Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #226
Andidry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebo
Kamchat, there is a castle on the firth of clyde on the way in to glasgow. It is right on the river and the natural rocks form part of the castle walls, do you know where I am talking about?
would that be Dumbarton castle ?
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2010, 02:02 PM   #227
MikJogg
Weekend Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Just found your report,really fantastic pics

...and winter
MikJogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #228
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebo
Kamchat, there is a castle on the firth of clyde on the way in to glasgow. It is right on the river and the natural rocks form part of the castle walls, do you know where I am talking about?
Lee

Once again this is a great thread.

Have to agree with Andidry - I think you mean Dumbarton Castle ..at the mouth of the river Clyde.
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #229
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandMonkey
No offence taken mate. Sounds like your early years were interesting and far from typical. What are the midges like in May?
Good to hear it. Yes I had a great childhood, I loved Kenya.

The midges up here start coming out around May through to Sept, worst months tend to be July / August.. but it depends on what the weather has been up to. We don't really get bothered by them during the day ... they tend to come out in the evenings.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #230
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikJogg
Just found your report,really fantastic pics

Thank you

Old 02-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #231
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 735
I just wanted to mention that I am still following this thread and it still makes my day!
Just wonderful during this snowy winter. I haven't been on a bike for so long now that I actually fear to forget how it is...

BTW: Seeing some of the pics (multiple crashes, constnatly riding on the wrong side of the road - especially in bends) I have the feeling that your mother kinda knew what she was talking about....

However, come to see the Alps, buddy!

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #232
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl
I just wanted to mention that I am still following this thread and it still makes my day!
Just wonderful during this snowy winter. I haven't been on a bike for so long now that I actually fear to forget how it is...

BTW: Seeing some of the pics (multiple crashes, constnatly riding on the wrong side of the road - especially in bends) I have the feeling that your mother kinda knew what she was talking about....

However, come to see the Alps, buddy!

I know just how you feel ... I can't wait for spring and the season to start again ... We all meet up through winter and have Sunday breakfast together and everyone is gagging to get out again ... on warm dry roads .

As for the Alps, - we will be there .. one day... it's on my list... we have the Nurburgring and Valencia (MotoGP) pencilled in for this year at the moment.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:15 AM   #233
IslandMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Good to hear it. Yes I had a great childhood, I loved Kenya.

The midges up here start coming out around May through to Sept, worst months tend to be July / August.. but it depends on what the weather has been up to. We don't really get bothered by them during the day ... they tend to come out in the evenings.
Thanks for that and once again great RR.
IslandMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #234
jeaggerfairy
lost in transit

Oddometer: 87
Wishing I was there to sample the roads.

When I was in my 20's i dated a young woman from Scotland, Fiona Gordon was her name. She had told me how beautiful the country was, i wish i had gone to visit your fair land back then after seeing this ride report. You definately have captured some great places and moments with what looks like a great bunch of friends. As solitary as motorcycling can be at times it is still great to share the experience with a few close friends. If the opportunity ever presents itself again to visit Scotland I will try my best to go. Im glad that the few accidents that you have shown turned out ok for your friends. I had a buddy break a collarbone at the sportbike rally in Parry Sound here and boy it sure looked painfull from where i was standing in the emergency room. I will most definately be looking forward to further ride reports and great pics from you in the future.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #235
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaggerfairy
When I was in my 20's i dated a young woman from Scotland, Fiona Gordon was her name. She had told me how beautiful the country was, i wish i had gone to visit your fair land back then after seeing this ride report. You definately have captured some great places and moments with what looks like a great bunch of friends. As solitary as motorcycling can be at times it is still great to share the experience with a few close friends. If the opportunity ever presents itself again to visit Scotland I will try my best to go. Im glad that the few accidents that you have shown turned out ok for your friends. I had a buddy break a collarbone at the sportbike rally in Parry Sound here and boy it sure looked painfull from where i was standing in the emergency room. I will most definately be looking forward to further ride reports and great pics from you in the future.

Thank you for your comments ..I hope you do make it to Scotland one day... you won't be disappointed. As for 'great friends' ..yes, biking is made all the more fun by enjoying the common passion with others. I have met and made some great friends thanks to biking.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #236
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Dang! This has been a long hard winter ... just this week folk were stuck in their cars for 24 hrs in snow on the main A9 road! ....not long to go now though till we can get back doing more of this .. and the waiting is going to make it feel all the sweeter.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #237
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

I did try to get out last Sunday ... it was dry and sunny so I decided to take the gixxer for a wee spin to charge the battery (it's been 4 weeks since it was last run and with no power in the comunal garage I can't plug an Optimate in) .Only to find I was too late... no power ..at all ... the alarm has drained the battery completely ... sooo .. after half an hour of pushing the beast up and down the hill outside the flats trying to bump start her to no avail I had to accept defeat (God that gixxer may be light according to Bike magazine - but you want to try pushing the b*astard up a long hill! )
So here she is outside with a cable running out of our 3rd floor window on charge ... hope the folk in flats below didn't mind.
So, I did get out ..... not to ride my bike ... but to push it .... we did manage about 200 yds - not my longest rideout (by some margin)!

Old 02-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #238
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat
I did try to get out last Sunday ... it was dry and sunny so I decided to take the gixxer for a wee spin to charge the battery (it's been 4 weeks since it was last run and with no power in the comunal garage I can't plug an Optimate in) .Only to find I was too late... no power ..at all ... the alarm has drained the battery completely ... sooo .. after half an hour of pushing the beast up and down the hill outside the flats trying to bump start her to no avail I had to accept defeat (God that gixxer may be light according to Bike magazine - but you want to try pushing the b*astard up a long hill! )
So here she is outside with a cable running out of our 3rd floor window on charge ... hope the folk in flats below didn't mind.
So, I did get out ..... not to ride my bike ... but to push it .... we did manage about 200 yds - not my longest rideout (by some margin)!
So I guess you don't have a car, nor does one of your buddies... ?
(It should have been oh-so-easy to bypass it...)
BTW: Did you watch WAL-SCO last week? Jeez!
The snow is quickly melting up here and temperatures are in the teens, but unfortunately my beauty is lacking coolig fluid and that seems to be quite serious... I will have a hard time fixing it. And if there is one thing I don't have at all, it's time....
Will you please cross your fingers..

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #239
Corse
Yankee Brit

Oddometer: 1
Incredible pics...now I really feel homesick
Corse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #240
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl
So I guess you don't have a car, nor does one of your buddies... ?
(It should have been oh-so-easy to bypass it...)
BTW: Did you watch WAL-SCO last week? Jeez!
The snow is quickly melting up here and temperatures are in the teens, but unfortunately my beauty is lacking coolig fluid and that seems to be quite serious... I will have a hard time fixing it. And if there is one thing I don't have at all, it's time....
Will you please cross your fingers..

Hi again ... yes, we do have a couple of cars ... and I know what you mean about 'jump-starting' from a car battery .. but in the back of my head I seem to remember someone once telling me it could damage the bike's electrics ... this might be rubbish - but I didn't want to test it out on my bike. The battery wouldn't take any charge so I have ordered a new one .. can't complain really - the battery is now 5 year's old, has done 30,000 miles and suffered 5 Scottish winters.

Hope your bike is ok ... yes, I have my fingers crossed for you.