Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #166
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l
I have a Canon A570 IS, and it has been the best digital camera I ever had. The user interface is intuitive, unlike many other brands. Image stabilization really helps. After having a Nikon with a specialized and expensive battery, I decided AA battery powered cameras are the only way to go. Cheap and easy to carry a pair of spare AA rechargeables, and I can always use lithium or alkaline in a pinch.

I used a couple of previous generation A series Canon cameras several for years at work, and that is why when I needed a new personal one I didn't consider anything else. The Powershots are simliar, a bit smaller. Can't go wrong. Not sure how Kam manages to shoot his lefthanded. Mine is righty only ergos, despite many efforts to shoot left.

I dropped my current one, ruined the LCD. Was more than a year old, so out of warranty (though warranty won't cover a broken display anyway). Went into the local Canon repair depot, and the nice lady agreed to replace the LCD no charge ($100 + shipping is the normal charge). So good on Canon for customer service as well as a great product.
Thanks for the info! I think we will go for a Powershot.

Quote:
Not sure how Kam manages to shoot his lefthanded. Mine is righty only ergos, despite many efforts to shoot left.
I bet he can tell us more about that, hu?

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #167
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
I too have a Canon IS point and shoot, and I can testify, it ain't the tool. My pics don't look like Kam's.

Great shots, great roads, great craic. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, I suppose to a point you are right, in so far as the camera can't pick the subject matter or the angle to shoot at ... but other than that, yes I do just have the camera set on 'auto' mode ..so it does all the 'settings' itself and does deserve a big chunk of the credit if the pics come out any good.

Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #168
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogman
I knew before now that Scotland had some great scenery. But, until I saw this thread, I had no idea that it was that beautiful. Stunning scenery, awesome roads.

This is made clear to me because of the breathtaking photos. Some of the best photography on this site (and that is saying a lot). You have a gift.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow ..thanks .. I am really flattered ..as there are some amazing photographers on here armed with some awesome kit... I don't really think I am in the same league as many ..but I'm bowled over that you would even compare my pics with theirs. I'm really pleased that you like the pics so much. Cheers again.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #169
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,306
Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot A720 IS
Image Date: 2009:04:19 13:10:22
Flash Used: No (Auto)
Focal Length: 5.8mm
CCD Width: 5.71mm
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
Aperture: f/4.0
ISO equiv: 80
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix

This is the camera info on your last picture. A program I download for Firefox lets you right click and do properties and get the info unless some other program had deleted it.

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #170
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Great thread,nice way to get through a wet Sunday in a wet Summer in Sydney,43C yesterday and drisling rain today,we need more Sunny Scotish weather here for riding,a few more castles and locks to ride by would be nice to
Thanks .... '43C' ! Damn! - we never see anything like those temps... we consider that we are doing well if we see anything over 20C during summer. Currently it's the middle of winter here and I had to take both bikes out today to give them run to charge up the batteries ... it was damp and 2C.... I was frozen after just 40 mins! ...Roll on spring. ... only a month or so to go.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #171
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl
Well, Kam definitely has an eye for the right motif and he seems to hit the button at the right time quite often!
But the quality of the pictures still is amamzing apart from this gift he's got. the sharpness is incredible and the exposure is just superb. don't know if he would be able to adjust that while riding..
We are actually thinking about buying a cam like that - something that produces great pictures without a lot of work and thinking. Would you recommend the Powershots or not?
Thanks!

Thanks again ..and as you can guess - yes I would recommend the Powershot ..I have been very happy with mine.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #172
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Not sure how Kam manages to shoot his lefthanded. Mine is righty only ergos, despite many efforts to shoot left.

Hi ..I don't have a problem shooting left handed (but then I am left handed for writing and drawing - right handed for everything else) . If I can find a pic showing my hand operating the camera (caught in the bike mirror) I will post it tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #173
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley
Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon PowerShot A720 IS
Image Date: 2009:04:19 13:10:22
Flash Used: No (Auto)
Focal Length: 5.8mm
CCD Width: 5.71mm
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
Aperture: f/4.0
ISO equiv: 80
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix

This is the camera info on your last picture. A program I download for Firefox lets you right click and do properties and get the info unless some other program had deleted it.

Neat programme! You know more about the pic than I do! All I could tell you was it was a Canon powershot ..and it was set on 'auto' . The rest is 'Chinese' to me. As I have said before - I don't really know much about photography, I just 'point and shoot' .

Old 01-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #174
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 693
[QUOTE=Questor]Of course you're going to die!!!
You're riding on the wrong side of the road!

Oh wait, you're in the United Kingdom...

I have never ridden in one of the counties that drive on the left. I was in the Bahamas for a short time and thought about renting a scooter but I just knew I would get carried away and end up on the wrong side of the road. It seems like it would be easier to do than in a car that was left hand drive.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #175
The Toecutter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Great photos, love the onboard/action shots
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #176
Kerry_129
semi-reformed squid

Oddometer: 303
Just caught up on your thread, Kamchat - lots more good stuff. I think many of them definitely show that the eye is a far more important than the equipment/knowledge/money spent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat
Castle Stalker ...used in the Monty Python 'Holy Grail' film.
Nice. "Where'd you get the coconuts?!"

Cool to see so many lovely lasses on Gixxers too!
Hi Vixen & rckt grl!

Here's a pic of me & Kathy, my best-est riding buddy in the whole world (along with JailBait & PrettyBoy )

This is a shameful admission for a full-bore Cafe Racer, but let me tell you something, old sport: This motorcycle is simply too g*d fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat. -
Hunter S.

Kerry_129 screwed with this post 01-24-2010 at 07:44 PM
Kerry_129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:56 AM   #177
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl
Thanks for the info! I think we will go for a Powershot.

I bet he can tell us more about that, hu?

Ok, finally managed to find a crappy pic - accidently catching the mirror in the pic - showing my hold on the camera ..as you can see I have to remove a glove to work the buttons ... support the camera with my thumb underneath and use my index finger to push the shutter half way down (for auto focus) ..and then the whole way to shoot.

As I have said before - it's a 'numbers game' - I take lots of pics - get plenty of rubbish ones like this, - which I then discard, leaving a few decent ones.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:11 AM   #178
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Great photos, love the onboard/action shots

Thanks ... they are also the most fun to take.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #179
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_129
Just caught up on your thread, Kamchat - lots more good stuff. I think many of them definitely show that the eye is a far more important than the equipment/knowledge/money spent!

Nice. "Where'd you get the coconuts?!"

Cool to see so many lovely lasses on Gixxers too!
Hi Vixen & rckt grl!

Here's a pic of me & Kathy, my best-est riding buddy in the whole world (along with JailBait & PrettyBoy )

Thanks ..glad you like them .. and good to see you have your own 'gixxer girl' ...they are a rare find!

We have several 'fast ladies' as part of our group, although they aren't all 'gixergirls' Julie here is a 'DucatiDiva' Lol!... and probably the fastest woman I know on two wheels ...leaving most of the guys standing.

'Regrouping' ..waiting with Sarah and Julie
Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #180
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Of course the problem with all these great twisty roads is that some can be dangerous. The worst is the A84 north from Callander - popular with bikers and one of our favourites, there are quite a few pics of it on this thread. It is the most dangerous road in Scotland ..and that must be down to one particular bend just a few miles north of Callander. The road drops and veers to the left just over the brow of a hill. If you don't know it's coming it is all too easy to find yourself head-on into the oncoming traffic... Not helped by the fact that any kind of speed results in one or both wheels off the ground as you crest the brow!

Here is the view as you approach the blind crest. (at least they have warning chevrons now, a few years ago there weren't any! ) ..

here we are on another occasion heading the opposite way (south) and waiting in a queue of traffic whilst the emergency services clear up yet another accident. Another biker having gone head on into three cars, one after another! It was reported in the local press as a miracle... he hit the first cars windscreen smashing it and being deflected over the roof into the windscreen of the following car, also smashing that before doing the same into the windscreen of the third car following! Luckily the rake on modern windscreens and the fact each screen 'caved in' absobing the impsct saved his life!

he left hospital with just cracked ribs and bruises! Amazing!

Not everyone is so lucky. I had the misfortune a few years ago to end up sitting in the middle of the road, at the exact same spot, comforting another injured biker .... the remnants of his CBR600RR lay crushed under the front of a 4x4 he hit 'head-on'. We waited for the ambulance. it took 15 mins..probably the longest 15 mins of my life. Unfortunately our new friend could only wait 10.

Kamchat screwed with this post 01-27-2010 at 06:12 AM