a 5 speed and decent sized brakes that are just great... oh and 28 MPG...

Maybe my favorite car I've ever owned for pure comfort (best seats ever), great engine and very well behaved in regular use...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: