ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #211
Lab-Kid
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lab-Kid's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Squeal Like A Pig, MO
Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Were you shooting that off the bipod or some other rest?
Just a cheap Caldwell Rock Jr. front rest and a rear sand bag.
Lab-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #212
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs
 
Dirtysouth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 30120
Oddometer: 4,878
Optics suggestions

Anyone have any experience with the Leupold VX-R Patrol? I'm thinking about the 3-9x40 TMR. I'm open to suggestions on other optics and I'm not in a hurry so feel free to throw some opinions out there. It will be going on a Colt Hbar Elite, and I'm wanting something that will allow me to shoot out to 500 yards.
__________________
"...When your time comes to die, do not be like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death,
So that when their time comes, they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over a different way.
Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Tecumseh

Dirtysouth screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 06:25 PM
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #213
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab-Kid View Post
Precision Carbine, from a few pages back:
Thanks, bud.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #214
pilot
Slacker Moderator
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 30,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab-Kid View Post
Just a cheap Caldwell Rock Jr. front rest and a rear sand bag.
What scope is that?
__________________
The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #215
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 7,742
toys and more toys

__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #216
Lab-Kid
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Lab-Kid's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Squeal Like A Pig, MO
Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
What scope is that?
It is a Sightron SII Big Sky 6-24X42 w/ Mil-dot reticle and 1/8 MOA adjustments that I like very much. I was prepared to spend a lot more, but on a recommendation from a friend looked at the Sightrons.

From everything I read I would have had to have spent 3-4 times as much to get a scope as good.
Lab-Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #217
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab-Kid View Post
It is a Sightron SII Big Sky 6-24X42 w/ Mil-dot reticle and 1/8 MOA adjustments that I like very much. I was prepared to spend a lot more, but on a recommendation from a friend looked at the Sightrons.

From everything I read I would have had to have spent 3-4 times as much to get a scope as good.
+1 on the Sightron scopes. I was really surprised how much I like mine (also a 6-24).
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #218
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey
 
doc_ricketts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: FlaWaCo?
Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIron View Post
+1 on the Sightron scopes. I was really surprised how much I like mine (also a 6-24).
I have two sightron 36x fixed and they are as good as any I
I have tested but my $79 Truglow 36s are about as good. And now they are only $69 at Natchez Shooters Supply.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...ID=XRTG1410009
__________________
"Get yourself to the hills and be uplifted, assuming you got some good knobbies"

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 03:54 PM
doc_ricketts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #219
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey
 
doc_ricketts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: FlaWaCo?
Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab-Kid View Post
My little Savage has proved to be quite adequate in my first foray into shooting beyond 200 yards.

A lot of fun:
Great results for 600. Show us some 100 yd groups when you got them. Whoops, I saw you posted a great one prior to this page. Even more impressive. Duh...
__________________
"Get yourself to the hills and be uplifted, assuming you got some good knobbies"

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 07:16 PM
doc_ricketts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #220
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last
 
Manuel Garcia O'Kely's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Central Colorado Rockies
Oddometer: 12,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab-Kid View Post
My little Savage has proved to be quite adequate in my first foray into shooting beyond 200 yards.

A lot of fun:
Wow. I forgot to comment earlier. That's some nice grouping.

Now I want a Savage more than ever. My wallet is moaning in pain....Cause it's the rifle, the scope, the reloading gear....
__________________
Never ascribe to Evil that which is more resonably explained by Ignorance and Stupidity

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:12 PM   #221
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey
 
doc_ricketts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: FlaWaCo?
Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
Wow. I forgot to comment earlier. That's some nice grouping.

Now I want a Savage more than ever. My wallet is moaning in pain....Cause it's the rifle, the scope, the reloading gear....
OK, you wanna go cheap:
Savage Axis .308 at Buds Gun Shop online $293 (in stock)
Truglo 8-32x mildot scope at Natchez Shooters Supply $79
Lee hand press, dies, and dippers, etc. to load $100~
Powders, brass, and primers $100~

Work on the trigger to improve it a little
and have fun shooting .5 MOA groups with it using
your own hand loads
__________________
"Get yourself to the hills and be uplifted, assuming you got some good knobbies"
doc_ricketts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #222
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last
 
Manuel Garcia O'Kely's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Central Colorado Rockies
Oddometer: 12,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
OK, you wanna go cheap:
Savage Axis .308 at Buds Gun Shop online $293 (in stock)
Truglo 8-32x mildot scope at Natchez Shooters Supply $79
Lee hand press, dies, and dippers, etc. to load $100~
Powders, brass, and primers $100~

Work on the trigger to improve it a little
and have fun shooting .5 MOA groups with it using
your own hand loads
That's quite a deal. I need to reload for more than one cartridge though, so a regular reloading setup is a must. Thanks for the tip on Bud's.
__________________
Never ascribe to Evil that which is more resonably explained by Ignorance and Stupidity

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #223
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey
 
doc_ricketts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: FlaWaCo?
Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
That's quite a deal. I need to reload for more than one cartridge though, so a regular reloading setup is a must. Thanks for the tip on Bud's.
I reload for .45LC, 45/70, and .308 with my Lee hand press. And Lee dies are real cheap for extra calibers, so I don't get your statement about needing a 'regular reloading setup.' I certainly wouldn't let the need for extra dies hold me back from getting a Savage .308. I would give up all my other guns to keep just one .308. Most fun of all of the calibers in terms of economy, accuracy, big ole bang, and nice feel to the hands and big impact on the target.
__________________
"Get yourself to the hills and be uplifted, assuming you got some good knobbies"
doc_ricketts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #224
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs
 
Dirtysouth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 30120
Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
I reload for .45LC, 45/70, and .308 with my Lee hand press. And Lee dies are real cheap for extra calibers, so I don't get your statement about needing a 'regular reloading setup.' I certainly wouldn't let the need for extra dies hold me back from getting a Savage .308. I would give up all my other guns to keep just one .308. Most fun of all of the calibers in terms of economy, accuracy, big ole bang, and nice feel to the hands and big impact on the target.

I've been talking with a guy at work who reloads and I'm starting to think that I am going to get into some reloading. I haven't done any looking around yet, but considering what ammo prices are at the moment and how hard it is to find any at all, reloading is definitely looking better and better. I've blowed $500-$1000 on motorcycle stuff more than once so I don't mind buying a decent setup the first time around. If I reload, that would justify me buying a .308.
__________________
"...When your time comes to die, do not be like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death,
So that when their time comes, they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over a different way.
Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Tecumseh
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #225
Signal
Cynical Idealist
 
Signal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 8,347
Local shop has an excellent price on a savage 308, heavy short 20" barrel- A "special run" with a heavy bolt handle, 5R 1:10 twist barrel

Too short? I'm honestly thinking mid range distances, not really 1000 yrd stuff
__________________
Day Trippin'- Endless Utah
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014