Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #61
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by windquest
El Birdo, Hows the last bit of planning coming along? looking forward to your pics and stories of the road past Garden Creek!

Are you still swinging by cowtown?
Jason
The planning stage as far as the route is concerned is complete. I won't be IN Calgary. The closest I'll be will be following the FTR. I will be taking the most southerly route across the bottom and following the Sask border road up to Cypress. Join me for part of it if you like. Crowsnest maybe...then we'll see if we're compatible for the Wood Buffalo adventure.

I got the South alberta backroads book and mapped out a cool ride (I hope) near Drumheller as well. Includung the Ghost town of Wayne. Now I need to get my shit together and start thinking about supplies and the bike of choice needs a little tweek.......klr..... .....it handle gravel way better than the XR does. I put new tires on the XR so I'll give that a go on the weekend to see if it makes it more stable.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #62
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Birdo
The planning stage as far as the route is concerned is complete. I won't be IN Calgary. The closest I'll be will be following the FTR. I will be taking the most southerly route across the bottom and following the Sask border road up to Cypress. Join me for part of it if you like. Crowsnest maybe...then we'll see if we're compatible for the Wood Buffalo adventure.

I got the South alberta backroads book and mapped out a cool ride (I hope) near Drumheller as well. Includung the Ghost town of Wayne. Now I need to get my shit together and start thinking about supplies and the bike of choice needs a little tweek.......klr..... .....it handle gravel way better than the XR does. I put new tires on the XR so I'll give that a go on the weekend to see if it makes it more stable.
Sounds like you have a gerat trip planned! I'll try and meet up along the FTR if the timing works out. Are you taking HWY 734 - 1A - Canmore - HWY 40? Any approximate date for that section?

I highly reccomend stoping in Wayne. They have a great saloon full of cool stuff, used to have a horse that would come in for beers (no kidding). They also have a campsite if that happens to be a stop. The lady and I drove there this spring. I believe there are about 11 bridges on that short section of road.

Make sure to post some pics of the bike loaded up, and maybe your route on google etc...
Jason
windquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:20 AM   #63
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like you have a gerat trip planned! I'll try and meet up along the FTR if the timing works out. Are you taking HWY 734 - 1A - Canmore - HWY 40? Any approximate date for that section?

I highly reccomend stoping in Wayne. They have a great saloon full of cool stuff, used to have a horse that would come in for beers (no kidding). They also have a campsite if that happens to be a stop. The lady and I drove there this spring. I believe there are about 11 bridges on that short section of road.

Make sure to post some pics of the bike loaded up, and maybe your route on google etc...
Jason
On the 27th I should be near Canmore. The FTR is hwy 734 up to Burnt Timber then changes to 40 and goes through Waiparous. Before the big turn to Waip. according to the backroads map there's a Richards Road, probably oilfield related, that gets you to Hwy 1A, I will take that to Canmore and head South through Spray Lakes Road which I've seen the sign for many times but never travelled it.

I was thinking about starting the RR before I go and post pics, also might hit an internet cafe in Yellowknife to update it.

The google thing I've sort of got done but it taks SOOO long to post those points and change the route the my computer freezes and loses the hour I spent on dragging the route. Mapquest was a little faster but it's raining this weekend so maybe I'll try again. ANy ideas on how to make it smoother? Maybe I'm not using it properly.

I will have my friend SPOT with me, I named her ALICE (in wonderland) representing the unknown adventure that awaits. I will share a link toit with my password on my RR.

Thanks for the heads up camping in Wayne. I thinkthat would be good timing for me to camp there. I have heard about the bridges...maybe I'll count them and post the eexact numbers.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #64
windquest
Studly Adventurer

El birdo

I will be across the mountains to the east just past the sheep river area that weekend! Supposed to be hitting the single track in McLean Creek with a fellow XRR rider. Just a quick google browse indicated that there was a "road" connecting powderface tr. with HWY 40. If timming and luck are on our side we might be able to intercept you about 35-40km before the hwy 40 junction. Are you still going with the KLR? Good call on Alice, that way we can cover your back.

Jason
Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #65
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I will be across the mountains to the east just past the sheep river area that weekend! Supposed to be hitting the single track in McLean Creek with a fellow XRR rider. Just a quick google browse indicated that there was a "road" connecting powderface tr. with HWY 40. If timming and luck are on our side we might be able to intercept you about 35-40km before the hwy 40 junction. Are you still going with the KLR? Good call on Alice, that way we can cover your back.

Jason
I think that road might show up on one of the backroads mapbook....maybe the Canadian Rockies edition. Timing will depend on weather and how much loligagging I do.

Yes I am taking the KLR....still want to take the XRL though but the KLR is set up better for the hwy miles AND its WAY more stable than the XRL on gravel. I have taken it offroad and would say that my skills (intermediate) are the same on both bikes, maybe better on the KLR since the XRL is SO tall.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:26 AM   #66
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I think that road might show up on one of the backroads mapbook....maybe the Canadian Rockies edition. Timing will depend on weather and how much loligagging I do.

Yes I am taking the KLR....still want to take the XRL though but the KLR is set up better for the hwy miles AND its WAY more stable than the XRL on gravel. I have taken it offroad and would say that my skills (intermediate) are the same on both bikes, maybe better on the KLR since the XRL is SO tall.
Checked the rockies backroads mapbook... look like taking that road will result in a very illegal ride . I may just have to live through your RR. keep us posted!
Jason
Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #67
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Checked the rockies backroads mapbook... look like taking that road will result in a very illegal ride . I may just have to live through your RR. keep us posted!
Jason
I bought myself a little notepad so I can update the RR when I get wifi access. I don't know how often that will be but I will try. I will also write it as its happening so you won't have to wait all summer for it.

I tried doing the google maps thing. Its way too slow putting in all those points and dragging that damn route. Mapwuest was a little better because it shows more backroads but still slow. I want to post my route at the beginning of the RR got any ideas on how I can do this? I want to start the RR this weekend to give a heads up to other inmates.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #68
windquest
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I bought myself a little notepad so I can update the RR when I get wifi access. I don't know how often that will be but I will try. I will also write it as its happening so you won't have to wait all summer for it.

I tried doing the google maps thing. Its way too slow putting in all those points and dragging that damn route. Mapwuest was a little better because it shows more backroads but still slow. I want to post my route at the beginning of the RR got any ideas on how I can do this? I want to start the RR this weekend to give a heads up to other inmates.
Have you tried google earth? It's not too slow, used it before to map out the thebatcha "road". the other option is to scan in the maps and just use a program like paint to trace your route... that's all i've got!
JAson
Old 06-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #69
rusty43
cruzincariboucountry

Oddometer: 312
Hope to get to Peace Point. Will be going to Rainbow Lake....why? its the Northwest Corner of Alberta, I thought about Zama City but too crowded with oil trucks probably. I'm thinking about going to Fort Vermillion and contiuing on to Garden Creek in Wood Buffalo, Maybe seeing how far the road goes. [quote]

Rainbow lake has good pavement from High Level with construction on it right now for widening. You can take backroads to Zama from there if it's dry, you won't want to do them after a rain. Zama back to the main highway is wide gravel road, potentially very dusty if the traffic is heavy and it hasn't rained for a day or two. I think there is a Mud Bog weekend at High Level on the 19/20th. Are you coming through Athabasca/Slave Lake ? I'm in Nampa (just south of Peace River) and have cold beer and a garage/lawn/bed if you need it.
rusty43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #70
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Rainbow lake has good pavement from High Level with construction on it right now for widening. You can take backroads to Zama from there if it's dry, you won't want to do them after a rain. Zama back to the main highway is wide gravel road, potentially very dusty if the traffic is heavy and it hasn't rained for a day or two. I think there is a Mud Bog weekend at High Level on the 19/20th. Are you coming through Athabasca/Slave Lake ? I'm in Nampa (just south of Peace River) and have cold beer and a garage/lawn/bed if you need it.[/quote]

I was hoping to avoid Zama because of the traffic. Will the construction slow me down alot?

I will be passing through you twice it looks like. Not sure if that will be a good stopping point for campout, more probable on the way back, but I will let you know and thanks for the offer . PM me your phone number please. If there's a chance I may call you.

Robin
Old 06-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #71
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

RIDE REPORT has begun....

here's the link http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589142

anything related let's keep it there.

Now I feel accountable woohoo

Robin
Old 06-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #72
rusty43
cruzincariboucountry

I was hoping to avoid Zama because of the traffic. Will the construction slow me down alot?

I will be passing through you twice it looks like. Not sure if that will be a good stopping point for campout, more probable on the way back, but I will let you know and thanks for the offer . PM me your phone number please. If there's a chance I may call you.

Robin[/quote]

I'll be in High Level all week 14th-18th, and will be in Rainbow on 16th so I can let you know the road conditions on that day. Not a lot of traffic this time of year generally unless there is a gravel haul going on. Rumor has it they are going to pave a portion of the Zama road, I don't travel it any more but I'll ask about it. PM sent
Old 06-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #73
rusty43
cruzincariboucountry

I'll be in High Level all week 14th-18th, and will be in Rainbow on 16th so I can let you know the road conditions on that day. Not a lot of traffic this time of year generally unless there is a gravel haul going on. Rumor has it they are going to pave a portion of the Zama road, I don't travel it any more but I'll ask about it. PM sent[/quote]

Rainbow highway is in good shape, 50kmh zones are fairly short. I was told that Zama road was just gravelled, so you may want to avoid that one altogether. Have a great trip.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #74
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty43
Rainbow highway is in good shape, 50kmh zones are fairly short. I was told that Zama road was just gravelled, so you may want to avoid that one altogether. Have a great trip.
Thank you
Old 06-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #75
El Birdo
Studly Adventurer

Hey Windquest !! calling all Windquests......Two days left to go and I think I'm most excited/anxious/nervous to see Garden Creek......Well next to getting to Kakwa falls..