ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 10:47 PM   #61
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Clancy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Land of droughts, and flooding rains
Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3legs
I've said it before and I will say it again. Your'e a harsh man Neil.
Smart arse

3legs
Yeah; I know Pay back is such a bitch eh

Seriously though Alex, Here's a few pics, maybe some ideas.
Not sure what you're doing for a fridge, but I'm fitting a 35 ltr Engel. I went in to check out the shock absorbing carrier for it.
For $150+ it's two pieces of plywood, with four springs between them and four holes for the fridge feet to locate on Fuck that. I went and bought some medium density rubber and made my own.




It's a heavy duty, deep cycle battery.



3mm aluminium floor




Fridge carrier



__________________
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:13 PM   #62
FR700
Heckler™©®
 
FR700's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy

Did you go with a standard K11 shock ?
Have you incorporated any means for wheel lead adjustment ?


.
__________________
I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
FR700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #63
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars
 
3legs's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Adelaide,South Oz
Oddometer: 998
Oooooh. Very pretty. The chair,not you Yours looks a bit wider than mine. I'm running my 35l Waeco fridge north/south because I have deliberately wanted to keep it a skinny as possible but still wide enough to run in car tracks (plus it keeps the weight down, every bit counts).

My batteries will run east/west right at the back on the base and the pantry,water tap,first aid kit, PLB and electrics will be above the batteries.

The bike battery will be a marine battery and the Aux battery is a 80 amp/hour thingamebobs what ever you call them deep cycle battery.

They are the same batteries I had at Strathmerton.

Basically it will have 3 compartments, Front compartment will have stove, gas bottle and recovery gear. Middle, fridge,chair,swag,water,tools and other bits and pieces which will include a spare diff and other spares (fuel pump,filter etc) and rear, batteries and pantry.

Shovel,axe,fuel,spare wheel and tractions mats will be mounted outside.

I'm hoping to keep the weight of the body and chassis (unloaded) to under 50kgs and based on preliminary figures I reckon that's achieveable.

Fully loaded I hope to keep the whole chair,chassis and gear to around 100 kg's but I'm pretty certain that's not going to happen as the batteries and fridge combined weight is about 40 kgs but they are the heaviest items so I may get it under 130kgs which is probably what I would be carrying if I was transporting a person and gear (or 200kgs if I was carrying Snayle ).

Anyway, more tomorrow.

3legs
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #64
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Clancy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Land of droughts, and flooding rains
Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700
Did you go with a standard K11 shock ?
Have you incorporated any means for wheel lead adjustment ?


.
Yes mate. It's a standard shock off the rear of the bike. If it works ok, I'll leave it, but there's a wide choice of springs if I need to go softer.
The whole outfit has plenty of room for wheel lead adjustment, both at the struts between to two, and at the wheel.

__________________
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #65
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Clancy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Land of droughts, and flooding rains
Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3legs
Oooooh. Very pretty. The chair,not you Yours looks a bit wider than mine. I'm running my 35l Waeco fridge north/south because I have deliberately wanted to keep it a skinny as possible but still wide enough to run in car tracks (plus it keeps the weight down, every bit counts).

My batteries will run east/west right at the back on the base and the pantry,water tap,first aid kit, PLB and electrics will be above the batteries.

The bike battery will be a marine battery and the Aux battery is a 80 amp/hour thingamebobs what ever you call them deep cycle battery.

They are the same batteries I had at Strathmerton.

Basically it will have 3 compartments, Front compartment will have stove, gas bottle and recovery gear. Middle, fridge,chair,swag,water,tools and other bits and pieces which will include a spare diff and other spares (fuel pump,filter etc) and rear, batteries and pantry.

Shovel,axe,fuel,spare wheel and tractions mats will be mounted outside.

I'm hoping to keep the weight of the body and chassis (unloaded) to under 50kgs and based on preliminary figures I reckon that's achieveable.

Fully loaded I hope to keep the whole chair,chassis and gear to around 100 kg's but I'm pretty certain that's not going to happen as the batteries and fridge combined weight is about 40 kgs but they are the heaviest items so I may get it under 130kgs which is probably what I would be carrying if I was transporting a person and gear (or 200kgs if I was carrying Snayle ).

Anyway, more tomorrow.

3legs

Sounds Great Alex. Our ideas are similar, just a different layout. Mine's going to be a bit wider and heavier though. It comes out at a bit narrower then Land Cruiser width, and hopefully a fair bit of stuff will go in the box on the front. Tools and spares in the compartment under the fuel tank/battery.
Hopefully you won't have to carry Snayle Be careful though, don't upset him, or you might have to cook for yourself
__________________
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #66
FR700
Heckler™©®
 
FR700's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy
Yes mate. It's a standard shock off the rear of the bike. If it works ok, I'll leave it, but there's a wide choice of springs if I need to go softer.
The whole outfit has plenty of room for wheel lead adjustment, both at the struts between to two, and at the wheel.
Plus if the one on the bike shits the bed you can swap it with the one on the chair until you get home
Looking good by the way



.
__________________
I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
FR700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #67
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Clancy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Land of droughts, and flooding rains
Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700
Plus if the one on the bike shits the bed you can swap it with the one on the chair until you get home
Looking good by the way



.

Thanks Because of what I want to do with it, the plan has been to build lots of adjustability and relaceability into it. The sidecar wheel/tyre and the rear one on the bike will be the same, the shocks will be easy to change/replace, extra fuel capacity, etc. No doubt there will be snags somewhere as it's my first attempt at this , but I've taken heaps of advice from the blokes that have been there and done it, so hopefully it won't be too much of a balls up
__________________
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:14 AM   #68
FR700
Heckler™©®
 
FR700's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Traveler
Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy
Thanks Because of what I want to do with it, the plan has been to build lots of adjustability and relaceability into it. The sidecar wheel/tyre and the rear one on the bike will be the same, the shocks will be easy to change/replace, extra fuel capacity, etc. No doubt there will be snags somewhere as it's my first attempt at this , but I've taken heaps of advice from the blokes that have been there and done it, so hopefully it won't be too much of a balls up
Mines all set up so that the rear and chair wheels/tyres are interchangable .I just couldn't be arsed to altered the mudguard bracket on the chair by a poofteenth .So I'm getting rid of it .How lazy is that ? Even went to the trouble of getting stuff organised for a single sided front leading link with matching rim/wheel .


.


.
__________________
I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
FR700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #69
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Clancy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Land of droughts, and flooding rains
Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR700
Mines all set up so that the rear and chair wheels/tyres are interchangable .I just couldn't be arsed to altered the mudguard bracket on the chair by a poofteenth .So I'm getting rid of it .How lazy is that ? Even went to the trouble of getting stuff organised for a single sided front leading link with matching rim/wheel .


.


.
Yeah, I get a bit that way too.
__________________
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #70
snayle
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: yorke peninsula south australia
Oddometer: 217
Geez Clancy the tripod hasnt carried me yet

remember all breakdowns were on a k100 with between
500 and 1millionKs not to sure 'coz the speedo died in1988

The cucumber is all fixed and was an unknown beast when
we went to Strathmerton last year

bugger it you can all starve,I'll go to the OCR solo and gorge myself
on the crayfish I have bee storeing

I may not be there anyway if I cant get my blood preasure sorted out

snayle
snayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:20 PM   #71
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Clancy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Land of droughts, and flooding rains
Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by snayle
Geez Clancy the tripod hasnt carried me yet

remember all breakdowns were on a k100 with between
500 and 1millionKs not to sure 'coz the speedo died in1988

The cucumber is all fixed and was an unknown beast when
we went to Strathmerton last year

bugger it you can all starve,I'll go to the OCR solo and gorge myself
on the crayfish I have bee storeing

I may not be there anyway if I cant get my blood preasure sorted out

snayle
Shit mate Not good news about the blood pressure. Stay off the salt.

Maybe you need to ride on your own. Being with Alex might would enough to f#$% anybody's blood pressure
__________________
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #72
johno
Beastly Adventurer
 
johno's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Mount Gambier, South Australia, Australia.
Oddometer: 2,911
Clancy, rig coming along great

My only concern with what you have done, is the use of the heim joints for the swingarm pivot. Are they greasable? They wear out, and rattle real quick, so I wouldnt think that they would be the ideal thing for that application.
Just my thoughts, as I have seen plenty snap in truck bonnet pivot applications.

And Snayle, stop listening to these wankers, and your blood pressure will go down real quick
__________________
Down in the land of the confused(mainly me)
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:48 PM   #73
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars
 
3legs's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Adelaide,South Oz
Oddometer: 998
I heard that Neil!!!!!

Now get back to building your sidecar.

That's where I'm going right now. Back Later.

3legs
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #74
Bladeforger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bladeforger's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3legs
So there you have it. I was going to start on the chassis today but it's 41 degrees and 43 degrees the next 2 days. Too bloody hot to be in a shed. So I probably wont start until next weekend. At each stage I will take photo's.
Yeah, we been having temps down in the 40's here, too... damn cold. But I thought it was Summer down under?

Ahhhh, that's CENTIGRADE.
Okay, enough kiddin'. I'm going to be watching this one with interest. Thanks for all the pics. Subscribed!!
Keith
__________________
KLR650
DR350 (sold)
KLX250
"Obsolete doesn't mean a thing isn't any good--it just means they don't make it anymore" Von Dutch, May 1970
Bladeforger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #75
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Clancy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Land of droughts, and flooding rains
Oddometer: 5,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by johno
Clancy, rig coming along great

My only concern with what you have done, is the use of the heim joints for the swingarm pivot. Are they greasable? They wear out, and rattle real quick, so I wouldnt think that they would be the ideal thing for that application.
Just my thoughts, as I have seen plenty snap in truck bonnet pivot applications.

And Snayle, stop listening to these wankers, and your blood pressure will go down real quick

Thanks Johnno, and FR. Yeah, the heim joints are a bit of an unknown at this stage Coming from a motor sports background I wanted to try having adjustability in the suspension so thought I'd give it a try. Those joints are fairly large, good quality, and we give them a hell of a pounding on off road racecars and such. If I do get a failure on a trip somewhere, I'll be carrying spares to get me out of strife. If they turn into constant shit, it's not too great a hassle to come up with something better.


He's right Snayle Stop listening to us. Might make you feel better

How's it going Alex?????? Pics??????
__________________
And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,
And at night the wondrous glory of the everlasting stars.
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014