User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #1516
BitesTheDust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Thanks Kamchat,

I spent much of the last week looking through each page and thoroughly enjoyed your pictures and commentary.

During 80's I spent about 5 years traveling through Aberdeen out to the oil rigs. Although I lived in England then - I managed quite a few visits across into Scotland (from Edinburgh to Glasgow) sightseeing. Beautiful part of the world.

I am subscribed to your thread and will follow with great interest.
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #1517
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitesTheDust View Post
Thanks Kamchat,

I spent much of the last week looking through each page and thoroughly enjoyed your pictures and commentary.

During 80's I spent about 5 years traveling through Aberdeen out to the oil rigs. Although I lived in England then - I managed quite a few visits across into Scotland (from Edinburgh to Glasgow) sightseeing. Beautiful part of the world.

I am subscribed to your thread and will follow with great interest.

'Welcome aboard' the thread .... I'm pleased that you have enjoyed it - & thanks for taking the time to let me know. Although, as mentioned previously, it will probably be a bit slower over the winter months. (You don't need me to tell you what Scottish winters are like - cold, wet & miserable ).
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #1518
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Few more from the weekend ....

From Saturday - Pinwherry Castle ruins in the autumn late afternoon sunlight .....

Sunday's ride ..... you can make out the fog ahead in the trees .....

Lix Toll ..... heading south to Strathyre ....

Got to get back before the sun goes down ....Glen Ogle.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:33 AM   #1519
ullukk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Woke up this morning after a decent nights kip aided by dreaming of days in the saddle up bonnie scotland, time to catch up on the last month or so of this excellent thread quickly came to mind, it never ever fails to disapoint me mate, it'll be probably be easter time next year before i'm back up north on two wheels but if weather aint too bad over christmas period might get up forra few days in car, hope the winter is a lot kinder to you than it was last year mate, it was bad enough in yorkshire. i got my written off fazer back from insurance this week so its time for me to get my bag of spanners out and set to work on it, i'm no mechanic but i'm fairly sure i can have it back on the road at little cost, hopefully!

Keep up the great work mate, its well appreciated in this house.

Keith.
ullukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:50 AM   #1520
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullukk View Post
Woke up this morning after a decent nights kip aided by dreaming of days in the saddle up bonnie scotland, time to catch up on the last month or so of this excellent thread quickly came to mind, it never ever fails to disapoint me mate, it'll be probably be easter time next year before i'm back up north on two wheels but if weather aint too bad over christmas period might get up forra few days in car, hope the winter is a lot kinder to you than it was last year mate, it was bad enough in yorkshire. i got my written off fazer back from insurance this week so its time for me to get my bag of spanners out and set to work on it, i'm no mechanic but i'm fairly sure i can have it back on the road at little cost, hopefully!

Keep up the great work mate, its well appreciated in this house.

Keith.

Cheers mate .... hope you can come for a ride when you make it back up here. As for winter - the weather so far has been great for this time of year, mild and 14 C yesterday! We normally 'call it a day' for rideouts at the end of October ..but we managed another ride yesterday ...in mid November, that's the latest we have ever had an organised rideout. Let's hope it's a sign of a really mild winter to come.

This was sunny Oban yesterday lunchtime -

.7 bikes out for the day ...

leaving Glasgow ...... traffic light GP? .....

Old 11-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #1521
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yesterday ....

group discussion whilst we waited for Patrick to fill up at the bottom of the Stockiemuir ...

Although we encountered no rain, the roads were damp for the run up to Tyndrum ......

Patrick on his Mille..

In Callander (still grey and damp)..

But by the time we got to Tyndrum ..... dry roads ... 'play time'.....

Old 11-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #1522
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yesterday's run continued ...

Parking up in an unseasonably 'balmy' Oban..

After fish n chips 'al fresco' it was time to mount up and do it all again - in reverse .....

Patrick...

Old 11-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #1523
fraser2312
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Parking up in an unseasonably 'balmy' Oban..

What you can't see in that photo is how that parking bay slopes slightly towards the sea, once made the mistake of parking my bike head on and didn't have the strength to push my bike backwards, everyone was watching me try to get out until someone kindly offered assistance. What an embarrassment .
fraser2312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:05 PM   #1524
Guccikins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Pissed Just Awesome!

Hola

I have been following the thread for a while. It's awesome. I'd love to join you on a rideout sometime if thats ok, just send me a pm or email and let me know the score.

Hope you keep the thread going and you continue to have great rideouts. Fingers crossed for more mild weather her in Scotland.

Take care

Gucci
Guccikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:58 AM   #1525
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser2312 View Post

What you can't see in that photo is how that parking bay slopes slightly towards the sea, once made the mistake of parking my bike head on and didn't have the strength to push my bike backwards, everyone was watching me try to get out until someone kindly offered assistance. What an embarrassment .

Lol! It's surprising how even a mild incline can make paddling a bike backwards difficult at times .... it would help to have a reverse gear like on a Goldwing (mind you with something the size of a 'Wing' you probably need a reverse to push it backwards on the flat too! )... Here's our late friend Tommy being a gent and helping Sarah paddle backwards on the mild incline at GlenCoe garage a couple of years ago.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #1526
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guccikins View Post
Hola

I have been following the thread for a while. It's awesome. I'd love to join you on a rideout sometime if thats ok, just send me a pm or email and let me know the score.

Hope you keep the thread going and you continue to have great rideouts. Fingers crossed for more mild weather her in Scotland.

Take care

Gucci

Hi Gucci .... Thanks for the 'thumbs up' on the thread ..... of course you are welcome to join us for a rideout. Unfortunately our season is probably now done for this year (we would normally finish around the end of October and I can't see us getting out again now unless it was just for a shorter run ). However, it will all kick off again in the spring (tends to be around mid March with proper 'all day' rideouts from April) why not join us then one Sunday ..... and if you like it come along for runs on a regular basis. I see you are in Boness which is only about 30 miles from were we meet up for Sunday rideouts in Anniesland, Glasgow.

I will send you a pm today....
Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 AM   #1527
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Couple more from Sunday .... unfortunately I didn't take many pics on the way back from Oban ....the pace was 'enthusiastic' and I put the camera away so I could fully participate with both hands on the bars. What a great ride that A85 is! ...... but in the brief lull afforded by the odd '40 mph zone' I managed to grab a couple of shots ...

Old 11-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #1528
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,520
Well, I am back on two wheels well suited for the road.

I did get in one ride while waiting to get the new bike, but a 160 mile loop on a KTM 520 is not recommended. The pictures did help to relieve the pain.

Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 AM   #1529
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad View Post
Well, I am back on two wheels well suited for the road.

Good to see you managed to sort out a replacement ride quickly. Nice bike! Was the Buell a 'write off'? ...and how does the 990 compare?
Old 11-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #1530
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,520
Yeah, the Buell was totalled.

The 990 is one hell of a bike. The Uly was better for paved roads by a wee bit, and significantly better for comfort. The KTM is far superior to the Uly when the pavement ends. Considering how I like to ride, the improved dirt capabilities easily outweigh the comfort issues. The difference in paved road performance is not big enough to be of any concern.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is online now   Reply With Quote