Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #136
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Going to the Adventure rider rally West Fest in Darby Montana. I attended West Fest in Colorado last year.
Hit this awsome road enroute. Went back & rode it twice.

Got to Darby thurs nite.

Redone, Ross from Texas, enjoying the fresh air Fri-AM

Redone, Land & I rode the Magruder Corridor. Nice!

Love this picture of my buddy Todd (ADVTENN) below on the left from Tennessee. Isn't he so cute! Very photogenic. On the right is Scott, longtime friend ofTodds.Todd flew to Washington to meetup with Scott & pick up his, New to him, KLR (Nice to see it upright there Todd!). They then rode from there to westfest & just arrived last nite.
Unfortunately I have to leave early this Saturday AM to get to Calgary so I can fly home to attend my Nephew Mark's wedding on Sunday afternoon. Todd got up early so we could have coffee together b4 I had to leave. He has this awsome jetboil stove which can boil water in amazingtime. He made us both Coffee and oatmeal. Thanks Buddy.

Here is kind of an odd sighting. Checkout this bike. Looks like someone just abandoned it at the side of the road Hope the rider is ok! & his bike!

Leaving for Calgary.
Click on:
-Now: Fly/ride - Panama to Alaska & pts between.
-2009 Colorado & West Fest
-Baja 2009 from Canada
"Take time, because time will eventually take you"! (and you never know just how much yer gonna get )
Let's ride!
07 Suzuki V-Strom 650 with ABS for long distance adventure & Dualsport
08 Husaberg FE450 (Street Plated)

Rockin Rollin screwed with this post 09-13-2010 at 05:51 PM
Rockin Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #137
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Heading for Calgary. 1am flight to catch tonite.
This pic was taken by a fellow ADVer, Klutz, as he passed me. We met up later at a gas station. Thanks Jim.

Glacier National Park. "Highway to the Sun". Spectacular.

Met back up with Klutz (Jim) in the park. Got this pic of him. Hi Jim!

Spotted the USS Enterprise shortly after entering canada. It was coming down to land. I followed it & ended up in Vulcan which apparently is in Alberta.

You might recognise a few of these guys.

Left Suzi at my brother John's. He kindly drove me to the airport for my 1am flight. I got home at 7am got a little more sleep. Attended Mark & Steph's

wedding at the Terra Cotta Inn 2pm. I was a little tired but it was a blast.
Next Fly-ride west: back to Calgary visit with family explore west Alberta & Cranbrook/ Kelowna area of British Columbia. Livin the dream!
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
"Take time, because time will eventually take you"! (and you never know just how much yer gonna get )
Let's ride!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #138
2Trider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Awesome adventure Roland
When your into North BC we will have to meet up......livin my adventure up here
I'll FB you

Richard L
2Trider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:18 AM   #139
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Thumb

Hey Rockin Rollin !
Most excellent ride plan. Great indeed.
Thanks for the report and Keep it coming.

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #140
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897

What time was it? I'm guessing at least around lunch time.
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #141
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Talking

Hey thanks for the replies Guys.

Richard, I should be in North BC next summer when I ride to Alaska.

Tom, thanks for coming by. I'm looking forward to you and Heidi getting Back on the road. Thanks for the inspiration.

Woody, hows it goin buddy? So actually I took that picture fairly early but who knows what time Ross actually got up?

I don't know how to do multiple qoutes in one reply. Maybe someone can tell me how. I'm sure you know Tom.
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #142
wyostrom
Better be ready

Oddometer: 31
great trips

Roland, Just read through most of your ride reports. Great pictures!!!!!!
Glad you were able to stop and visit. Keep the reports coming
Don
"Having an adventure shows that someone is incompetent, that something has gone wrong. An adventure is interesting enough in retrospect, especially to the person who didn't have it; at the time it happens it usually constitutes an exceedingly disagreeable experience."

"Life is a limited time offer... Live deliberately. Ride often."

K6 DL650 VStrom
'95 DR350
'72 Norton Commando
'59 Triumph TR6
wyostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #143
atadloco
Ouch.. Ta Daaaaaa..

Oddometer: 695
This is great, thanks for sharing..
atadloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #144
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Don, I really enjoyed that visit. Thanks so much!

Wriding up the next report. Up shortly.
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 10-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #145
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Thumb Fly-ride 8 Back to Calgary Alberta.

Fly-ride 8 Back to Calgary Alberta.
This trip was a combination of adventure ride and family visit.

My sister Cathy & husband Larry picked me up from the airport (thank you).
Suzi (my bike) was stored at my brother John's house about an hour out of calgary. We would join him & Sonia there for dinner later.
Cathy & Larry are avid golfers. Plan was to play some golf at a course on the way out. I brought my Golf clubs with me on this trip.
On the way out we went to Sportchek & I got a great new pair of very light nylon pant with the zip off lowers to convert to shorts. They are a much nicer pair than the regular cargo type & have zipperd pockets for extra security. I was really happy to get these for the lightness, comfort, versatility and quick dry feature. Now I can eliminate my Jeans & my heavier shorts. I have one other pair of light nylon fishing shorts that double as a bathing suit. I look to have the minimum possible with me & travel as light as possible. So maximum versatility & feature benefits of everything I carry with me is key. I really find it exciting to be able to keep making changes & improvement ongoing. I pretty much make changes like this each trip. What can I possible eliminate, or change to be more efficient. This management is very much a part of the adventure.

The golf was fun, I lost. I'm an adventure rider not a golfer.
Dinner was great, thanks John & Sonia.
Got ready to leave next morning but needed to fix my loose front fairing & cracking windshield, change the back brakes & then the usual Checks/adjustments I go thru at the start of each trip. There is generally at least about a day lost on each trip to maintenance & management. Part of the adventure for sure.
So Finally left John's about 3 in the Afternoon (things always take longer than expected).
Riding south & west through the Crows nest pass I headed for Wasa, British Colombia, to visit my sister Margie & her family, plus do some further riding out there.
Here I am with Margie, Scott, Connor & Kendal at the cabin which they built. Scott is a masterbuilder among many other atributes. Awesome cabin, awsome location, awsome family. I actually stayed with them for 7 nites. It was great. Thanks guys.

Scott put in a 200ft Zip line in the back yard. Connor demonstrates.

Wasa Lake

Went for a ride on the oppposite side of the mountain range beside Wasa lake. found some great roads & then a walking trail the Lakit trail. Quite steep, went right to the top of the mountain. Beautiful.

The moment I crested the summit this huge Golden Eagle spread it's vast wings & launched of the steep. I had to scramble to get a picture.

This curious deer was checkin me out when I was riding back down.

Offloaded Suzi including taking off the windsheild to do some good local offroading.
Took a nice dualsport ride directly west of Wasa past Kimberley & out to Kooteney Lake.

Saw some other adventure riders at the Kooteney ferry at Crawford Bay. They was headed to a Horizons Unlimited rally in Nakusp. There was also going to be a BMW rally there the following weekend. I've been to Nakusp before when my brother John lived there.. Great place!

Saw these mountain goats on the way back.

Back in Wasa spotted this cool biker chick. Hey is that my niece, Kendal?
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 10-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #146
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Saturday I did a great Dual sport ride going north of Wasa. Always seem to meet up with cattle on these rides. Friendly gals!

Met up with some friendly horses.

This one thought my jacket looked Yummy.

Like I said, Friendly! What is that in your eye?

Well I'm 3/4's of the way around my planned dual sport route, just need to cross back over the mountain range to get back. WHat??? ROAD CLOSED? I need o get to Kendals 10th birthday party starting at 4:00 & its already 3:30. It'll take 2 1/2 hours if I need to go back the same way I came which is the only other alternative. Well I'm gonna go forth & hope I can still get thru on the bike. X X

A little further ahead there was again a sign saying "Road Closed, Barrier Ahead" Oh great! Well lets see.
There it is.
Hmm... I can get over that. Lets go, Yee ha!

Had to ride up this steam next.

Very Pretty!

Some fun knarly trail.

Oh crap! Well that is a major barrier!!!
It's 4:00 now, the time I'm supposed to be back. It'll take 2 1/2 hours to go all the way back around.

Well here's the picture from the other side. Phew!

Well still took a while up & over but i made it made it! Only 1 hour late.
Happy 10th Birthday Kendal!

Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #147
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

We went all went on a hike together with some friends the next day.
We met this old prospector along the trail.

Lots of wild flowers.

There were numerous clear clean shallow ponds nearer the summit. The kids & dogs had fun rompin around in them.

Beautiful!
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #148
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Monday, took advantage of the fact Suzi was still nice & light. In offroad mode. Went west again to Gray Creek Pass.

Tried to do a more offroad oriented route over the Percell mountain range to Kootenay bay but eventually had to turn back & continue over Gray creek pass
again.

So my route was from Wasa Lake thru Kimberley to the Osprey Ferry crossing Kootenay lake. The crossing is 35minutes & is the longest free ferry crossing in
North America. My destination for the day was New Denver. Very nice little town on Slocan lake. The kootenay area is absolutely georgious.
From New Denver I went to Nakusp then dropped down to catch the next ferry at Fauquer to take Hw6 which is supposed to be a great motorcycling road out to
Cherryville. There was a huge lineup however with a 2 hour wait. My schedule did not alow for this & I was already late, so I took my time doing some great forest service roads heading back.

There are so many great places to motorcycle in British Colombia.

Went up a great & steep 12 mile long gravel road up to Idaho peak. Would have been a fantastic view but for the fact there were currently 400 forest fires
burning in Bc & was creating quite a haze. There is a hiking trail at the top which I would have loved to do but didn't due to the lack of visibility. I want to come back to this area some time for sure. It's just fantastic.

On the way back to the ferry I could feel my back tire loose & woobly. It had been losing air. Noticed as well now that, not realizing it was low, I must

have hit a few bad rocks as there were a few new & bad dings in my rim. Aired it back up, will monitor. x x
Now I've got just enough time I should be able to catch the next ferry but I better Hustle it's still a little ways. I crest a hill behind a slow car, see
I have enough space to pass & go for it. Back in my lane & see the on coming car is a Cop. & now his lights come on. Great! I pull over take my helmet off get my info out & expect he's gonna nail me for speeding. Cop say's "you passed on a double line back there". Hugh! I was amazed & surprised to hear that & told him Immediately,"Oh Officer I absolutely did not, it was a broken line, without a doubt". My response was so quick it got him wondering and he's looking down the road were you can actually see it. So he say's "hmm... OK well I'll give you the benefit of the doubt". I quickly said thank you &
proceeded to put my helmet & gloves back on. Now I really need to rush to have any chance of catching the next ferry. Almost there, might make it, get behind some slow traffic can't pass just before going thru a speed trap. Phew! Oh man! well got to the Ferry location, no Ferry & no cars. I obvoiusly just
missed it. Front a the line 50 minutes to wait. Well nice thing was I met & had a beer with some fellow adventure riders from Idaho who came in right behind me. I had passed them on the way & they wondered how I hadn't got nailed at the speed trap.

Had a great blast run back over Gray Creek pass back to Wasa. No speeding worries there! Plus the only lines were the ones I picked.
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #149
Rockin Rollin OP
Rockin Adventurer

Talking

Back to calgary next day Via Banff & the Kananskis Valley.

Back out to Kananaskis next & my last day. cathy was able to get last minute tee times. Normally they are booked up a year in advance. This was real nice.

Frank, Larry's son golfed with us.

Ah, I lost again. Hey like I said, I'm an adventure rider not a golfer.
I'm goin home!
Larry promised to take good care of Suzi till I get back. Thanks Guys!

Next trip:
Heading south, toward Panama, well kinda /sorta.
Rockin Rollin ta be roamin Wyomin
Yellowstone, the Beartooth & Chief Joseph highway, Jackson, Sturgis & the Black Hills Of Dakota; Crazyhorse, Mount Rushmore, finish Denver.
Click on:
-Baja 2009 from Canada
Let's ride!
Old 10-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #150
Rotten Ronnie
Crash

Oddometer: 339
I'm all caught up, and I think I need to move.

Those pictures are so stunning my jaw was dropping.

What camera are you using for these?

Ride Reports and other drivel:
http://rottenxxxronnie.blogspot.com/
Rotten Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote