User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 AM   #2041
TerryK
Ulysses

Oddometer: 1,556
Flinders Ranges

We had a few days away with the bikes up in the Flinders Ranges South Australia. Just a view of a few turns from the lookout.

Check out my Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/KaneTerry?feature=mhee
TerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #2042
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
We had a few days away with the bikes up in the Flinders Ranges South Australia. Just a view of a few turns from the lookout.

Great looking trail! ..... not much rain round there by the look of it.
'Razorback' - 'is that a reference to those wild boars? (I remember an awfull film by that name - killer boar in the outback !.... probably fairly harmless beasts in real life? ).
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #2043
bubu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
In the Vercors, we have snow, rain, wind and sometimes sun ...

i put some pictures of this we, sorry KAMCHAT but the roads in the Vercors are to destroy to take pictures when you ride

25 bikes...

In a pass...

The viewing the Vercors
Old 05-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #2044
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
In the Vercors, we have snow, rain, wind and sometimes sun ...

i put some pictures of this we, sorry KAMCHAT but the roads in the Vercors are to destroy to take pictures when you ride

25 bikes...

Looks like a great trip bubu ... 25 bikes is a good sized group! - are they all friends of yours? ...
Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #2045
bubu
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
Looks like a great trip bubu ... 25 bikes is a good sized group! - are they all friends of yours? ...
yes they are friends .
Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #2046
bubu
Studly Adventurer

next pictures...

This year we have a baby with us, a girl, in side car...

lots of bikes

Ready to ride...

Old 05-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #2047
Felon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Hi mate thanks for this amazing thread.
i wondering how did you take those all pictures on moving? (is there any trick or part of your used?)
Need some advice.I got dslr camera and i want to much to take pictures like these.I worry about to drop camera or crash somewhere on bike
Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 AM   #2048
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
yes they are friends .

Awesome. That's a great group of friends. ...... With such a large group, do you all ride at the same pace to stick together or do you end up splitting into smaller groups so the fast ones can 'play' and those that want to chill and enjoy the scenery can cruise? It's a problem with larger groups - finding a pace that everyone is happy with.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #2049
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felon View Post
Hi mate thanks for this amazing thread.
i wondering how did you take those all pictures on moving? (is there any trick or part of your used?)
Need some advice.I got dslr camera and i want to much to take pictures like these.I worry about to drop camera or crash somewhere on bike

Thank you .... glad you like the thread.

As mentioned to others on here, there is no trick or special part/mount involved. It's just a case of riding with one hand and taking pics with the other.
Don't expect to get good shots straight away - it will take a little practice and getting used to. The important part is to always concentrate first on riding and watching where you are going! - use your peripheral vision to work the camera. It is very easy to run off the road or cross lanes into oncoming traffic if you don't do this!
Regarding dropping the camera - you probably will. I have on several occasions. That is why I have the camera on a lanyard attached to me so it doesn't matter if I drop it (it won't hit the deck).... if the lanyard is round your neck make sure it has a weak point that will snap in an accident (rather than strangle you/ break your neck if it gets caught up).
I would also probably recommend using a small compact camera rather than a larger (and more expensive) DSLR. This way, if you do damage it, it is not such a big expense (even if you don't drop it, it will end up getting hit by flying grit/stone chips from the bike in front if you are going to get in close for decent pics at speed). Also, being smaller, a compact is easier to work one handed, and easier to pull in and out of a tank bag on the move.
I use a Canon Powershot SX130is and am very pleased with it. Being a slightly older model, you can pick them up for 100 which means it is not too much heartbreak financialy if you do smash it.

Please note - I am not recommending taking pics this way to anyone - it does carry extra risk, particularly whilst you adjust and get used to it. If you do decide to try it - good luck .... and please, please be careful.

Kamchat screwed with this post 05-03-2012 at 04:42 AM
Old 05-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #2050
bubu
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Awesome. That's a great group of friends. ...... With such a large group, do you all ride at the same pace to stick together or do you end up splitting into smaller groups so the fast ones can 'play' and those that want to chill and enjoy the scenery can cruise? It's a problem with larger groups - finding a pace that everyone is happy with.

We often ride at the same pace. It's not to slow!!!

Sometimes, some really good riders have permission to go faster in front of the group. And they wait after!

In the last kilometers i often "create" a fast small group to have fun, but to arrive with all is more important than speed...

And at the evening it's time to
Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #2051
Aargee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
While the little thing spoiled your ride, we were out for 3 days enjoying ourselves; interested in pics? Here're they - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786730

Indeed I tried some shots in your style, like you said, it was a small camera & it was quite easy (better than my S5IS); I'm yet to see the pics as it was my friend's.
Aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #2052
Felon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Thank you .... glad you like the thread.

As mentioned to others on here, there is no trick or special part/mount involved. It's just a case of riding with one hand and taking pics with the other.
Don't expect to get good shots straight away - it will take a little practice and getting used to. The important part is to always concentrate first on riding and watching where you are going! - use your peripheral vision to work the camera. It is very easy to run off the road or cross lanes into oncoming traffic if you don't do this!
Regarding dropping the camera - you probably will. I have on several occasions. That is why I have the camera on a lanyard attached to me so it doesn't matter if I drop it (it won't hit the deck).... if the lanyard is round your neck make sure it has a weak point that will snap in an accident (rather than strangle you/ break your neck if it gets caught up).
I would also probably recommend using a small compact camera rather than a larger (and more expensive) DSLR. This way, if you do damage it, it is not such a big expense (even if you don't drop it, it will end up getting hit by flying grit/stone chips from the bike in front if you are going to get in close for decent pics at speed). Also, being smaller, a compact is easier to work one handed, and easier to pull in and out of a tank bag on the move.
I use a Canon Powershot SX130is and am very pleased with it. Being a slightly older model, you can pick them up for 100 which means it is not too much heartbreak financialy if you do smash it.

Please note - I am not recommending taking pics this way to anyone - it does carry extra risk, particularly whilst you adjust and get used to it. If you do decide to try it - good luck .... and please, please be careful.
Thanks for the recommendations.This post helps me much
Old 05-04-2012, 05:16 AM   #2053
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,280
One thing to add to Kamchat's post. Try to find a camera that you can operate with your gloves on. You can ask him about the risk and consequence of pulling a glove to get pictures.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #2054
JackC
n00b

Oddometer: 6
"You are going to die".

My older son (26) was licensed about two years ago. He rides a KLR and has a Boulevard "in repair" state - hope to have him on it soon.

My younger son turned 16 five months ago and last weekend, completed the MSS course on his permit. Unfortunately, he can't get a real license until he has at least 6 months on either his cage or bike license, but that happens next month.

My daughter (28) also got her permit (finally!) and that means my wife is the only one left without credentials. She is considering "next year" - though she tried once before about 20 years back unsuccessfully.

I bought my first bike (305 SuperHawk) when I turned 16, and am 57 this year. My parents were generally unconcerned... I think

If you are gonna die, do it while doing something you love - but in general, Don't Die!

JC
Old 05-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #2055
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
We often ride at the same pace. It's not to slow!!!

Sometimes, some really good riders have permission to go faster in front of the group. And they wait after!

In the last kilometers i often "create" a fast small group to have fun, but to arrive with all is more important than speed...

And at the evening it's time to

That's what we do .... so the fast ones can have fun ..and the rest don't feel under pressure to keep up... then we meet up at the next rest stop.