ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #31
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,855
Thanks for putting that together. I'm an old carpenter and enjoy the heck out of looking at old buildings and such. I need to start thinking of KS as something other than "the big flat state in between me and Colorado".

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #32
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,855
Wow! Just went back and listened to your friend Vince. Betcha he burns em down over at Winfield! Excuse me while I go put my guitar in the trash.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #33
RTinNC
RT to GS in NC

Oddometer: 989
My mom was from Kansas so as a kid we made the trip from NJ to KS each summer. As a young boy I loved it. had relative in Yates Center and cousins who went to Emporia University. Most of the time we spent in Wichita. Grandfather at Boeing for 30+ years and 2 uncles at Cessna for 25+ years. Few folks know Wichita is the Detroit of the aircraft industry and the home of Pizza Hut started by 2 young brothers.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski.dive
I Lived In Emporia,ks. A Long Time Ago,
Kansas Is A Beautiful State.

2006 R1200RT - Granite Gray
2012 R1200GSA - Magma Red!
RTinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #34
Jedediah
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Very Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Sprinter
Thanks for the feedback!

I ran my stills through iMovie, added a "Ken Burns" motion effect, then exported the QuickTime file to Flash and containerized it into a custom player.

Have also done a longer version which includes many, many more landscape shots. The acoustic soundtrack on this one was performed by a lifelong friend.
Hope you enjoy this one, too .... Best, Wind Sprinter
Thank you so much for this. What a pleasant sound and image. Really!

I would appreciate more of your efforts. I know this takes time and, well a lot of time. But know that it is received so well buy the community.

Thank you.

Jed.
09 BMW R1200GS ADVENTURE

"We are all going to die of something if we live long enough!." My Father
Jedediah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #35
Wind Sprinter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedediah
Thank you so much for this. What a pleasant sound and image. Really!

I would appreciate more of your efforts. I know this takes time and, well a lot of time. But know that it is received so well buy the community.

Thank you.

Jed.
You're more than welcome, Jed!
I've got some projects on the backburner that will come to fruition in the near future. When they're ready, you'll see them here!

Again, your comments are much appreciated ... Best, Wind Sprinter
Wind Sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #36
Ruidoso Ron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Eek

Very nice Roger!
I love old houses and I love Kansas, so your presentation hit the spot with me. I lived in Wichita briefly during the mid-60's, and then in Shawnee Mission during the late 70's-early 80's. I have very pleasant memories of the area....even the time I dead-sticked into the Cottonwood Falls Airport in my Taylorcraft in about '78. I fly the Super Cub to Oshkosh every year, and make a point of going out of my way to fly low and slow over the Flint Hills.
Thanks!
Ron

'11 Ural GU, named Gobi
'08 KLR650
'71 Bonneville
'71 Honda SL125
'80 Honda CM400

Proper British gentlemen do not venture about on motorcycles after dark. - Samual Lucas
Ruidoso Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:13 PM   #37
Wind Sprinter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New Video

Got my first 16:9 monitor, so just had to create a new video at that aspect ratio. This one contains about 97% new material and a nice acoustic soundtrack. Have tried to run the progression of scenes through the four seasons, starting with winter. Most of these shots were taken in the tallgrass prairies and riparian forests of central Kansas, and the high plains of western Kansas. Have also included some rider shots to give an idea of the vastness sometimes encountered. This one runs about twenty minutes or so.
Hope you enjoy ... Best, Wind Sprinter
Old 01-31-2010, 04:09 PM   #38
KLRlynuts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Gotta Link?

Wow, WindSprinter . . . Nice!

It seems almost serendipuos (a twentyfive cent word I can't spell), I happen to be reading W. L. Heat-Moons' old PrairyErth - a "deep map of Chase County, Kansas", and I come across your thread! Most Excellent! For those unfamiliar, Heat-Moon was able to write an in-depth, 622 page tome about the history and geography of Chase Co (Flint Hills/Tall Grass Prairie).

My backstory of loving Kansas goes to back in the day when, as a new-hire First Officer flying for Air MidWest, based in ICT; we'd board for an 0530 departure and flying towards the Emporia VOR, I'd look out at what I thought to be the longest, straightest unpaved road I'd ever seen. Fast forward a number of years, and I decided I'd find and ride that road. It was and still is Teeter Road ( and it goes by several other names/numbers as it crosses county lines). I like Teeter, because it describes a large slab of Osage limestone tipped up and kinda teetering on a hill crest just off the road. From Teeter Rock is one of the best vistas of the Flint Hills.

But to the point: I've read mention of this Flint Hills Stampede. Questions - When and Where? As it is most unlikely I will not have the resources to complete my overly grandiose trip West I had planned for '09, a Flint Hills road and rut ride would be good soul medicine.

No post should be without a picture. Unfortunately, my photos from my original Flint Hills ride were from my pre-digital days, and I have not digitized them. So, as a consulation, I offered a pic from the Smoky Hills River valley

Old 01-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #39
Wind Sprinter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRlynuts
But to the point: I've read mention of this Flint Hills Stampede. Questions - When and Where? As it is most unlikely I will not have the resources to complete my overly grandiose trip West I had planned for '09, a Flint Hills road and rut ride would be good soul medicine.
Thanks for the compliments, KLRlynuts! The Stampede will be held June 11-13, 2010 out of Eureka, KS (not that far from Teterville and Teter Rock!) For more information on the Stampede, here's the link: http://www.backroadstouring.org/kansas/stamp_10.htm

There's also tons of photos and stories from past events ... as well as a registration form / flyer that can be found on that page.

Perhaps we'll see you?

Best ... Wind Sprinter
Old 01-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #40
KLRlynuts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Anticipate a Loud KLR

WS,
Thanks for the quick response. I hope to be there. Way Cool!
Old 01-31-2010, 11:36 PM   #41
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Beautiful sceneries...
Thanks for the sharing.
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #42
out rider
Nearing the end

Oddometer: 589
Four of the Wisconsin 'Mud Riders" have sent in the money and forms and are looking forward to riding the Flint Hills.
out rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #43
Wind Sprinter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by out rider
Four of the Wisconsin 'Mud Riders" have sent in the money and forms and are looking forward to riding the Flint Hills.
Excellent! Interesting to note .... 'Flint Hills Stampede' participants get a shirt that recognizes them as "Outriders".
Seeya in June ... Best, Wind Sprinter
Old 02-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #44
Ks-Rydr
from the land of Toto

Oddometer: 207
As usual, a great job Roger, you are able to deliver the fealing of being there.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #45
DBrentMiller
Sojourn Publisher

Oddometer: 437
Wind Splinter those are some great productions. thanks for sharing.

I see you are in Wichita, and I should be passing the area on my Coast to Coast next summer, perhaps I'll have the opportunity to meet up with you, and maybe do an interview.

Brent

D. Brent Miller, writer, photographer, producer
www.DBrentMiller.com, Publisher of Sojourn Chronicles,
Sojourn Chronicles on Facebook
Currently riding a 2008 Suzuki V-Strom DL650.
DBrentMiller is offline   Reply With Quote