User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
spawn350 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
DFW - torn on 2 totally different motorcycles - ADV and Naked

Hello All - I sold my bike (VFR1200) when I moved to TX a couple years ago from Bay Area CA. I got the itch again, and I am looking at either an ADV bike (Triumph Tiger 800XC) or a Naked (Ducati Streetfighter 848).

I have never had a real adventure bike before, but the idea sounds like a lot of fun. I had a Tuono and a FZ1 and loved those bikes. I'd only get the ADV bike to actually ride rough or dirt roads or even light trails.I love the idea of it, but before pulling the trigger I want to hear from others on whether they actually use their ADV bikes for the intended purposes. I definitely won't be doing any rides longer than 8 hours or so, and those would be very rare. More in the 1-4 hour range.

Questions:

1. How much do folks with ADV bikes actually take them on dirt or rough roads when coming from street bikes? Any folks wish they hadn't gotten an ADV because they never use them for the intended purpose?

2. Are there any roads worth exploring within 30-60 min of Frisco? I'm not willing to ride 3 hours just to finally get to where I want to ride. I have been searching all over with mixed findings.

3. Should I just get the Streetfighter and a used KLR650?

Thanks in advance!
spawn350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
maximus_flavius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Welcome to Texas.

1). Hard to say, but I hear of a good many people who go from riding street to riding dirt roads. I personally know more people who have (or had) street bikes that wish they had gotten an ADV bike.

2). There probably aint many roads that close to Frisco. But up around the Red River, there should be some great roads. They may be 2 hrs away. Also, about 2 hrs west, you get into some dirt roads also. To really maximize your time, you might consider camping off the bike.

3). I'd get the higher end ADV bike, & a less expensive street bike. You can get some nice naked bikes for +\- $6,000. Real nice used ADV bikes $10,000 (like a Tiger 800).
maximus_flavius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
ArkieRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Its really nice to not have to turn around when the road turns to gravel / dirt. Opens up a whole new world of exploring on the bike. I come from a dirt bike background and really enjoy the dirt though.
ArkieRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
JasonH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I don't think there's a lot of dirt roads around here that would require a dual sport bike. How about the new Ducati Scrambler? That one that comes with the lower bars and the Termi pipes would be tits for dirt roads around here.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
i'd get the 2 bikes...or you'll always wish you had.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
Rothkiln
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I seem to want a different bike almost every month... This month it's an FJ-09, last month it was an F800GS, the month before it was an FZ-6, before that a Street Triple....... I've decided to just stick with my DR650 for now and wait until I can actually make up my mind
Rothkiln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:13 AM   #7
btweaver13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
To the OP: if your off-road experience is little to none, a light(er) weight bike that can handle a fall might be your best bet. Because you're going to drop the bike, and it's easier to pick up & dust off a Japanese DS (DR, XR, and KLR) than a European model. You want your falls to generate an "Oh, well" response verses an "Ah, s**t"!
btweaver13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:25 PM   #8
Jetdr21
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by btweaver13 View Post
To the OP: if your off-road experience is little to none, a light(er) weight bike that can handle a fall might be your best bet. Because you're going to drop the bike, and it's easier to pick up & dust off a Japanese DS (DR, XR, and KLR) than a European model. You want your falls to generate an "Oh, well" response verses an "Ah, s**t"!
AMEN on that one.....
Jetdr21 is offline   Reply With Quote