ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #46
windquest
Studly Adventurer
 
windquest's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
I would love to go it over with you & beer.....I live in Bonnyville.....6 hours from Calgary ......It could be possible to meet. I'd like to get some hours in the saddle so I might be able to get south....maybe the June 5th wekend...that's the only weekend I have available anyway.

My backroads book labels that road as a winter road. I had considered/wondered if it went through. I say we do it in late September when the water levels are low and the bugs are gone......I would be totally into it if I could find others do try it.

Anyway..... the south route you mention is close to what I was looking at doing. My map doesn't show any roads to writing on stone...So we'll have to go over that. What about...I was thinking of taking hiway 6 to Chief Mountain then up RR 270 to 501 maybe visiting Police Outpost Prov. Park.....know anything about this.... worth a stopover? From that point East I don't have a back roads map. Is there a backroads mapbook for Southeast Alberta??

Got a good place to stay that you know of in Cypress HIlls...I was thinking Reenor lake.... but I'm more partial to free camping.

Thanks for the vote for the XRL..
Bonnyville is definetly a bit of a ride from Calgary! I can always email you stuff if it doesn't work out... You are correct about the "winter road" designation. From what I researched it is a proposed winter road. I spent some time on goolge earth to see if it infact did go all the way. about 2 hours later it appears that it does! though there are water crossings that I guestimated to be up to 10 meters across! and there are about a dozen or so crossings, no bridges that I saw. I was thinking august/september as well for an ideal time to give it a go. I think I've convinced a friend of mine (on a 2001 XR650R) to try it ... From what I had calculated you would need a good 350km+ range otherwise you would likely run out. That was just going straight from garden creek to fort fort smith.

The Southern Alberta backroads mapbook that I have shows a ton of detail including the road going to writing on stone PP. It covers everythinb from the crowesnest to sask, montana to about airdrie. The Police outpost PP is a pretty area but probably not worth it if you are running low on time, as the other places I suggested I feel are more worthwhile... Im not familiar with the camping at Cypress Hills but staying at the PP camping is probably the easiest as you would be close to the action which would save you time... I definetly recommend the backroads map book. there are 4 for alberta...
-southern AB
-Central AB
-Northern AB
-Canadian Rockies
also I highly recomend "Country Roads of Alberta" by Liz Bryan. It has a wealth of information especially on southern alberta and the foothills. there are a couple great route suggestions between calgary and waterton ... As you see there is a boat load of info!
Jason
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #47
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer
 
El Birdo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest


Bonnyville is definetly a bit of a ride from Calgary! I can always email you stuff if it doesn't work out... You are correct about the "winter road" designation. From what I researched it is a proposed winter road. I spent some time on goolge earth to see if it infact did go all the way. about 2 hours later it appears that it does! though there are water crossings that I guestimated to be up to 10 meters across! and there are about a dozen or so crossings, no bridges that I saw. I was thinking august/september as well for an ideal time to give it a go. I think I've convinced a friend of mine (on a 2001 XR650R) to try it ... From what I had calculated you would need a good 350km+ range otherwise you would likely run out. That was just going straight from garden creek to fort fort smith.

The Southern Alberta backroads mapbook that I have shows a ton of detail including the road going to writing on stone PP. It covers everythinb from the crowesnest to sask, montana to about airdrie. The Police outpost PP is a pretty area but probably not worth it if you are running low on time, as the other places I suggested I feel are more worthwhile... Im not familiar with the camping at Cypress Hills but staying at the PP camping is probably the easiest as you would be close to the action which would save you time... I definetly recommend the backroads map book. there are 4 for alberta...
-southern AB
-Central AB
-Northern AB
-Canadian Rockies
also I highly recomend "Country Roads of Alberta" by Liz Bryan. It has a wealth of information especially on southern alberta and the foothills. there are a couple great route suggestions between calgary and waterton ... As you see there is a boat load of info!
Jason
Thanks for the titles on those books. I have them reserved from the library. I also will be in touch with you closer to June. I need to put some miles on so I might come sown for a ride if you're around. I seriously think we should seriously consider thebetcha road..... seriously. I'm not scared of water.....really







seriously though.... I might have a buddy who could join us. He might be selling his DS bike though so I'm not sure if he'll want to tag along.

Here's another one...



Maybe we could get some floaty things like these guys.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...239330&page=81

Once we do that....I would like to tackle the Canol Road (North) heard of it? I read it here http://www.motorcycleexplorer.com/ (there's a link to NWT on the left then scroll through the pics. This is what got me interested in DSing. It requires a fuel drop. How cool.

Anyway I'll send you a PM when the time comes if I need more info for my route.

Cheers,

Robin
__________________
Riding something on two wheels
El Birdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:05 PM   #48
windquest
Studly Adventurer
 
windquest's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
Thanks for the titles on those books. I have them reserved from the library. I also will be in touch with you closer to June. I need to put some miles on so I might come sown for a ride if you're around. I seriously think we should seriously consider thebetcha road..... seriously. I'm not scared of water.....really







seriously though.... I might have a buddy who could join us. He might be selling his DS bike though so I'm not sure if he'll want to tag along.

Here's another one...



Maybe we could get some floaty things like these guys.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...239330&page=81

Once we do that....I would like to tackle the Canol Road (North) heard of it? I read it here http://www.motorcycleexplorer.com/ (there's a link to NWT on the left then scroll through the pics. This is what got me interested in DSing. It requires a fuel drop. How cool.

Anyway I'll send you a PM when the time comes if I need more info for my route.

Cheers,

Robin
Robin, you clearly are NOT afraid of deep water! I killed my KX250 on a deep crossing so I have mild reservations but I just check before crossing now. That's hilarious that you thought of those crazy polish guys and their raft! I was thinking the same thing...

I just finished looking at the Canol road... two words: Gratuitously Epic! That is a must do along with ordering that 7 gallon ims tank and the 4 gallon acerbis seat tank lol! I always wanted to travel to other countries on my bike, but Im realizing now that some of the best epic/remote/crazy riding is right in our back door. Let me know if you find anymore crazy rides.
Jason
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #49
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer
 
El Birdo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest
Robin, you clearly are NOT afraid of deep water! I killed my KX250 on a deep crossing so I have mild reservations but I just check before crossing now. That's hilarious that you thought of those crazy polish guys and their raft! I was thinking the same thing...

I just finished looking at the Canol road... two words: Gratuitously Epic! That is a must do along with ordering that 7 gallon ims tank and the 4 gallon acerbis seat tank lol! I always wanted to travel to other countries on my bike, but Im realizing now that some of the best epic/remote/crazy riding is right in our back door. Let me know if you find anymore crazy rides.
Jason
you got it....

I take it you have an XR650R. I like those tank options when I was looking for a DS bike but I didn't like that super tiny seat and all the oil changes the XRR needs.

I have a big plastic donut tube we could bring along. I may test it this summer to see how much wieght it holds I also have a 12 volt socket and a tiny air pump to bring.
__________________
Riding something on two wheels
El Birdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #50
windquest
Studly Adventurer
 
windquest's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Oddometer: 574
seats and tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
you got it....

I take it you have an XR650R. I like those tank options when I was looking for a DS bike but I didn't like that super tiny seat and all the oil changes the XRR needs.

I have a big plastic donut tube we could bring along. I may test it this summer to see how much wieght it holds I also have a 12 volt socket and a tiny air pump to bring.
You are correct!
I didn't realise the XRR seat was so small! I thought it was pretty big, at least in comparison to the aprillia RXV550 I saw a few weeks ago... How big is the seat on the XRL? What kinda of oil schedual does your bike have? I never really checked when looking for my bike... I like this donut idea! let me know if the XRL sinks or swims... Do you have any other info on this Canol rd/trail???
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:03 AM   #51
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer
 
El Birdo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest
You are correct! I didn't realise the XRR seat was so small! I thought it was pretty big, at least in comparison to the aprillia RXV550 I saw a few weeks ago... How big is the seat on the XRL? What kinda of oil schedual does your bike have? I never really checked when looking for my bike... I like this donut idea! let me know if the XRL sinks or swims... Do you have any other info on this Canol rd/trail???
Nice bike ! The XRL seat is a little more dished, longer in the back. I have replaced the foam and seat cover with a Guts racing. Much better still hard on the ass on long rides.

Oil changes is listed at every 6000miles so I do it once a year. I have to add oil every now and then so oil changes aren't too crucial. I read that the XRR needed oil changes every 1000 kms so I figured with all the tripping I want to do it was just something I wouldn't want to do on the road.

I will take pics of the bike on the tube

As for the Canol....I did more reseach last year. I was pretty gung ho on it but realized its probably something I can't do alone so I haven't really thought about it till now. Thanks Here's a link I have bookmarked http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/canol.htm its an old blog about mountain bikers who did it. I do have maps that show the route and have a client that I consulted with who used to live in Norman Wells.

Here's a better look at my seat

__________________
Riding something on two wheels
El Birdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:27 AM   #52
windquest
Studly Adventurer
 
windquest's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
Nice bike ! The XRL seat is a little more dished, longer in the back. I have replaced the foam and seat cover with a Guts racing. Much better still hard on the ass on long rides.

Oil changes is listed at every 6000miles so I do it once a year. I have to add oil every now and then so oil changes aren't too crucial. I read that the XRR needed oil changes every 1000 kms so I figured with all the tripping I want to do it was just something I wouldn't want to do on the road.

I will take pics of the bike on the tube

As for the Canol....I did more reseach last year. I was pretty gung ho on it but realized its probably something I can't do alone so I haven't really thought about it till now. Thanks Here's a link I have bookmarked http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/canol.htm its an old blog about mountain bikers who did it. I do have maps that show the route and have a client that I consulted with who used to live in Norman Wells.

Here's a better look at my seat

6000 mile oil changes are pretty sweet! The XRR is 1000 km but to be honest I change it about ever 1500km and it doesn't seem to make any difference, though Im not hard on the clutch and I don't wring its neck to often as it makes soooo much torque down low . As of yet I have not done a ride long enough to require an oil change mid ride. I do have a 4 day trip planned in August to the crowsnest area. I'll probably change the oil before I leave and when I get back.

If you give me the measurements of the tube when its fully inflated I can calculate how much boyancy it will offer... just need the diameter of the tube and the inner and outer diameter of the tube, that way you don't have to swim with your bike needlessly!
Jason
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #53
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer
 
El Birdo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest
6000 mile oil changes are pretty sweet! The XRR is 1000 km but to be honest I change it about ever 1500km and it doesn't seem to make any difference, though Im not hard on the clutch and I don't wring its neck to often as it makes soooo much torque down low . As of yet I have not done a ride long enough to require an oil change mid ride. I do have a 4 day trip planned in August to the crowsnest area. I'll probably change the oil before I leave and when I get back.

If you give me the measurements of the tube when its fully inflated I can calculate how much boyancy it will offer... just need the diameter of the tube and the inner and outer diameter of the tube, that way you don't have to swim with your bike needlessly!
Jason
We use this tube mainly to put the boat lift in the water. So it should be okay. I'll see what I do about the measurements. Have a good weekend.
__________________
Riding something on two wheels
El Birdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #54
ChaseZero
Unpaid Test Subject
 
ChaseZero's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Oddometer: 14
Have you left for Yellowknife yet? I am in Grande Prairie and am planning to head out around the 8th of june, and plan to return for the 18th. Who knows, perhaps we'll meet up!

Chase
ChaseZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #55
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer
 
El Birdo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseZero
Have you left for Yellowknife yet? I am in Grande Prairie and am planning to head out around the 8th of june, and plan to return for the 18th. Who knows, perhaps we'll meet up!

Chase
Aw that's too bad. We're totally going to miss each other. I'm heading out June 19th. Original plan was for June 5th but then changed to the 19th, There's a portion of the Forestry Trunk Road that opens June 15th that I'd like to ride.

What are your plans when you get there? Ideas please.
__________________
Riding something on two wheels
El Birdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #56
Macadam Drifter OP
Explorer of the Backroads
 
Macadam Drifter's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Central Washington
Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
Aw that's too bad. We're totally going to miss each other. I'm heading out June 19th. Original plan was for June 5th but then changed to the 19th, There's a portion of the Forestry Trunk Road that opens June 15th that I'd like to ride.

What are your plans when you get there? Ideas please.
I'm glad to see that someone has taken the initiative and others will be leaving soon.

Let me know if your going to do a ride report so I can follow along.


I hope to follow in your footsteps, hopefully sooner than later. I too would like to travel the Forestry Trunk Road.

How's the weather in Grande Prairie? I hear its hot and dry up north and there are some forest fires.

I should know something after June 29th. Looks like I will have some surgery in July and then things will stabilize out for me.

Maybe I can still get this ride in during August or early September.

MkD
__________________
The TW200 is slow but the Earth is patient
A Solo TW200 Travels From WA to MN
My Travelblog Updated 11/22/2011
Macadam Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #57
ChaseZero
Unpaid Test Subject
 
ChaseZero's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Oddometer: 14
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadam Drifter
I'm glad to see that someone has taken the initiative and others will be leaving soon.
LOL That has to be the first time anyone's said that about me
Let me know if your going to do a ride report so I can follow along.

I've never written one, but if it includes snapping photos and describing what's going on, no problem.

I hope to follow in your footsteps, hopefully sooner than later. I too would like to travel the Forestry Trunk Road.

How's the weather in Grande Prairie? I hear its hot and dry up north and there are some forest fires.

It has been quite dry here, but the 3 inches or so of snow we recieved on May (21st) Long Weekend sure dampened a lot of the fire bans. It always seems to snow on the 1st long weekend of the season

I should know something after June 29th. Looks like I will have some surgery in July and then things will stabilize out for me.

I wish you a speedy recovery, there is nothing worse than being laid up during the riding season, it's especially worse when it is so short up here.

Maybe I can still get this ride in during August or early September.

MkD
I'll be sure to keep you all posted with my progress.

Chase
ChaseZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #58
ChaseZero
Unpaid Test Subject
 
ChaseZero's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
Aw that's too bad. We're totally going to miss each other. I'm heading out June 19th. Original plan was for June 5th but then changed to the 19th, There's a portion of the Forestry Trunk Road that opens June 15th that I'd like to ride.

What are your plans when you get there? Ideas please.
LOL I'll be back by the 19th here in GP, at the very least we could meet up and have a coffee, and share stories.

My mother and siblings live up there, so it should be a fairly sedate experience once in YK, though I have plans to check out some of the abandoned gold mine haul roads, and definitely take a run up the Ingram Trail, if only to see where it ends. There are plenty of unique sights to see there, and quite a few Geocaches, if that's your thing.

If you enjoy fishing, I hear it's a great place to do it, there are places to rent you boats, perhaps even gear.

If you are a fan of Ice Pilots NWT on the History channel you can ride by the Buffalo Hangar. You could even pop in and see if Joe will yell at you LOL.

I'll let you know what I encounter while up there.

Chase


ChaseZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #59
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer
 
El Birdo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadam Drifter
I'm glad to see that someone has taken the initiative and others will be leaving soon.

Let me know if your going to do a ride report so I can follow along.


I hope to follow in your footsteps, hopefully sooner than later. I too would like to travel the Forestry Trunk Road.

How's the weather in Grande Prairie? I hear its hot and dry up north and there are some forest fires.


I should know something after June 29th. Looks like I will have some surgery in July and then things will stabilize out for me.

Maybe I can still get this ride in during August or early September.

MkD
I WILL be doing a RR but I am not equipped to do it on the road so after most likely. I also like to the the Iron Butt thing and put lots of miles on, I will be taking good notes and planning the photos on my way up. Sorry but It'll have to be July when I start the RR. I WILL post a link for those who are interested.

I plan to visit most or all the waterfalls (it might just be a waterfall RR, lots more on the way south), plus the salt plains and sink holes in Wood Buffalo, Hope to get to Peace Point. Will be going to Rainbow Lake....why? its the Northwest Corner of Alberta, I thought about Zama City but too crowded with oil trucks probably. I'm thinking about going to Fort Vermillion and contiuing on to Garden Creek in Wood Buffalo, Maybe seeing how far the road goes. I haven't tested my tube idea yet but ....maybe this weekend

If things go well for you, hope they do, and you do the ride in Sept. I'd be willing to show you some sights if I can get away.

Planning is coming together nicely for the Southern part of AB as well....I'm getting anxious to leave.
__________________
Riding something on two wheels

El Birdo screwed with this post 06-02-2010 at 08:48 PM
El Birdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #60
windquest
Studly Adventurer
 
windquest's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Oddometer: 574
garden creek

El Birdo, Hows the last bit of planning coming along? looking forward to your pics and stories of the road past Garden Creek!

Are you still swinging by cowtown?
Jason
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014