ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #31
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob
I'll defer to someone who has actually done it. I started researching the process several years ago, then the motorcycle bug bit and the project got set aside.

How did your accuracy turn out with the swap?

What kind of case life are you getting with the AI?
I'll admit being a slacker. The accuracy is, um, fine. I've yet to shoot anything but non-AI loads through it. First time I shot it was 800 miles from home in a prairie dog town. A buddy was spotting for me and I got the rifle pretty well sighted in in 5 rounds. He said, "Let me try that thing!", and he shot a dog. I had a ball with it that weekend using various fireforming loads I made up with stuff I just had sitting around. Good bullets, though; heavy Matchkings and A-Max's. I haven't shot it since.

Case life should be better than the parent cartridge as long as I keep the loads a bit below FULL throttle, which I will. I wanted to do an AI for that reason, plus, it's a fast-twist barrel to shoot heavy bullets so I thought I might need the extra "engine" room.

tslewisz screwed with this post 01-02-2010 at 08:11 PM
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #32
Anglewood
Has a fake Mustache
 
Anglewood's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Sunny SoCal
Oddometer: 1,196
This is the extent of my long range shooting experience:



It's a No. 1 Mk III Enfield in .303 British, all stock as bought from Big 5 for about $80. I was shooting out to 500 yds and was able to hit an oxy acetylene tank hanging out there with some consistency with Iron sights. It was really cool to hear the "pling!" of the bullet strike a couple of seconds after the report of the rifle. You don't necessarily need a high dollar rig to have fun at long ranges. I only wish ammunition was more plentyful for this rifle, I'd shoot it a lot more.

Lates,

Connor
Anglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:15 PM   #33
ShadyRascal
Master of None
 
ShadyRascal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: the Root, Western Montana
Oddometer: 6,246
Cooper Montana Varminer 26" .243. Oooooh, yeah.



This is the day I picked it up at Cooper Firearms, incoveniently located a whole 15 minutes from my house. Alas, I bought this for a customer but he sure likes it.
__________________
Originally Posted by Javarilla

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.


Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:51 PM   #34
vnp514
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Eastern Washington State
Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz
I think if you took a dozen similar rifles from Savage and Remington and compared group sizes the Savages would come out better. Is that what you mean about QC?
Nope.

QC with me is how the weapon holds up under normal use. Is there a reason Savage is less expensive than Remington? There are more gunsmiths who use Remington Actions when they build custom long range weapons-why? I'm not trolling here. If I can save a buck buying the weapon, I've got extra cash for optics.

Thanks!

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #35
flatgunphil
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: central coast CA
Oddometer: 57
Pete,
There could be several reasons-Lower labor cost, better price point, whatever. One of the biggest reasons is image-people generally look at Savage and think it couldn't possibly be good. HOWEVER, they are good, darn good! Just as good if not better QC, adjustability in the trigger, ability to change barrels. Also Savages are more accurate out of the box.

Extra bucks for optics, ammo or training....

My 12BVSS shoots just fine. About 1/2" or better at 100 yards.

Phil
flatgunphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #36
gravel road
Hunt/Fish/Ride
 
gravel road's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: N.E. Kansas
Oddometer: 37
I'll admit, I also use a Savage for my long range shooting. Not that it is better than the Remington, but I appreciate being able to swap my own barrels and set headspace.

I use a 27" Pacnor barrel in 243 Ack Imp with 87 grain V-max bullets for 1000+ yards. I wish I would have went a little larger, i.e. a 260 Rem or 6.5x284 but I can't complain. It works pretty well as long as the wind is moderate to low.

For the shorter stuff I use 6 PPC, 22-250, or variations of the Hornet.

I do use Remingtons for most varmint and big game hunting, but the Savage does have advantages as stated in previous posts.
gravel road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:05 AM   #37
Laconic
Anodyne
 
Laconic's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Moran Nation, NC
Oddometer: 16,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal
Cooper Montana Varminer 26" .243. Oooooh, yeah.



This is the day I picked it up at Cooper Firearms, incoveniently located a whole 15 minutes from my house. Alas, I bought this for a customer but he sure likes it.



Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #38
Hog Rider
The Professor
 
Hog Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Fenner Windfarm N.Y.
Oddometer: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglewood
This is the extent of my long range shooting experience:


It's a No. 1 Mk III Enfield in .303 British, all stock as bought from Big 5 for about $80. I was shooting out to 500 yds and was able to hit an oxy acetylene tank hanging out there with some consistency with Iron sights. It was really cool to hear the "pling!" of the bullet strike a couple of seconds after the report of the rifle. You don't necessarily need a high dollar rig to have fun at long ranges. I only wish ammunition was more plentyful for this rifle, I'd shoot it a lot more.

Lates,

Connor
Have you tried these folks out for your ammo needs ? Nice gun also.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...aspx?catid=544
__________________

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..



http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:02 AM   #39
vnp514
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Eastern Washington State
Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatgunphil
Pete,
There could be several reasons-Lower labor cost, better price point, whatever. One of the biggest reasons is image-people generally look at Savage and think it couldn't possibly be good. HOWEVER, they are good, darn good! Just as good if not better QC, adjustability in the trigger, ability to change barrels. Also Savages are more accurate out of the box.

Extra bucks for optics, ammo or training....

My 12BVSS shoots just fine. About 1/2" or better at 100 yards.

Phil
Thanks.

Sounds like I may have to look more closely at Savage. I'm interested in how the head space is checked when changing out barrels. I'll do some searching.

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 AM   #40
Laconic
Anodyne
 
Laconic's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Moran Nation, NC
Oddometer: 16,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514
Thanks.

Sounds like I may have to look more closely at Savage. I'm interested in how the head space is checked when changing out barrels. I'll do some searching.

Pete
http://www.varminter.com/particles/poorman2.htm
Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #41
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer
 
IDScarecrow's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: PNW Inland Empire
Oddometer: 1,322
Boomershoot 2007.



I used a box-stock Savage .243 from Walmart, with the scope it came with. My shooting may not have been as precise as others, but I was able to hit a few targets at 350 yards and one at around 500. (350 is just in front of the trees on the dirt berm. 500 is about 1/3 of the way up the hill. The targets were milk cartons filled with explosives, about the size of the ones the kids get milk in at school.
__________________
"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."


IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #42
ShadyRascal
Master of None
 
ShadyRascal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: the Root, Western Montana
Oddometer: 6,246
Boy does that look like fun!
__________________
Originally Posted by Javarilla

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.


Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #43
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way
 
Norhasken's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: On the couch
Oddometer: 18,228
You should try the dynamite shoot in Gateway, CO, which occurs twice per year.

http://www.gufd.org/dynamite.html
__________________
"Life isn't much, but there's nothing else to do, La Dolce Vita"
Norhasken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #44
Nom de Guerre
Beastly Adventurer
 
Nom de Guerre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Pasadena, CA
Oddometer: 2,034
I do a little long range precision shooting. I've shot in a few competitions, mainly in SoCal and NorCal.

My first long range precision stick, a Remington 700 PSS .308 with some work done by Randy Cain (R+D Precision):


My 2nd rifle, a custom G.A.P. .308 built up on a Surgeon action with a Bartlein barrel:



This is what I have my eye on next, if I don't go with a .338 Lapua build first...

.375 CheyTac built by Lawton...
__________________


Nom de Guerre screwed with this post 01-03-2010 at 08:54 PM
Nom de Guerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #45
vnp514
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Eastern Washington State
Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob


Perfect-THANKS!!!

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014