ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny Things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
McCormack OP
Cronkite of CSM
 
McCormack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NH
Oddometer: 8,579
iPhone 4S iPod issue

For some damn reason the iPod will not shuffle if playing via Bluetooth. It used to, now it doesn't.

Apple seems to add useless shit with every update, and never seems to improve the shit that needs improving (Safari, Calendar, Map). Or worse, it screws something up.

Anyone else?
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
McCormack OP
Cronkite of CSM
 
McCormack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NH
Oddometer: 8,579
Wow, no replies. I thought for sure I'd get an answer!
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:06 PM   #3
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.
 
Dagofast's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 1,789
Buy a Mac!











There, feel better?
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:07 PM   #4
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.
 
Dagofast's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 1,789
Wii it play in random mode with bluetooth off?
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:32 PM   #5
Jonnylotto
All out of care
 
Jonnylotto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sunnyvale
Oddometer: 15,521
Oh fine.

How many apps are currently open in the phone?
When was the last time you power cycled the phone?
What about the most recent IOS update?

Were you setting it to shuffle before using using BT to skip forward? Or does the BT controller have a shuffle button?
__________________
I'm done.
Jonnylotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #6
McCormack OP
Cronkite of CSM
 
McCormack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NH
Oddometer: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
Oh fine.

How many apps are currently open in the phone?
When was the last time you power cycled the phone?
What about the most recent IOS update?

Were you setting it to shuffle before using using BT to skip forward? Or does the BT controller have a shuffle button?
The shuffle works fine when used with just earbuds (it used to work fine for all playing). I first noticed it last week in a rental car that had the iPod cord hardwired (with the Apple end piece, not an Aux chord). I'd try to turn on shuffle, but it would immediately turn off. All controls via the car worked normally.

I'm now using my bluetooth connection at home and same thing: I'm able to control the phone through the radio/steering wheel controls, but cannot get shuffle to turn on. If you look at the iPod app, you can see Shuffle at the lower right. I select it, it shows selected, but then unselects within a second.

I tried restarting the phone (including pressing both buttons at once to restart). It makes no sense.

iOS shows as being up to date.

Makes no sense.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer
 
spagthorpe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 14,749
My 4S shuffles fine while on BT, but then again, I never upgraded the OS to version 7-anything.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.
 
Dagofast's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 1,789
If your shuffle is still showing on the lower right, it is possible your software is not up to date. That isn't where shuffle is on mine, it's at the top of the songs list or at the top of each playlist. But the caveat here is we use iTunes Match because we have close to 7000 songs in our library. Perhaps iTunes behaves differently with when iTunes Match is turned off?

The 4S still supports the latest S/W updates and will also accept the upcoming iOS 8 as well. Go to settings>general>software update and see if you have 7.1.2 installed.

The fact it is turning off shuffle within 1 second could indicate a problem with your particular bluetooth device(s). I used my 4S and now use my 5S with a portable bluetooth speaker and shuffle play works fine on it. I haven't ever tried it in my car because the car stereo itself has a random button and that is much easier to hit then picking up the phone and futzing around with it.

If you can't find an easy solution, an easy work around might be to create a "randomized" playlist and just select that. Good luck!
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
McCormack OP
Cronkite of CSM
 
McCormack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NH
Oddometer: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagofast View Post
If your shuffle is still showing on the lower right, it is possible your software is not up to date. That isn't where shuffle is on mine, it's at the top of the songs list or at the top of each playlist. But the caveat here is we use iTunes Match because we have close to 7000 songs in our library. Perhaps iTunes behaves differently with when iTunes Match is turned off?

The 4S still supports the latest S/W updates and will also accept the upcoming iOS 8 as well. Go to settings>general>software update and see if you have 7.1.2 installed.

The fact it is turning off shuffle within 1 second could indicate a problem with your particular bluetooth device(s). I used my 4S and now use my 5S with a portable bluetooth speaker and shuffle play works fine on it. I haven't ever tried it in my car because the car stereo itself has a random button and that is much easier to hit then picking up the phone and futzing around with it.

If you can't find an easy solution, an easy work around might be to create a "randomized" playlist and just select that. Good luck!
The pic below shows the current iPod app with Shuffle being at the lower right:



I believe the arrangement is new with iOS 7.

Anyway, never used to be an issue, now it is. I haven't changed anything at all, either. And my iOS is up to date.

I wonder if the Apple Store will be of help?
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
McCormack OP
Cronkite of CSM
 
McCormack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NH
Oddometer: 8,579
I think I'll format the iPhone and reload what I want and see if that fixes it.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
Jonnylotto
All out of care
 
Jonnylotto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sunnyvale
Oddometer: 15,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
The shuffle works fine when used with just earbuds (it used to work fine for all playing). I first noticed it last week in a rental car that had the iPod cord hardwired (with the Apple end piece, not an Aux chord). I'd try to turn on shuffle, but it would immediately turn off. All controls via the car worked normally.

I'm now using my bluetooth connection at home and same thing: I'm able to control the phone through the radio/steering wheel controls, but cannot get shuffle to turn on. If you look at the iPod app, you can see Shuffle at the lower right. I select it, it shows selected, but then unselects within a second.

I tried restarting the phone (including pressing both buttons at once to restart). It makes no sense.

iOS shows as being up to date.

Makes no sense.
Have you checked your head unit in the car for a firmware update? There's a part of the BT stack that's called AVRCP (audio video remote control protocol). It's supposed to remain backwards compatible (tell that to the 30 pin firewire / 30 pin usb dockers ) but you can never tell when the IOS updates will push their BT past spec with what you've been perfectly content with all this time.

Apple is now up to AVRCP 1.4 so if you search for your head unit and "firmware update" you should find details on gettin' it done. If it's a factory unit, user forums for your model car have probably already figured it out.

It's remotely possible your 30 pin socket is jacked.
__________________
I'm done.

Jonnylotto screwed with this post 08-01-2014 at 12:35 PM Reason: Edit: Added
Jonnylotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
McCormack OP
Cronkite of CSM
 
McCormack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NH
Oddometer: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
Have you checked your head unit in the car for a firmware update? There's a part of the BT stack that's called AVRCP (audio video remote control protocol). It's supposed to remain backwards compatible (tell that to the 30 pin firewire / 30 pin usb dockers ) but you can never tell when the IOS updates will push their BT past spec with what you've been perfectly content with all this time.

Apple is now up to AVRCP 1.4 so if you search for your head unit and "firmware update" you should find details on gettin' it done. If it's a factory unit, user forums for your model car have probably already figured it out.
This is happening with 2 different cars.

It's bizarre, because I haven't changed anything.

One weird thing I noticed was that when hooked to the Apple chord in the rental car, the phone would default to a Podcast episode. That made no sense, since Podcasts are now handled in their own Podcast App. Also, the episode that would play was not showing anywhere on my phone (I don't even have the Podcast App anymore).

Something weird is happening.

I think best bet is to wipe it clean and start over.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #13
Jonnylotto
All out of care
 
Jonnylotto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sunnyvale
Oddometer: 15,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCormack View Post
This is happening with 2 different cars.

It's bizarre, because I haven't changed anything.

One weird thing I noticed was that when hooked to the Apple chord in the rental car, the phone would default to a Podcast episode. That made no sense, since Podcasts are now handled in their own Podcast App. Also, the episode that would play was not showing anywhere on my phone (I don't even have the Podcast App anymore).

Something weird is happening.

I think best bet is to wipe it clean and start over.
That'd be a good thing.

Don't know what your 3rd party app load is like; sometimes it's better to be a bomber than a bullet.
__________________
I'm done.
Jonnylotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.
 
Dagofast's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 1,789
If you are using the 30 pin connector for docking to each car, I'm not sure why you believe bluetooth is the issue?

In my car when the bluetooth is active for streaming music from the phone to the car, it isn't plugged in at all. Random works fine. (Sometimes it is plugged in to the cig lighter for charging) However, if I plug the phone in to the USB port, then in addition to charging, it becomes more like a USB drive source enslaved to the head unit. The random function on the phone doesn't work in this instance on my car. On some cars head units, perhaps it might? I'd say Mr. Lotto is probably on the right track if it is indeed a bluetooth problem.

I normally just use my bluetooth to link the phone functions for hands free use in the car and leave a USB flash drive loaded with MP3 files plugged in for music. Simple, cheap and doesn't eat up my phone battery.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:51 PM   #15
McCormack OP
Cronkite of CSM
 
McCormack's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NH
Oddometer: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagofast View Post
If you are using the 30 pin connector for docking to each car, I'm not sure why you believe bluetooth is the issue?

In my car when the bluetooth is active for streaming music from the phone to the car, it isn't plugged in at all. Random works fine. (Sometimes it is plugged in to the cig lighter for charging) However, if I plug the phone in to the USB port, then in addition to charging, it becomes more like a USB drive source enslaved to the head unit. The random function on the phone doesn't work in this instance on my car. On some cars head units, perhaps it might? I'd say Mr. Lotto is probably on the right track if it is indeed a bluetooth problem.

I normally just use my bluetooth to link the phone functions for hands free use in the car and leave a USB flash drive loaded with MP3 files plugged in for music. Simple, cheap and doesn't eat up my phone battery.
For the rental car, I used both the 30 pin connector and an auxiliary chord, both would not not shuffle.

For my car, I'm using bluetooth, and it also won't shuffle.

It really makes no sense, and I've never had this problem before.

I now recall doing the latest iOS update not long before my trip. I'm thinking Apple screwed something up. However, I haven't had luck with Google to see if others have a problem.

I wonder if that Apple connector in the rental car somehow screwed things up instead?
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015