Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Pheebs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Chasing Horizons - RTW Trip on KTM 690s - Egyptian Border Salloum

Hey people!

Sam and I have another thread lurking on here somewhere with our adventure details on it (severely out of date I believe) but wanted to post this separate as a bit of a spread-the-word to help others from being put in such a dangerous situation too!

Currently Sam and I have made it down to Ethiopia on our RTW trip and are having a wee chill out in Addis before potentially facing Lake Turkana into Kenya (all depends on the flash flooding and rains!)

We have had one hell of an adventure so far! Blog wise we have about 25 to upload to our website but due to a combination of how incredibly POOPYSCOOPY the back end of our site is and the tremendously stupid slow internet connection speeds its been a mental nightmare to get any up quickly!

I am hoping the next couple of days will see a good handful of them go up but for today I have posted a blog which I have refrained from doing so for many many months until we have been very clear of the country and any potential repercussions.

The blog is on our crossing from Libya to Egypt via the notorious Salloum border. We had the worst experience we have ever had on the whole trip here, myself the worst in my life after being held at gun point for sexual favours.

Please, as overlanders yourselves spread the word of our blog to anyone who may be considering doing the same crossing as us so to help protect them from being in the same situation we were. I know its now near impossible at the moment to get visas for Libya unless you fly in and supposedly the border is now shut to foreign nationals (it was in theory when we were there) but this border will not change its way for a long time... If ever. Would hate anything to happen to anyone else there.

Take a read here:

Egyptian Border Salloum Secret Police, Guns and Desperation | Chasing Horizons

On a more cheery note, lots more happy happy joy joy blogs to come in stark contrast to the above!! So keep watching, I will do my best to update on here the links when I can!

We are posting as regularly as possible though on our facebook page (www.facebook.com/chasinghorizons) which has OODLES of photos from Libya, Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia! Take a peek at them when you get the chance!

Hope all is mega! Stay safe people and I will try to upload the other thread as soon as possible! :)

Clare and Sam
Chasing Horizons | World Travel on Motorcycles