Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 08:26 PM   #151
sraber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Nice! Thanks for posting these fabulous pics!
sraber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #152
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,685
[quote=AllBlackPearl]Makes sense!
One thing you've got to have if you do photos that way is a bunch of fellows you absolutely trust. Riding in between the other bikes at full speed with only one hand (shame on you, bad boy!) - the others have to know that and react according to it. But from what I can see you have good company on your ride-outs. Seems like a really cool group.
Have you ever been to Switzerland & the Alps? If not (or if yes, you can't be here too often) - I wanna see those bikes parked at my place!
We got a bunch of pretty amazing roads and loads of even more amazing scenery in the neighbourhood..

Anyways, we have to get a camera like this (the Nikon is just too big for these purposes) and then we will hopefully be able to shoot some nice pics as well. Advantage in our case: My beloved live navigation system is riding with me, reading the map on my back - so why not taking photos as well. We gotta try this.

Thanks again for the thread, makes my day!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks .. I'm really pleased that you like the pics so much. I do ride with folk that have ridden with me for years but also with some folk that I have only just met..I don't expect them to make allowances for me riding one handed - it is my responsibility to not 'screw up' and get in anyone's way ..and so far it has worked well ... as long as the speed is not too far into 'triple digits' I find I can now ride as well with one hand as with two.

No, I haven't been to the Alps, but know from friends who have that it is pretty amazing ..so I must get over there before too long. It is on my list of places still to go. I have ridden in mainland europe several times including trips to the south of France, Andorra and Spain. My last trip was when a group of us rode down to Barcelona to watch the MotoGP... few pics from the ride :-

French Motorway toll.. the motorways are boring - but it's a quick way to move if you have many miles to cover in a short time.

The mountain roads through Andorra are amazing

Many of the small French towns and villages are stunning ...

I have a shedload of pics from our trip which I might try and put on a new thread sometime (don't want to mix things up too much on this thread which is about riding in Scotland ).

If I do get over to the Alps ..yes, I will get in touch and look you up if we are in the area. Thanks for the kind offer.
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #153
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank likes to ride
Thanks for more killer pictures off the egg run! My hats off to you guys. Great to see so many motorcyclists getting together for a great cause.

We have charity runs like that here, but they are much smaller.

Blows me away, the quality of photos you get from a Canon powershot. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers!

Thanks again Frank ... The Canon really is a great wee camera ... if these pics are any good it is down to the camera rather than myself ... I just tend to leave it on 'auto' setting and 'click' away.

Last pic on here from our trip touring across France
Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #154
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraber
Nice! Thanks for posting these fabulous pics!

Thanks for the kind comment.

Back in Glasgow ...Sarah and the bikes on Great Western Road (outside Ducati Glasgow)
Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #155
rckt grl
Sportbike Addict

Oddometer: 81
From one Gixxer girl to another.... Hi Sarah!

Would love to ride with you all sometime! If I ever get to that part of the world, I will look you up!

rckt grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #156
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckt grl
From one Gixxer girl to another.... Hi Sarah!

Would love to ride with you all sometime! If I ever get to that part of the world, I will look you up!

'Gixxergirls' rock!.... Sarah says 'Hi' back ... pics look great .. You would be most welcome on our rideouts anytime. Looks like you would be 'right at home' on the twisty roads over here.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #157
Bratso
A Heluva Sack o' Potatoes

Oddometer: 174
Great write up, great pics, plus the Monty Python castle !!!

Ride Safe !!!!

Bratso

Follow. But. Follow only if ye be men of valour, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.
Bratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:10 AM   #158
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratso
Great write up, great pics, plus the Monty Python castle !!!

Ride Safe !!!!

Bratso

Lol! Thanks ... glad you liked the pics

There is a bike in this one ...but you may have to look ..

Old 01-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #159
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat

Thanks .. I'm really pleased that you like the pics so much. I do ride with folk that have ridden with me for years but also with some folk that I have only just met..I don't expect them to make allowances for me riding one handed - it is my responsibility to not 'screw up' and get in anyone's way ..and so far it has worked well ... as long as the speed is not too far into 'triple digits' I find I can now ride as well with one hand as with two.

No, I haven't been to the Alps, but know from friends who have that it is pretty amazing ..so I must get over there before too long. It is on my list of places still to go. I have ridden in mainland europe several times including trips to the south of France, Andorra and Spain. My last trip was when a group of us rode down to Barcelona to watch the MotoGP... few pics from the ride :-

French Motorway toll.. the motorways are boring - but it's a quick way to move if you have many miles to cover in a short time.

The mountain roads through Andorra are amazing

If I do get over to the Alps ..yes, I will get in touch and look you up if we are in the area. Thanks for the kind offer.
Heya!
I really hope that picture above is not from Andorra... terribly wrong side of the road.
Yep, you should definitely come to the Alps. You will not regret.
As I said - we are planning on riding Scotland & Wales this summer. We will try to get a cam like yours before, so we can take some cool pics (maybe you guys will be on some, I'd like that! )
Tanks again for sharing the pics and making the snow melt!
Cheers.

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #160
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl
Heya!
I really hope that picture above is not from Andorra... terribly wrong side of the road.
Yep, you should definitely come to the Alps. You will not regret.
As I said - we are planning on riding Scotland & Wales this summer. We will try to get a cam like yours before, so we can take some cool pics (maybe you guys will be on some, I'd like that! )
Tanks again for sharing the pics and making the snow melt!
Cheers.
Lol! Yes it is Andorra ..just using all the road coming out from a left hand bend.
If you are coming anywhere near Glasgow on your trip ..let me know ..and try to come out on one of our Sunday rideouts with the group... you will have a 'blast' ..and we can show you some awesome roads.

Kamchat screwed with this post 01-23-2010 at 04:16 PM
Old 01-23-2010, 04:14 PM   #161
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat
Thanks again Frank ... The Canon really is a great wee camera ... if these pics are any good it is down to the camera rather than myself ... I just tend to leave it on 'auto' setting and 'click' away.
I too have a Canon IS point and shoot, and I can testify, it ain't the tool. My pics don't look like Kam's.

Great shots, great roads, great craic. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #162
Vince
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Great thread,nice way to get through a wet Sunday in a wet Summer in Sydney,43C yesterday and drisling rain today,we need more Sunny Scotish weather here for riding,a few more castles and locks to ride by would be nice to
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #163
Phogman
Lurking since 2004

Oddometer: 132
I knew before now that Scotland had some great scenery. But, until I saw this thread, I had no idea that it was that beautiful. Stunning scenery, awesome roads.

This is made clear to me because of the breathtaking photos. Some of the best photography on this site (and that is saying a lot). You have a gift.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #164
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l
I too have a Canon IS point and shoot, and I can testify, it ain't the tool. My pics don't look like Kam's.

Great shots, great roads, great craic. Thanks for sharing.
Well, Kam definitely has an eye for the right motif and he seems to hit the button at the right time quite often!
But the quality of the pictures still is amamzing apart from this gift he's got. the sharpness is incredible and the exposure is just superb. don't know if he would be able to adjust that while riding..
We are actually thinking about buying a cam like that - something that produces great pictures without a lot of work and thinking. Would you recommend the Powershots or not?
Thanks!

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #165
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl
We are actually thinking about buying a cam like that - something that produces great pictures without a lot of work and thinking. Would you recommend the Powershots or not?
Thanks!
I have a Canon A570 IS, and it has been the best digital camera I ever had. The user interface is intuitive, unlike many other brands. Image stabilization really helps. After having a Nikon with a specialized and expensive battery, I decided AA battery powered cameras are the only way to go. Cheap and easy to carry a pair of spare AA rechargeables, and I can always use lithium or alkaline in a pinch.

I used a couple of previous generation A series Canon cameras several for years at work, and that is why when I needed a new personal one I didn't consider anything else. The Powershots are simliar, a bit smaller. Can't go wrong. Not sure how Kam manages to shoot his lefthanded. Mine is righty only ergos, despite many efforts to shoot left.

I dropped my current one, ruined the LCD. Was more than a year old, so out of warranty (though warranty won't cover a broken display anyway). Went into the local Canon repair depot, and the nice lady agreed to replace the LCD no charge ($100 + shipping is the normal charge). So good on Canon for customer service as well as a great product.