Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2004, 06:48 PM   #1
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,324
Educate me

If it's possible
Way back when Shep was a pup I had an R100S. I believe it was a 1978 but could have been a 77... just can't remember... Anyway, I sold it for many stupid reasons, one of which was it didn't have "unleaded" heads. I would have had to have the hardened seats installed to keep it.

Question one. What was the first year they put the hardened seats in the Airheads?

Question Two. There was a significant decrease in HP somewhere in the late 70's early 80's on the R100's. I believe it was due to a compression drop and smaller carbs but not sure. What was the year was it and what was the change (ok, actually 2 questions)

Jonesing for an airhead and can't think of a better model (maybe an RS instead of an S?) Looks like the prices are stable... just thinking...

Thanks,
Gerg

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 10:14 AM   #2
Flash
Sand Boxer

Oddometer: 3,163
Hi Gerg.

When BMW reintroduced the Boxer in 87 those bikes wee compatible with unleaded fuel. The 77-79 /7's had cast iron valve seats and (for the most part) did not have a great deal of problem with unleaded fuel. The 80-84's had an alloy seat and were the bikes most susceptible to the "won't hold an adjustment" problem. Anymore unleaded valve seat installation is all part of a normal , ahem, head job, and not all that expensive. For a good read on the subject, go here

From the /7's intro in 76 as a 77 model, horsepower dropped each year. Folks seem to prefer the 77-79 models if HP is an issue, The 80 modle introduced the Pulse Air Injection System which pumped air into the exhaust port and made the bike "pop" on deceleration. The monolever bikes tool another hit in the HP pants, when they came along in 87.

And you hit it, each year lower comp ratio and smaller carbs. Fuel economy was excellent but.... Course anymore, airheads are cruisers and HP is a relative question. The R100's started out at 70 HP or so in 77 and left the building in 95 at 54 HP IIRC. The downside is the 77-79 bikes are real octane pigs. My 78 does not like 92 octane. I can get leaded 110 octane about a mile from here and the bike runs like a champ. If I'm gonna travel I have to retard the timing so it doesn't ping itself to death on the 92 proof.

I've got a soft spot for the S model, but the RS is cool too. The RS ergo's can be "different." Sorta an acqured taste. The narrow short bar was tough on my wrists. Airhead RT's are popular too, with us...experienced......airhead pilots. There's always a good selection on eBay and IBNWR.

Buy one as a 2nd bike. It's a great Sunday morning ride. 100-200 miles and then home with a smile, remembering why you got into bikes in the 1st place.

Flash screwed with this post 09-26-2004 at 10:27 AM
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,696
Get a R 100 CS
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:50 PM   #4
Gerg OP
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash
Hi Gerg.

When BMW reintroduced the Boxer in 87 those bikes wee compatible with unleaded fuel. The 77-79 /7's had cast iron valve seats and (for the most part) did not have a great deal of problem with unleaded fuel. The 80-84's had an alloy seat and were the bikes most susceptible to the "won't hold an adjustment" problem. Anymore unleaded valve seat installation is all part of a normal , ahem, head job, and not all that expensive. For a good read on the subject, go here

From the /7's intro in 76 as a 77 model, horsepower dropped each year. Folks seem to prefer the 77-79 models if HP is an issue, The 80 modle introduced the Pulse Air Injection System which pumped air into the exhaust port and made the bike "pop" on deceleration. The monolever bikes tool another hit in the HP pants, when they came along in 87.

And you hit it, each year lower comp ratio and smaller carbs. Fuel economy was excellent but.... Course anymore, airheads are cruisers and HP is a relative question. The R100's started out at 70 HP or so in 77 and left the building in 95 at 54 HP IIRC. The downside is the 77-79 bikes are real octane pigs. My 78 does not like 92 octane. I can get leaded 110 octane about a mile from here and the bike runs like a champ. If I'm gonna travel I have to retard the timing so it doesn't ping itself to death on the 92 proof.

I've got a soft spot for the S model, but the RS is cool too. The RS ergo's can be "different." Sorta an acqured taste. The narrow short bar was tough on my wrists. Airhead RT's are popular too, with us...experienced......airhead pilots. There's always a good selection on eBay and IBNWR.

Buy one as a 2nd bike. It's a great Sunday morning ride. 100-200 miles and then home with a smile, remembering why you got into bikes in the 1st place.

Thanks Flash... good info... and THAT was my S....smoke red and snowflakes. It was a special (read "cheap") model that didn't come with the sport fairing. It did have the clock and voltmeter in seperate pods off the top triple clamp. Didn't matter because I put the Luftmiester (vetter knock off) and Krauser bags. Made a pretty nice tourer. My seat was just a bit different than that bike too... flatter... I put a Corbin on (pos but better that stock).

Ah the memories...

Gerg

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote