Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #271
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
I'm headed for the annual LR match near Kettle Falls, Washington next weekend. It's a benefit for Camp Patriot and always a good time. New location this year, so all the dope I've been saving from the last matches wont make the trip.
Shooting a 700, Rock Creek/Timney/Vortex with 155gr Bergers at 2855fps. Max ranges at previous matches have only been ~1200 yards, so I shoot be ok.
Last year I hit an IPSC mover at 825 yards, three times. One was on the T-post that holds the steel, so it was officially a miss, though I told the RO I should get double points for hitting a 1" wide moving target at that range. Mover went away from you and uphill, so dope was never the same for two shots in a row.

1911fan
I'm headed to Carl's match myself...with about seven more of the Portland mob.
The new location should be fun...and it might put locals at a disadvantage...for once!
I'm PDXGS on the Hide.

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #272
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,918
Look for me, my shooting partner is about 6'5" and 340 lbs, I'm the Vortex Pimp (also 1911fan on the Hide). We're staying at the kettle Falls Inn, in the back building.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:10 PM   #273
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

The view from stage 9 on Sunday, day #2.
Pure Hell.

Cricket the Dog-RIP
Old 05-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #274
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Cow View Post

Pure Hell.
Tease
I vicariously live through this thread
would love to get into target shooting again, with proper rifles this time (used to be air rifles) but other commitements and its not so easy here in AUS

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #275
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 821
Quote:

Pure Hell.
:eek: that's awesome

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #276
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Yeah, they had about a third of a target sticking up just left of the hump in the dirt mound (640 yards?) and the last target is, umm, crap.... somewhere out there. The first two targets at that stage sucked. Here's a view looking down towards this stage, though it's out of sight over the lower hump.

It rained the first day, sometimes hard, and we were on a different course and had trees to hide under. Bet this side was soggy.

I had a blast, rifle shot well thought the nut that holds the stock was loose. Apparently. I beat my partner both days; those of you who know who he is will understand why I was tickled.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:55 AM   #277
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
I'm headed for the annual LR match near Kettle Falls, Washington next weekend. It's a benefit for Camp Patriot and always a good time. New location this year, so all the dope I've been saving from the last matches wont make the trip.
Cool! I wish I had a set-up (including user!) that was up to this. Just curious, what does "Kettle Falls" mean--there's a lot of places up there that could be considered "Kettle Falls." I used to work with a family that had a 1000-yd range, marked, on their property out that way.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:51 AM   #278
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
Cool! I wish I had a set-up (including user!) that was up to this. Just curious, what does "Kettle Falls" mean--there's a lot of places up there that could be considered "Kettle Falls." I used to work with a family that had a 1000-yd range, marked, on their property out that way.
This match was a charity fund-raising event held on private property east of Kettle Falls/ noth of Colville. The steel targets were placed in a variety of locations- 7 stages per day, avg 3 targets per stage at unknown distance. Shooters worked in teams and had one minute of prep time and 3 minutes each to complete the course of fire.

Cricket the Dog-RIP
Old 05-21-2014, 05:27 AM   #279
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
This match was a charity fund-raising event held on private property east of Kettle Falls/ noth of Colville. The steel targets were placed in a variety of locations- 7 stages per day, avg 3 targets per stage at unknown distance. Shooters worked in teams and had one minute of prep time and 3 minutes each to complete the course of fire.
Looks like it was a awesome event! I used to live in Colville and commute to Northport, not far from the Canadian border, where the Columbia crosses in.

From the pics, I'm going with "north of the river" for the property. The family I knew had a ranch up that way--lots of room for open shots. The local long range club would go there and they've hosted Naval Special Warfare (I think EOD) practicing with their .50 BMG rifles.

Man, I miss EWA. The work is in Western Washington, but the Eastern part of the state is where it's at!
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:23 AM   #280
eduardobibm
Banned

Oddometer: 2,005
I recently setup my long range target. GPS measurement estimate is 660 yards. Have not had any real opportunity to try it out yet but man is it going to be a challenge. At the moment I do not have a system that is ideal for this type of shoots (at the moment).
My 308 has a low powered forward mounted scope so all I really have is a 5.56 with a 12x scope.

This is what is hanging out there.

eduardobibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #281
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
You know that it is going to s$%k when you place a bullet through that nice square mounting hole and don't hear or see any reaction from the target.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #282
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardobibm View Post
...so all I really have is a 5.56 with a 12x scope.
And lots of people, used to include me, shoot Service Rifle at that distance with iron sights. It's doable. Run heavies, 77 or 80gr, though they won't feed from the mag.
You'd be surprised at what you can do.

1911fan

Old 05-21-2014, 07:00 AM   #283
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,065
Invite me out and I'll bring the hardware!

Where in NY?

Quote:
I recently setup my long range target. GPS measurement estimate is 660 yards. Have not had any real opportunity to try it out yet but man is it going to be a challenge. At the moment I do not have a system that is ideal for this type of shoots (at the moment).
My 308 has a low powered forward mounted scope so all I really have is a 5.56 with a 12x scope.

This is what is hanging out there.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:11 AM   #284
eduardobibm
Banned

Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
And lots of people, used to include me, shoot Service Rifle at that distance with iron sights. It's doable. Run heavies, 77 or 80gr, though they won't feed from the mag.
You'd be surprised at what you can do. 1911fan
Thanks, I'll try the heavy stuff.
I'm a total newb to the long range game but I'm going to work towards getting there with iron sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
Invite me out and I'll bring the hardware!
Where in NY?
Sure - Orange County, there's another inmate here, Juanjo_NY that I'd like to invite over.
eduardobibm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #285
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Quote:
You can hit that consistently with good match or hand loads and decent iron match sights or optic......and good wind calls. I run magazine-length 69grain or 77grsin Sierra Match Kings out of a 16" SPR sitting on a bag or bipod and have no issues getting out to 880yds.

Good trigger, good glass or sights, good skills.

Some of the vortex and SWFA Super Sniper brand optics are up to that task at a relatively low cost. You can also find relatively inexpensive .223, .22/250 or .308 hunting rifles at gun shows or pawn shops that could ring that all day. There are also a number of decent military surplus/service rifles like Mosins, Enfields, K31s or 1917Speingfield that could hit that with no problems and have aftermarket scope mounts available. You're going to love it,,,that valley looks like it could have challenging wind and currents depending on the climate.

Cricket the Dog-RIP

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: