Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 02:43 AM   #121
arraflipper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Group

That is the kind of group I would like to be around. Very nice 200 yard shooting, I would probably have framed it and hung it on the wall.
arraflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 05:51 AM   #122
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,503
Looks like I'm in the market for new rifle!

Fe Boy is now thirteen and insists that it is time for him to "have" his own deer rifle. He wants my .308 Rem 700 Mountain Rifle but I'm not so sure about that. If I give it to him I guess I'm going to try and find a stainless 700 for a build this time.

But then I keep thinking about getting him a Savage (which I have never owned) and have always like Ruger 77's, just not so happy with their accuracy compared to the handful of 700's I have owned...
Old 07-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #123
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by arraflipper View Post
That is the kind of group I would like to be around. Very nice 200 yard shooting, I would probably have framed it and hung it on the wall.
Lets see if I can reproduce it today. I have lots of 100 yd groups that small including a 'one holer' (with my other Savage) but this is my first time to do that good at 200. My right eye is pretty bad so I have trouble at 200, even with the 36X scope. I found recently that using the high contrast targets helps a lot and I have a stack of them I zeroxed so am good to go. The trick also is to get 4 or 5 groups that size at 100. There is a big debate about 3,5, or even 10 round groups to judge rifle performance, but I think the trick is to keep (and tune out) the cold to hot barrel variations and that can be done better with 3 shot, rapid fire groups.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:11 PM   #124
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,939
Well, not the longest range in the world, but I get to use it anytime I want. Each wood cross is 100 ft

Old 07-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #125
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
Looks like I'm in the market for new rifle!

Fe Boy is now thirteen and insists that it is time for him to "have" his own deer rifle. He wants my .308 Rem 700 Mountain Rifle but I'm not so sure about that. If I give it to him I guess I'm going to try and find a stainless 700 for a build this time.

But then I keep thinking about getting him a Savage (which I have never owned) and have always like Ruger 77's, just not so happy with their accuracy compared to the handful of 700's I have owned...
Save yourself a wad of money and get a Savage. They are great rifles, as accurate as anything out there. I bought a 112BT in .308 for shooting NRA Highpower. When I was developing loads, from the bench, it would shoot 1/2" or less at 100 yards with ammo it likes. I have known several other Savages in the past and they all shoot really well.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #126
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Did some more testing of the Savage 10 .308 with the Shaw barrel and Bell and Carlson stock shown above. It seems to be shooting pretty darned good. I would say that half of the dispersion at 200 yards is due to me and my shakiness and bad right eye. Anyway here are some representative groups. The bold square is .5 in square, so most of the groups average about .5-.7 in.

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 07-30-2012 at 07:19 PM
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #127
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Did some more shooting today with the Sav 10/Shaw barrel after a complete disaster session a couple of days ago. I ran out of Hornady 168 BTHP and loaded a few Hornady 168 A-Max's. I had the A-Maxs seated to0 deep and not properly into the lands (about .010"), and it would spray them all over into 1" groups or worse. Today I loaded them as deep in the rifling as I could (2.865") and the rifle shot much better. The first group (3 shots) after a few warm up shown in a), the second group of 4 shots in b), and the third group of 5 shots in c):
a)
b)
c)
Old 08-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #128
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,939
So does learning to shoot at distance with a pistol count? I am pretty good with a rifle but pistols are kind of new to me let alone shooting at distance. But I figured out one trick today that seemed to help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHbfHJRtL54
Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #129
Hastelloy-X
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Is 30-06 dead in the long range shooting stuff? All I ever see is .308 talked about on shooting forums.

Any of you long range shooters shoot/use sabots (Remmington Accelerator)?
Hastelloy-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #130
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastelloy-X View Post
Is 30-06 dead in the long range shooting stuff? All I ever see is .308 talked about on shooting forums.

Any of you long range shooters shoot/use sabots (Remmington Accelerator)?
The 30 oh six is a good round, especially for hunting, but the .308 has proven to more accurate and easier to load good target rounds. Can't hardly beat the .308 out to 600 yds for accuracy, especially in a big bullet.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #131
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastelloy-X View Post
I was just watching "Triggers" on TV last night and they had the Griswold brothers on the show with a custom sniper piece that they said was 30-06. I was surprised as I usually hear about .308, .338 and also the Grendel these days.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #132
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by milq View Post
I was just watching "Triggers" on TV last night and they had the Griswold brothers on the show with a custom sniper piece that they said was 30-06. I was surprised as I usually hear about .308, .338 and also the Grendel these days.
A guy can chamber a 'custom sniper piece' in pretty much any caliber he wants, and 30-06 is certainly beloved among many, mostly older, shooters. The 308 is very similar, same case just shortened a little, and just a tiny bit slower velocity-wise. A lot of sniper guns are chambered in 300 Win. Mag., a little more reach, so I'm sure an '06 would work fine too. I have hunting rifles in both calibers and find the '06 as good, but just a little more temperamental where finding good accurate loads is concerned.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #133
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
A guy can chamber a 'custom sniper piece' in pretty much any caliber he wants, and 30-06 is certainly beloved among many, mostly older, shooters. The 308 is very similar, same case just shortened a little, and just a tiny bit slower velocity-wise. A lot of sniper guns are chambered in 300 Win. Mag., a little more reach, so I'm sure an '06 would work fine too. I have hunting rifles in both calibers and find the '06 as good, but just a little more temperamental where finding good accurate loads is concerned.
Yeah I think the trick is finding the optimal load for the 30-06. The .308 seems to be much more forgiving in maintaining stability and accuracy over a wider range of load parameters. Either that or more people just experiment with the .308 and I suspect this is the real answer.

doc_ricketts screwed with this post 08-06-2012 at 05:55 PM
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #134
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Yeah I think the trick is finding the optimal load for the 30-06. The .308 seems to be much more forgiving in maintaining stability and accuracy over a wider range of load parameters. Either that or more people just experiment with the .308 and I suspect this is the real answer.
I know that another reason the 308 became popular for precision long-range shooting or benchrest was that it could be built on a short action, whereas the 30-06 required a longer one. A longer action tends to be less rigid than a short one. I suspect the difference between short and long action, all other things being equal, would be miniscule, but precision shooters are funny that way.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #135
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I know that another reason the 308 became popular for precision long-range shooting or benchrest was that it could be built on a short action, whereas the 30-06 required a longer one. A longer action tends to be less rigid than a short one. I suspect the difference between short and long action, all other things being equal, would be miniscule, but precision shooters are funny that way.
Many powders tend to be position sensitive. With .30-06 there is much more "free space" unless you're using a more bulky powder to take up that case capacity. .30-06 is no slouch...but looking a the numbers it's pretty obvious you don't gain much over the .308 with it... not enough to make it worth it anyhow.
cms81586 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: