Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #106
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Thats an AK for you.
Yep, and 'specially when I'm shooting one!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #107
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
I went to MidwayUSA and they are out of both kinds of Federal Match. After reading reviews, it seems the Hornady Z-max stuff is really thier match ammunition with clever marketing.

I'll see if I can find any Federal stuff locally I guess.

They sent me home with 2 free boxes of Grizzly zinc plated steel case stuff. I told him if he tried something like that again I wasn't going to buy any more guns there. He said I had to take it or he wouldn't sell me any more guns.

I do like buying stuff at mom n pop stores that play polka music in the background.
Plain old Winchester brand is pretty good and I use Winchester brass in my reloading because it works well and last long.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #108
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Cow View Post
Here are some of my vintage Brititsh sticks:
Those look my price range. Enfield 303 or 308?
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #109
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Sometimes shooting at long distance is all that is possible, since the short range stuff is obscured:
Old 07-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #110
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Sometimes shooting at long distance is all that is possible, since the short range stuff is obscured:
That's a rather small target. I like the bigger ones.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #111
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 998
Anyone using moly coated bullets these days?
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #112
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,826
Quote:
The best 'article/review' was on the Sako TRG-42 (.338 Lapua) and the 'quest for cold-bore accuracy'. I recommend the publication and have learned quite a bit from the stuff inside.
Quote:
. And as mentioned I just read the review on the TRG-42 (.338 Lapua) and it seems that it is the ultimate 'cold shot' sniper rifle.
I had that very gun and will say that it was one of the most accurate weapons I have ever fired. In this part of the SE it is hard to stretch it out but at 700yds, it was frickin spectacular. I never got to get out past that but based on groupings at 600 and 700 yards I would have no qualms shooting at 1000+ confidently.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #113
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Anyone using moly coated bullets these days?
I'd avoid them. While they claim to keep the bore from fouling as much, I've noticed a decrease in accuracy with them and an increase in the number of patches it takes to get all of the carbon fouling out.

When it comes to rifle bores...copper is good. Carbon is bad. If you clean a barrel and use a copper remover it will take 40-60rnds for your groups to settle back down. Carbon on the other hand does need to come out, as it will continue to build up and harden/plate itself to the bore. Personally I clean the carbon out of the bore every 300-400rnds with a brush and carbon remover. About once a year (or if I make a permenant change in bullet MFG/type) I'll clean out all of the copper fouling and then start over.

Note...clean bore shots will have a different POI (and be less consistent) than fouled bore shots until the bore is coated with copper once again.

Cold bore shots will have a different POI than subsequent shots, but it will be a consistent shift.
cms81586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #114
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
I had that very gun and will say that it was one of the most accurate weapons I have ever fired. In this part of the SE it is hard to stretch it out but at 700yds, it was frickin spectacular. I never got to get out past that but based on groupings at 600 and 700 yards I would have no qualms shooting at 1000+ confidently.

A friend with a TRG-42 in .338LM brought his rifle along on a campout/shoot/ride weekend we did while I was still stationed in Colorado. On a full size steel sillhouette he was making consistent shots at 1450yds. I love TRG's and for the price they are the best value out there IMHO for what you get. I'd never buy another custom rifle after purchasing my TRG-22.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #115
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms81586 View Post
A friend with a TRG-42 in .338LM brought his rifle along on a campout/shoot/ride weekend we did while I was still stationed in Colorado. On a full size steel silhouette he was making consistent shots at 1450yds. I love TRG's and for the price they are the best value out there IMHO for what you get. I'd never buy another custom rifle after purchasing my TRG-22.
I made a 500yd head shot on a walking coyote with a light crosswind. Probably pure luck because my "dope" skills are non-existent and I have no formal long distance rifle training, just some damn fine shooting guns. The TRG42 had to go, along with the AR/M guns when times got tough but I have managed to keep my Rem 700's.

Maybe another will find it's way into the collection some day.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #116
duckman
"sic gorgiamus allos

Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Cow View Post
Yeah! Another gun thread!
I shoot long range "sniper" matches in the PNW as well as tactical and 3-gun.
My current long-range rig is a Remington 700p in .308 in an Accuracy International Chasis. I'm in the process of converting this gun to a switch barrel setup with the option of going to .260. Some of the long range matches limit calibers to .223 or .308.
I occasionally get to shoot out of Helos

The rifle

I've hit 18" steel at 1135 yds with this rig.

Here are some of my vintage Brititsh sticks:
my 3 303
and no do rags
'we gladly feast on those who would subdue us'
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #117
Half-Fast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
RRA Varmint A4 20" with US Optics SN-3

Half-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #118
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Fast View Post
RRA Varmint A4 20" with US Optics SN-3

Love your optic choice! What reticle are you running in yours? Knobs MIL or MOA? Any reason you didn't go with the EREK knob?
Old 07-19-2012, 05:32 AM   #119
Half-Fast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms81586 View Post
Love your optic choice! What reticle are you running in yours? Knobs MIL or MOA? Any reason you didn't go with the EREK knob?
Reticle is MDMOA, Knobs are 1/4 MOA. Found a pretty good deal on this one used. If I had bought new I would have probably gone with EREK.
Half-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #120
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnp514 View Post
I'd like to know a little more why the Savage rifles are easier to work on. I've never had one. The Accu-Trigger sounds interesting.

Pete
Barrel changes take five minutes after you destock it. You can set the headspace with a several times fired case or use guages that cost $25. And I routinely cut layers off the resistance spring in the Accu-trigger to make them even lighter. You can fine tune this basic adjustable trigger in quite a few ways. Also the floating bolt head lets it adjust to variations in chambers and ammo. Here is my recently modifed Savage 10 .308 that I placed in a $220 Bell and Carlson stock and fitted with a $140 ER Shaw barrel. The device (scope ring) on the barrel ahead of the action is my 'barrel tuner' that dampens oscillations as it is forced into the stock, supported by high density rubber sheet. The scope is a Sightron 36X.

I took it out last night about sundown and shot a cold 3 shot group at 200 yds which measured .25" and I taped it to the front of the scope to remind me to hold steady and let the rifle do its thing:

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 07-26-2012 at 01:33 PM
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: