User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2010, 03:02 AM   #76
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

Oddometer: 1,091
I'm back.

Everything was going well until about 3.30pm when the missus calls out and said "how long before your'e ready" and I said "ready for what?"

The bloody birthday party you idiot. What bloody birthday party I said.

The 6 year old birthday party I told you about weeks ago she said.

F@#k forgot all about it. Ok give me ten minutes. I didn't have the guts to tell her I'd already had a few sherbets in the shed whilst working on the chair. This will be interesting.

Did my best to hide the Alcohol breath. Quick shower and we are on our way. Thankfully the party was at the sister-in-laws place which was only 4 houses away.

So I didn't really get a lot done. See the photo below. The amount of cans in the photo is not quite true. There were a few ring in's.

Well I get to the party and guess what.....free beer for the oldies. Woohoo. Better have one or three with the brother-in-laws (my wife is the youngest of 5 sisters so there were a few rounds). After a few more and the entertainment for the kids arrive.

This next photo is proof that alcohol and kids birthday parties dont mix.

Not a pretty sight. My best impression of KISS (which failed miserably).

Anyway hopefully more tomorrow.

3legs.
3legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:36 AM   #77
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,762
Fuck man That's scary Lucky I already had dinner
Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #78
Shmerel

Oddometer: 11,152
nice one alex.

beautiful work boys. neil's hack is my testing machine, we'll iron out all the bugs there and then build a real good'un
Shmerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #79
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

G'day

Got a fair bit done today. I now have the basic shape done. The battery compartment has been started. Still a long way to go but should have the frame finished next weekend.

Glad you can't see my welds. I really suck at welding. They're not pretty but they do hold.

Today I did the perfect weld. It was the best weld I have ever done. It was a thing of beauty. Looked like a professional had done it..............then I had to grind it flat to put another piece of tubing over it. I should have taken a photo.

Anyway here's a photo of todays work.

It's going to be a long night tonight. I have 3 girls under 10 having a sleep over with my daughter so I can see I will be up 1/2 the night.

Until next weekend.

3legs
Old 01-17-2010, 01:03 AM   #80
Clancy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3legs
G'day

Got a fair bit done today. I now have the basic shape done. The battery compartment has been started. Still a long way to go but should have the frame finished next weekend.

Glad you can't see my welds. I really suck at welding. They're not pretty but they do hold.

Today I did the perfect weld. It was the best weld I have ever done. It was a thing of beauty. Looked like a professional had done it..............then I had to grind it flat to put another piece of tubing over it. I should have taken a photo.

Anyway here's a photo of todays work.

It's going to be a long night tonight. I have 3 girls under 10 having a sleep over with my daughter so I can see I will be up 1/2 the night.

Until next weekend.

3legs

Looking good Alex
Old 01-17-2010, 07:02 AM   #81
Bladeforger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Cool2

Quote:
G'day

From a long distance away, it looks like you're using 6013 rod, which is kinda forgiving on half-inch to one-inch square tubing in that it won't burn through at the slightest provocation. Still it penetrates well. Its downside is that it bubbles up this protective coccoon of liquid flux that totally covers up the molten pool of weld that we're supposed to be looking at.

So, being a somewhat-talented-amateur myself, I can tell you what helped me. If I'm using 6013 it's a tiny rod anyway--because otherwise I'd use 6011. I'm using DC. Stick the rod down in the corner / gap, make sparks, and when the flux coccoon builds up (half a second) push down and gogogogo. In other words, when I can't see the spark gap any more, I assume it's going to create itself and just feed in the rod. THEN, I always use a cupped wire brush on an angle grinder for cleanup to get the flux off. Then, if it's a terribly ugly bead I grind that sucker down a little and put another bead on top. If it's about right, I grind it enough to be sure and to cut off that ugly round crown. Made my welds stronger and better. Professionals probably do it differently.

OH! And if you aren't using an auto-darkening lens, then you're really making it hard on yourself. Those have come down in price to where they are under $100 and are worth every penny. Also, I saw your 2-battery welder, and saw it in action on one of McCardigan's posts--without any lens being used at all, just glasses. You could have an auto-darkening lens in a small oxy-acetylene goggle and put on a balaclava or something and be much better off than what I saw in the photo... One set of eyes per customer is still the rule. Burn 'em up and you gotta learn Braille.

Some guy told me once that the way to become a proficient welder was to weld a mile. I ain't through the first quarter mile yet, so this is just what works for me. Take it with a grain of salt, but give it a try if you're inclined.

Stay cool! I'm enjoying the build and having fun seeing the Aussie hacks. We have a lot to learn from y'all.

Keith
"Obsolete doesn't mean a thing isn't any good--it just means they don't make it anymore" Von Dutch, May 1970
Bladeforger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #82
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,561
Quote:
G'day

3legs
Hey 3legs there's no harm in adding a gusset here or there if any welds are questionable. You may even be able to make a mounting tab for something and a gusset out of the same piece.
Looks cool. Keep pics coming.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #83
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

G'day

Thanks for the tips Keith. Will give it a go this weekend. I'm using 2.5 mm rods. I thinks thats the correct sizing. If I'm wrong I'll correct myself later. Maybe I've been using the wrong rods. I have to admit that the grinder does get a workout sometimes

Sometimes I get the welding near perfect but I just can't seem to get the hang of welding up or down. As I said before my welds are definately not pretty but they do hold plus after powder coating them no one notices anyway

The battery welder kit has an old welding helmet glass that you need to hold while welding. It's compact and hopefully I will never need to use it.

Your'e right Claude. I will be placing some gussets to to be safe.

3legs
Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #84
Shmerel

Wink

Hey Alex, I was over at Clancy's today. Checked out his WIP (work in progress). Nothing for you to worry about, you're waaay ahead .... Clancy's busy nursing to his zucchinis and tomatoes in his veggie patch out back . And last I saw, he was wearing his gussets .

Hiya Neil

Shmerel screwed with this post 01-18-2010 at 12:57 AM
Old 01-17-2010, 11:47 PM   #85
Shmerel

Laugh

I guess this means I won't be getting a sidecar now ....
Old 01-18-2010, 12:18 AM   #86
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

You really enjoy living dangerously dont' you Gad.

3legs
Old 01-18-2010, 02:10 AM   #87
Shmerel

Quote:
You really enjoy living dangerously dont' you Gad.

3legs
clancy's just told me that he's cut my chassis!

Old 01-18-2010, 04:02 AM   #88
KatoomDownUnder
Safer off a horse than on

Oddometer: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmerel
clancy's just told me that he's cut my chassis!

What .....................in half
Looks like you'll be lucky to end up with a trailer Gad
And don't pick on growers of veges eh!!! My tomatoes went nuts and the bloody capsicums are going great guns The problem with tomato plants that reach 7 ft is that your average nosy bastard next door is likely to thing your growing something else
Now to somehow convince the minister of war that I need an outfit based on my 990
am fearann caillte
dan tug na seo\id ud gra\dh,
a sheas an aghaidh
feachd uailleil Iomhair
's a ruaig e dhachaigh
air chaochladh smaoin

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
KatoomDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #89
Bladeforger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Laugh

Quote:
G'day

Thanks for the tips Keith. Will give it a go this weekend. I'm using 2.5 mm rods. I thinks thats the correct sizing. If I'm wrong I'll correct myself later. Maybe I've been using the wrong rods. I have to admit that the grinder does get a workout sometimes
That converts out to about our 3/32 size rod. That'll work fine on 1" square tubing; HOWEVER, you can also use 1/8 on that... if ya move fast. I have 3/32 in both 6013 and 6011. The 6013 is the stuff that bubbles up a flux coating that obscures visibility. I'd use the 6011 if I were you and could find it.

Now 6011 is the stuff sometimes called "junk rod" because you can weld the damndest dirty stuff with it and still get a good weld. It's very easy to use if you watch the puddle. The downside, for some, is that you have to have a pattern. The pattern can be kind of a dipping and retreating like an oxyacetylene torch or a zigzag back and forth to build up a larger (or flatter and wider) bead or a small circle motion if you're filling in a 90 degree angle (((or even a figure 8 going sideways))). Any of those patterns will give you the typical "alligator back" look of a 6011 weld. Some folks don't like the pattern of ridges, but I think it's downright pretty.

Welding with 6011 is not as easy as, say, 7018 where you just spark and lay the rod down and run. Still, and I think it's because I learned to weld with a torch and did a lot of that before I could spring for an arc welder, the 6011 is just as easy for me as 7018--in fact, 6011 is my all-time-favorite rod. I'll pick it up anytime it'll work to do the job.

6011 will work DCEP or AC. I prefer DCEP. 6013 will work DCEP or DCEN. That's DC and electrode positive or electrode negative. If I'm remembering right, DCEN gives more penetration (and will burn through thinner material more quickly) on the 6013.

I say all that because the weld beads indicate that you might be using 6013. If you are, try some 6011. After you play with it for an hour or two, you'll probably like it. Play with it on some scrap, please, if you haven't used it before. Give yourself a good hour, or about 2-4 feet of short beads first. If you're going to like it, you'll know pretty soon.

6013 is a bitch (for me!!) to weld up or down--it likes sideways and flat. That's because the flux runs like crazy. Still you can do it by "burying the rod". 6013 going up with a weave / zig zag gives a stronger weld than going down. 6011 takes some effort to weld up or down, but it's a lot less effort for me than with 6013. I like to go down with 6011 with the rod leaned a little tighter than 45 degrees--maybe about 35-40 degrees. I'll zig zag down with it.

Any way you weld with 6013, if the flux gets out in front of the weld, then you're hosed. Stop. Grind. Weld again. If you try to continue with flux out in front of where you're going, the weld will be AWFUL! Been there; done that; saw the book; bought the movie; read the t-shirt. Ground off a bunch of welds learning that lesson.

I still buy and use 6013 only because it's so forgiving with thinner steel. If the steel's thick enough for 6011, that's what I use. Period. I love 6011.

Oh, the other nice thing about 6013 is that you can weld your name on something with it--like a trailer tongue. It tells a thief that they better not even try to steal it. Works for numbers on a mail box, too. Made one of those for my parents out of giant-size scrap square tubing when they got theirs bashed with a baseball bat. After they died, and the house was sold, I salvaged the mailbox and still have it--with their old address welded on the side. If anyone had hit that one with a bat their arms would still be vibrating.

Warning: 6011 will flat blow a hole in steel if you dick around with it going too slow. And 1/8 rod on the tubing you're using will burn through in the blink of an eye. 3/32 is about right. By the way, you ever need a hole for wiring, a 1/8 6011 will burn a hole that is smooth and neat in, for instance, 2" square tubing. The melted hole won't scrape the wires. You just strike the arc and hold the rod straight up 90 degrees and burn baby burn. In 2-5 seconds you have a hole. I've never tried that process on 1/4 inch steel, but I think it'd work with a 3/16 rod.

Hope some of this helps you. It's my experience, and as I said before, I'm just a talented amateur--NOT a professional. You'll need to convert all my 16ths and 32nds back to metric for what you are buying in Oz, of course. I didn't convert because I'd mess it up for sure.

Keith
"Obsolete doesn't mean a thing isn't any good--it just means they don't make it anymore" Von Dutch, May 1970
Bladeforger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #90
3legs OP
Real men ride sidecars

Bloody hell Keith you lost me at "that converts". Nah just kidding. Lots of info to digest but I will do some research on the net and see if 6011 is known as something else here and try and get some and give it a go.
Can't hurt to try. There's always the grinder.

I've just been out to the shed and placed all the big gear in the frame and it fits like a glove. In fact I will probably have more room than I thought.

Later

3legs