User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #31
Macadam Drifter OP
Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer: 723
Windquest,

Thanks for this post--amazing just amazing. I'm really looking forward to this ride. And to thing roaming wild buffalo being hunted by wolves, and remote as all hell.

I read a report from a guide who works this area; his comment was, "the park is a vast and wonderful place with many things to see. But people not familiar with the region need to keep their wits about them because from time to time outsiders just disappear and are never found". ---Hint: do you want a guide NOW .

MkD
Macadam Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #32
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
maps

Maps are sent Mike!

Jason
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #33
Macadam Drifter OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest
Maps are sent Mike!

Jason

Got em' Reply sent. Thanks

Mike
Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #34
rusty43
cruzincariboucountry

Oddometer: 320
I'm pretty sure the road ends at Peace Point in the Summer. I'll keep watching this thread to see when you are near Peace River. We've had little snow this winter so mountain pass road access should be good on your way up. The road north of Fort Nelson is much, much nicer than the one through High Level, so you will want to ride it as least one direction of your journey.
rusty43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #35
windquest
Studly Adventurer

question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty43
I'm pretty sure the road ends at Peace Point in the Summer. I'll keep watching this thread to see when you are near Peace River. We've had little snow this winter so mountain pass road access should be good on your way up. The road north of Fort Nelson is much, much nicer than the one through High Level, so you will want to ride it as least one direction of your journey.
Have you ever been west of Peace Point in the summer?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #36
rusty43
cruzincariboucountry

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Have you ever been west of Peace Point in the summer?
No, I've not even been in Wood Buff. park. I do get up to Hay River every second week with the work truck. I believe you can get to the Garden River area via a ferry past Fort Vermillion. I need to do some exploring out there.
rusty43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #37
Owlseye
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Just another update about Wood Buffalo Park; in the Emonton Journal today there was an article about the worlds biggest beaver dam--- 850 meters long ( twice as long as the Hoover Dam) and visible from space. In fact it was discovered by satellite images. It is in the south west part of the park--- probably can't get to it on your bikes though-- it takes a helicopter ride and a 2 day hike to get there. (At least according to the news article).

Best of luck on your trip -- it is 0 C today, and the snow is not all gone from one of our May blizzards of 2 days ago. Should be nice by June though.
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #38
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Cool..

Got any updates MD? I will be in Wood Buffalo June 20 th give or take a day then up to Yellowknife for a day then heading back south on the Trunk Road (first a visit to Kakwa Falls) to Waterton then the Road to the Sun then Cypress Hills then home.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #39
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Got any updates MD? I will be in Wood Buffalo June 20 th give or take a day then up to Yellowknife for a day then heading back south on the Trunk Road (first a visit to Kakwa Falls) to Waterton then the Road to the Sun then Cypress Hills then home.[/quote]

I believe he told me that he bought a bwm 650 dakar(i think), so his plans are on hold for a bit while he prepares the new bike...

Your trip sounds epic! Which roads are you planning on traveling in the Wood Buffalo? (parsons lake rd, pine lake rd, thebatcha rd?)

I highly recommend taking some of the Milk river route between Road to the Sun and Cypress Hills. There is a lot of cool stuff to see, like writing on Stone Provincial park...

If you'd like more info let me know and I can point you in the right direction.
Jason
Old 05-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #40
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I believe he told me that he bought a bwm 650 dakar(i think), so his plans are on hold for a bit while he prepares the new bike...

Your trip sounds epic! Which roads are you planning on traveling in the Wood Buffalo? (parsons lake rd, pine lake rd, thebatcha rd?)

I highly recommend taking some of the Milk river route between Road to the Sun and Cypress Hills. There is a lot of cool stuff to see, like writing on Stone Provincial park...

If you'd like more info let me know and I can point you in the right direction.
Jason
First off I'm glad you recommend not doing the Road to the Sun. I wasn't going to do it, originally I was going to stay in Canada and hug the border as closely as possible till I get to Cypress hills. Someone told me about it the Road to the Sun and I thought "meh....maybe" if you recommend a more DS way of getting from Waterton to Cyress Hills I would greatly appreciate your suggestion as I want this trip to be epic. Are there sand dunes in Cypress hills? Show me the Milk River route please.

Roads in Wood Buffalo....Parsons Lake yes, Pine lake maybe on the way back. I want to get to peace point. Only becasue the road ends. I might get to Fort Resolution but unsure yet if it'll be worth it.

Which one is thebatcha road?

I also wanted to go in through Fort Vermillion and stay at Garden Creek but there won't be enough time for that if I go up top Yellowknife.

I will be doing a RR but it will have to be done after not during. There's no way for me to be that organized or have the equipment to do it. I will post a link to it here, when I get to it, if MD doesn't mind. I want to try to create it as a less words more pics RR so the photos will have to be strategic.

My biggest dilemma right now is which bike to take. 2008 KLR (farkled) or 2001 XR650L totally super modified without stock fairing. I like both and both can do the trip but Comfort (KLR) or coolness (XRL)

Any thoughts or suggestions? KLR is set up for hiway XR is set up for dirt (Awesome for Kakwa and FTR)
Old 05-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #41
Macadam Drifter OP

Sorry I have been out of contact for a while.

I sold my GL1800 and did buy a 2007 BMW F650GS. Hopefully next week the F650GS will be going to Dauntless Motors for a hitch and pannier racks install. The hitch is to pull my Unitrak trailer. Note the F650 is not replacing the TW200 but it replaced the GL1800 so that I still have the ability to ride on the freeway when I need to from time to time.

The Wood Buffalo Trip right now is on hold because of my health issues. I still have the PICC Line installed and the "Chemo" treatments are continuing on a regular monthly basis, making it hard to attempt the Wood Buffalo Park Trip.

I have put everything on hold - but still plan on doing the Wood Buffalo Park Journey as soon as I can. I also want to have enough time on this trip to appreciate the experience and not just bang out miles and head home! But trying to do this trip and get "Chemo" treatments along the way would be too much for me. First of all I could not afford it and second I'm not tough enough to handle it either!

It appears, I will be limited to shorter trips for a while.

A Picture from one of my local shorter trips

Here is a picture of the F650GS I bought up on the lift being inspected in my little motorcycle workstation I built in the pole barn.

I bought the 650GS because I can no longer handle heavy bikes the GL1800 weighed over 850 pounds both the F650GS and TW200 are much lighter and easier for me to handle. Seat height is also critical for me now as well. Both the TW and F650 have low seat heights which makes ground handling much easier.

I appreciate all the effort and support I have received on this thread from all of you, and the efforts put into planning this trip will not be lost-I hope that I may be able to do this trip in the fall or maybe next summer-but this June unfortunately is not going to be possible.

I'm thankful I can still ride a bit from time to time but right now "A man has got to know his limitations".

MkD

Macadam Drifter screwed with this post 05-07-2010 at 10:06 PM
Old 05-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #42
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Wishing you the best in your recovery. This thread has helped me with some of my planning, so thank you....and to those who have inputted advice. I will post a link to my RR for you to get some ideas when its your turn to come up.

Be well.

Robin
Old 05-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #43
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
First off I'm glad you recommend not doing the Road to the Sun. I wasn't going to do it, originally I was going to stay in Canada and hug the border as closely as possible till I get to Cypress hills. Someone told me about it the Road to the Sun and I thought "meh....maybe" if you recommend a more DS way of getting from Waterton to Cyress Hills I would greatly appreciate your suggestion as I want this trip to be epic. Are there sand dunes in Cypress hills? Show me the Milk River route please.

Roads in Wood Buffalo....Parsons Lake yes, Pine lake maybe on the way back. I want to get to peace point. Only becasue the road ends. I might get to Fort Resolution but unsure yet if it'll be worth it.

Which one is thebatcha road?

I also wanted to go in through Fort Vermillion and stay at Garden Creek but there won't be enough time for that if I go up top Yellowknife.

I will be doing a RR but it will have to be done after not during. There's no way for me to be that organized or have the equipment to do it. I will post a link to it here, when I get to it, if MD doesn't mind. I want to try to create it as a less words more pics RR so the photos will have to be strategic.

My biggest dilemma right now is which bike to take. 2008 KLR (farkled) or 2001 XR650L totally super modified without stock fairing. I like both and both can do the trip but Comfort (KLR) or coolness (XRL)

Any thoughts or suggestions? KLR is set up for hiway XR is set up for dirt (Awesome for Kakwa and FTR)
The Road to the sun is a cool ride but all pavement and can be a little crazy with all the wacko tourists driving on it. However the milk river route sounds more like what you want... You can start from Waterton on HWY 5 or 6 and head east, whichever one you take you will make your way to the HWY 501. From here you can either follow the 501 or you can meander the range roads which I suspect are more interesting, very quiet and hug the boarder and the Milk River. The last "major" town will Cardston then continue east, throught the Wiskey Gap, Del Bonita, Milk River, Coutts. Then take the range roads which will lead you to the Writting on Stone Provincial Park. This place is rich with history so make sure you set enough time aside to see it. Continue on to Aden then back to the 501 continuing east you will drive right by Pakowki Lake. Head south shortly after on another Range Road which will follow the last bit of the Milk River before it crosses the boarder. From there head north on a range road that shortly passes into Sask. this should be a great DS road that will take you all the way to Cypress Hills. As far as sand dunes I don't believe there are any there. The closest one on your journey will likely be the one just outside of Hinton, AB. The Thebatcha "road" very loosely termed is a connection between garden creek and Peace Point. It has many creek and possibly river crossings as well. The Backroads Mapbook lists it as one of the most remote "roads" in Alberta. I would like to give it a go sometime but I think 2-3 riders would be necessary. I would recomend trying Parsons lake road as it has a neat salt planes area to check out. As you can see there are soo many things to see and do. maybe in the next few weeks we can sit down over a beer and I can show you it all on some real maps. I'd go for the XR650L, but I think it would be a great trip on either.

Jason
Old 05-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #44
windquest
Studly Adventurer

forgot to ask...

Elbirdo, forgot to ask... Where in Alberta are you?
Jason
Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #45
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The Road to the sun is a cool ride but all pavement and can be a little crazy with all the wacko tourists driving on it. However the milk river route sounds more like what you want... You can start from Waterton on HWY 5 or 6 and head east, whichever one you take you will make your way to the HWY 501. From here you can either follow the 501 or you can meander the range roads which I suspect are more interesting, very quiet and hug the boarder and the Milk River. The last "major" town will Cardston then continue east, throught the Wiskey Gap, Del Bonita, Milk River, Coutts. Then take the range roads which will lead you to the Writting on Stone Provincial Park. This place is rich with history so make sure you set enough time aside to see it. Continue on to Aden then back to the 501 continuing east you will drive right by Pakowki Lake. Head south shortly after on another Range Road which will follow the last bit of the Milk River before it crosses the boarder. From there head north on a range road that shortly passes into Sask. this should be a great DS road that will take you all the way to Cypress Hills. As far as sand dunes I don't believe there are any there. The closest one on your journey will likely be the one just outside of Hinton, AB. The Thebatcha "road" very loosely termed is a connection between garden creek and Peace Point. It has many creek and possibly river crossings as well. The Backroads Mapbook lists it as one of the most remote "roads" in Alberta. I would like to give it a go sometime but I think 2-3 riders would be necessary. I would recomend trying Parsons lake road as it has a neat salt planes area to check out. As you can see there are soo many things to see and do. maybe in the next few weeks we can sit down over a beer and I can show you it all on some real maps. I'd go for the XR650L, but I think it would be a great trip on either.

Jason
I would love to go it over with you & beer. ....I live in Bonnyville.....6 hours from Calgary ......It could be possible to meet. I'd like to get some hours in the saddle so I might be able to get south....maybe the June 5th wekend...that's the only weekend I have available anyway.

My backroads book labels that road as a winter road. I had considered/wondered if it went through. I say we do it in late September when the water levels are low and the bugs are gone......I would be totally into it if I could find others do try it.

Anyway..... the south route you mention is close to what I was looking at doing. My map doesn't show any roads to writing on stone...So we'll have to go over that. What about...I was thinking of taking hiway 6 to Chief Mountain then up RR 270 to 501 maybe visiting Police Outpost Prov. Park.....know anything about this.... worth a stopover? From that point East I don't have a back roads map. Is there a backroads mapbook for Southeast Alberta??

Got a good place to stay that you know of in Cypress HIlls...I was thinking Reenor lake.... but I'm more partial to free camping.

Thanks for the vote for the XRL..