User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2015, 03:29 AM   #1
narf_44 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Expat Adventure through Papua New Guinea

I moved to the highlands of Papua New Guinea as a missionary pilot a few months ago and anything dirtbike is pretty much my fun life. I'll try to keep this thread updated as I do more day trips. PNG is much different than the USA. Everywhere there is a road, it's pretty much residential. This means dogs or pigs running out in front of you at any given moment, or a teenager picking up a rock and acting like their are going to throw it at you as you ride by Everywhere you go riding, in the local's eyes, your riding on "their" property. So, despite the amazing beautiful mountains and gorgeous tropical paradise around every turn, it has it's hiccups. 99% of the people are the most friendly people you'll come across, there are just a few out there that don't like (in their eyes...rich white boy riding on a motorcycle) when in reality that's not the case at all.
My bike, dual sport 2006 CRF 450x
Today's ride was a short one, only 12 miles. 6 of that 12 was on pavement and the other 6 on a two track beat up rutted out road.

At the end of the ride I had to very slowly ride across a metal swinging bridge about 3' wide. The first 1/2 was fine until the local kids came running and bouncing in excitement behind me on the bridge.

Want to see more pics or info on my bike?? My Build Thread

narf_44 screwed with this post 02-04-2015 at 02:05 PM
narf_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
B10Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Looking forward to more of this. Ride safe....Dave

2007 F650GS 1978 KZ400C1 1972 XL250
B10Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:11 PM   #3
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,441
What a cool and super interesting place to be, I look forward to lots of photos!
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #4
Degerk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Png

Very cool, my wife and 4 kids and I were there years ago visiting missionaries. We spent time in Port Morseby, Goroka and Kundiawa in the highland. We had a great time with a great bunch of people. At that time we were pretty much the only white people in the area and thus we were always the centre of attention wherever we went. We have some friends who have been in Wusuraambya with New Tribe Missions for many years.

Looking forward to more reports. The picture of the people bring back some fond memories.

DaveW
London, Ontario Canada
Degerk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
dickensheets
smprparatus

Oddometer: 289
They are pissed be cuz it IS their property, you ARE are rich white dude, and just for good measure you decide to drive across their foot bridge while selling tickets to heaven.

Just saying

Rd
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
Harleytoo
Intrepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensheets View Post
They are pissed be cuz it IS their property, you ARE are rich white dude, and just for good measure you decide to drive across their foot bridge while selling tickets to heaven.

Just saying

Rd
dickensheets, I like your forum name .. seems quite appropriate...

NARF keep at it bro, through the rocks that get hurled (physically or metaphorically).
'05 Harley Road King Custom
'13 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Harleytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:22 PM   #7
dickensheets
smprparatus

Well played sir.

I probably was insensitive. I've never done missionary work. I apologise. Just don't fully get it.

I just wish you guys would send more folks to the middle east and convert THEM!!

I mean that is where we need you. The jungles of PNG aren't exactly a problem. Are they?

Heathens are heathens correct? Why mess with the peaceful ones?

Just an outsiders question, Ryan Dickensheets

It's my actual name. Full disclosure.

dickensheets screwed with this post 01-22-2015 at 03:30 PM
Old 01-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
Harleytoo
Intrepid Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
You make a fair point, and there are quite a few in those fields.

Each of us gets called to our own. Mine tends to be the highways and byways of the US but I have a lot of respect for those who can and do venture out. Course mine is a vocation not an occupation (I have to have a day job ).

I think anytime you show up as a presence then you are doing good. Does not necessarily have to be a conversion experience, although those are nice.

TBH, I think anytime a biker gets a chance to ride through any developing country they are looked at with with a critical eye. No matter what your mission is. However, my experience is that most bikers try very hard to bring the hand of friendship when they travel, regardless of their belief system.

That is the great thing about bikers, we are typically a likable lot and we are always willing to lend a hand.

And yes, as I told another biker recently, I just have to chose on Sunday whether to spend my time with the heathens at the places I ride or with the heathens I go to church with.
'05 Harley Road King Custom
'13 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Harleytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 04:17 AM   #9
narf_44 OP
Adventurer

I'm here to post pics of my rides, not get in an argument of whether or not you might agree with missions or not. Today's ride was a 25 mile loop still here in the Eastern highlands just south of Goroka. I road about 8 miles down a dirt road to find that the bridge had been washed away about 6 months ago. Thankfully a local guy was there and he offered to help lower my bike down a five foot embankment and then drag it up the other side. With in a few mins kids were coming out of the wood work to help. All said and done I paid a few of the guys a couple kina each for their help and made some friends next time around.
[/url]
online photo storage

screen shot

windows 7 screen shot
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2015, 02:42 PM   #10
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,441
Keep posting those photos white devil (according to dickinsheets)

I find that area very interesting, thanks for the look into a place most of us will never get to see.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #11
dickensheets
smprparatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
Keep posting those photos white devil (according to dickinsheets)

I find that area very interesting, thanks for the look into a place most of us will never get to see.
I've had 2 days before I checked this post again.

I came off as a jerk me thinks.

Sorry about that.

The pics and adventure you are posting is what this site is all about. My interlude was not necessary. I kinda regret being that guy.

This is a big world with lots of viewpoints. All are welcome.

OK enough bullshit: what are you flying? C180, Caravan, PC6, C207?

I'm a CRJ200/700/900 driver fulltime. A few others as you will surely understand. 14,000hrs of noise and confusion. A few hours of panic and a few hours of pure bliss.

I want to see some bush flying pics. Others here will not really appreciate your uphill offcamber elephant grass rollout. But I will.

RD

Ps - if you have not read "Lost in Shangrilla", you must. WW2 aviation crash in the central valley of PNG.

dickensheets screwed with this post 01-24-2015 at 06:17 PM
Old 01-24-2015, 08:58 PM   #12
LosAlrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
"A few hours of panic... "- Dickensheets
You are doing a LOT of something wrong.
However, it takes a big man to offer a sincere apology. You get karma for that.

NARF 44-nice thread. Please continue to share.

LosAlrider screwed with this post 01-24-2015 at 09:04 PM
LosAlrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:27 AM   #13
narf_44 OP
Adventurer

Currently we fly Cessna 206. I start language school this week and after 4 or so months I hope to start getting trained on the Kodiak.

Some videos I've put together. I am working on making some riding videos here in PNG so people can see how cool this place is.

https://www.youtube.com/user/NTMApil...view_as=public

free image uploading

A pic from my training in Arizona a few years ago.

photo uploading

9500' MSL in the chiricahua mountains Arizona

gifs upload

narf_44 screwed with this post 01-25-2015 at 04:43 AM
Old 01-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #14
dickensheets
smprparatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by narf_44 View Post
Currently we fly Cessna 206. I start language school this week and after 4 or so months I hope to start getting trained on the Kodiak.

Some videos I've put together. I am working on making some riding videos here in PNG so people can see how cool this place is.

https://www.youtube.com/user/NTMApil...view_as=public

free image uploading

A pic from my training in Arizona a few years ago.

photo uploading

9500' MSL in the chiricahua mountains Arizona

gifs upload
The C206 is a fine ship. It is still being produced. Unlike many other Cessna models.

Yours has a bellypod I think, no experience with that cofiguration.

I have about 500hrs in one via skydiving ops. (gravity powered body bombs, air cooled).

Never heard of a Kodiak, I will google.

Ryan

Ok I'm back. Please be careful. Looks like you can fall out of it.

The PT6 is a wonderful motor. You will fall in love immediately. If the shiiittt ever hits the fan for you via fuel supply, these motors can run 100ll and even MOGAS for a short while. Not recommended of course but just so you know. Get outa Dodge situation.....

dickensheets screwed with this post 01-25-2015 at 06:29 PM
Old 01-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #15
Sprout640
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Hay Wantok!

Its great to see your thread! I was born and grew up in PNG in the Enga Province and Lae. I cut my cycling teeth on a little Honda 50 and an RM 100 and still have great friends working there. In fact my parents flew in country about 3 weeks ago into Wabag (enga province) to work at the international school at Amapayaka for a year. They have spent their lives giving to the people of PNG.

Property in PNG is a confusing issue... A good friend of mine owns and operates Mapai Transport in PNG. Its one of the main transport companies there and the only one owned by a National. At one time they had over 120 big rigs (Kenworths) running to the southern highlands and Porgera with supplies, fuel, etc... They were constantly talking with the locals about compensation to travel the roads. I remember a trip I took with him from Lae to Porgera. (about 500 miles.. it took three days) He started off the trip with 5000 Kina ($3300 US dollars) in 100 Kina notes in his pocket. By the end of the trip he had "paid" his contacts and representatives in every village the length of the highlands highway as they helped keep the peace between his company and the villages... its a litte crazy, and not western by any means, but its PNG. This is a small example of what happens when you try to operate with western financial structures of ownership and property in a friend and relationship oriented "Wantok" culture where shareing is the norm and expected. The traditional PNG cultures operate on a family and village mentality where recourses are all shared. When joe earns a pay check now by working at a store in a local town what is he supposed to do with the pay check ... the village expects he will share what he has...

Its truly very difficult to know where the lines are.

Anyway. sorry for the rant. I love PNG its still my "home" in many ways though I left when I was 15.

Ive spent many hours in MAF planes out there. Very exciting rides.

I love the pics!

If you ever make it to wapenamunda, they just opened up the old air strip there and Air Nuiguini is flying in there regularly last I heard... look up Anton Lutz and his mom. they are missionaries at Mambisanda hospital just three miles from there. Anton built an airstrip in the Heywa a number of years back opening the region up for medical and educational help. Oh... you can say hi to my parents as well they are Todd and Jan Luedtke at Amayapakaya.

We have an MAF center here in Nampa Idaho and my father in law volunteers there three days a week in the machine shop. He spent 30 years in the National Guard as a crew chief for Apache helicopters and loves the work MAF does. They were building rigging the other day to crate some Cessnas for transport. Crazy cool stuff they do.

blessings!

andy

Sprout640 screwed with this post 01-29-2015 at 10:18 AM
Sprout640 is offline   Reply With Quote