Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #901
AKLiz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
Given the above ..and your mentioning of 'honest accounts' .. I suppose I should explain what happened on Sunday and hold my hand up to being an 'utter plonker' ...... I flipped the gixxer wheelying her over the double humps on the Stockiemuir ...... I have wheelied her over the same humps hundreds of times ...and I don't know what I did different on Sunday ..but for some reason we got higher faster than normal and I found myself staring at clocks and sky ..with that horrible 'going over backwards' sensation .. I rolled off the throttle but it was too late and 'vertical' had been passed.... I know you are supposed to hit the rear brake at this point ..but 'knowing something' and being able to do it 'in the heat of the moment' and 'in a split second' is another thing!

As usual - I am the 'architect of my own misfortune'. .. No one else to blame ..no gravel or diesel in the road ... just an idiot at the controls.

Anyway .... thanks again for the good wishes. Much appreciated
Oh noes!! That would be a horrible feeling indeed. I watched someone do that exact thing in an offroad class I took last year (in that case, the wheelie was the result of clearing a log obstacle). It was pretty damn scary to watch.... how's Sarah holding up with everything?

Continue healing quick!!

Liz
AKLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #902
ReadySetGo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Hey Kamchat,

Very sad to see the pics of your baby all beat up. Thank the lord for leather. I am going to just say what I feel and that is "This Sucks".... I have been waiting all winter to see more of your great pics of great bikes and awesome scenery. Make sure you follow doctors orders so hopefully we can see you back on here riding and taking pics soon. Cheers to you on a speedy recovery and tell Sarah she can breath now. Healing thoughts being sent your way.
1996 Honda Magna 750
2006 Honda XR650L
ReadySetGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:54 AM   #903
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn2926 View Post
I met you last year at Devils Bridge, Maxie's meet. Sorry to hear of your off. Hope you heal fast and find another Wasp as good as that one. You will be back soon. Havn't been on MCN recently, too much rubbish. So have only just read about your slight coming together with the scenery. Once again heal fast and get back on the road.
All the best Glenn.

Thanks mate. ... It's a small world! - particularly now thanks to the internet. ..... Yeah, we fought the scenery ..and the scenery won! ..... Insurance assessor came yesterday ...and the Wasp is a 'cat B' write-off (can't be put back on the road) ..... so the hunt will be on soon for a replacement wasp ... unfortunately I can't ride for 8 weeks due to damage to my hand .... but it will soon pass, although - what is the betting 'we are now going to have 8 glorious weeks of sunshine!
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:56 AM   #904
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVFR View Post
Glad your not badly injured mate, get well soon!!!
Thanks mate - much appreciated.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:06 AM   #905
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKLiz View Post
Oh noes!! That would be a horrible feeling indeed. I watched someone do that exact thing in an offroad class I took last year (in that case, the wheelie was the result of clearing a log obstacle). It was pretty damn scary to watch.... how's Sarah holding up with everything?

Continue healing quick!!

Liz

Cheers Liz ... No, it's not a feeling I ever hope to repeat! - a total WTF! moment followed by 'Oh Sh1t! - This going to be bad! as we fell backwards at 70 mph. In 'smillie' terms it felt like - !

Sarah's fine thanks ..although she claims the stress was worse for her and I should now be giving her sympathy! Lol! ..... The things I put her through!

Kamchat screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 05:12 AM
Old 04-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #906
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadySetGo View Post
Hey Kamchat,

Very sad to see the pics of your baby all beat up. Thank the lord for leather. I am going to just say what I feel and that is "This Sucks".... I have been waiting all winter to see more of your great pics of great bikes and awesome scenery. Make sure you follow doctors orders so hopefully we can see you back on here riding and taking pics soon. Cheers to you on a speedy recovery and tell Sarah she can breath now. Healing thoughts being sent your way.

That's really nice of you to say ...thanks No worries - I will be back out on a bike with the camera in a couple of month's. I love this stuff too much to stop ..... life would just be so ...so ...'dull' otherwise.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #907
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Everyone has great advice after the event, the rear brake roll off or pull the clutch etc.

All easy to say from the comfort of behind a pc monitor etc.

Do you have other gear or are you going to need to go shopping for more leathers?
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
chammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #908
Vegan_Bob
Loving the ride

Oddometer: 7
Sorry to see the state....

..your wasp is in and I hope your 8 weeks aren't too painful. Maybe it is someone's way of telling you to go get the S1000RR?!
Vegan_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #909
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chammyman View Post
Everyone has great advice after the event, the rear brake roll off or pull the clutch etc.

All easy to say from the comfort of behind a pc monitor etc.

Do you have other gear or are you going to need to go shopping for more leathers?

You would think so, but actually everyone has been really great ... I thought I might have got some (well deserved) flack ... but I have been 'stoked' at how really nice and supportive folk have been. Thanks again everyone.

As for anyone giving advice ..'rolling off' or 'pulling the clutch' would have made no difference ...the only thing that might have saved my ass would have been finding the rear brake in time. I did 'roll off' when I realised how high things were getting ... and expected the bike to start to fall forwards .. but to my horror it just kept coming over ..and was like 'WTF! '.. it was at that point I realised we were past vertical and were falling backwards.... Anyway - 'we live and learn'.

Yeah, I am going to need new leather trousers and a helmet. The old ones have certainly done their job.... so I can't complain.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #910
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan_Bob View Post
..your wasp is in and I hope your 8 weeks aren't too painful. Maybe it is someone's way of telling you to go get the S1000RR?!

Cheers ..... S1000R? ... I think there may be the small 'issue' of a 9,000 shortfall between my insurance payout and the price of an S1000R .... Probably will get another K5 gixxer 1000, which would save me 8,000 and be almost as good.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #911
chammyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
I have a nice 1983 Suzuki GS125 with electric start. You can't wheelie that.

Might be a good idea

So you keeping the old one or is that away?
1988 Honda CB 350 SG
chammyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #912
Laphroaig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Ahhh Memories

Kamchat,

Oh deary me, I feel your pain. Here's a picture of my bike (which I still own) after a high side leaving the house Cold tyres, one hand on the bars and one closing the visor...... Then it all got way too interesting after that to actually believe what was happening.

Now moved on to one of these, much more fun at lower speeds.

Rubber side down and all that

L
Old 04-22-2011, 11:57 AM   #913
Sawbladz
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Just read all 10 pages (100 posts per page) and this has to be one of the best threads on the site. I love bikes, scenery, and commentary that this thread has in spades. This is the type of adventure riding that I want to do when I get a bike this summer/fall. Will just need to work on convincing my friends to go on some long distance rides.

Sorry to hear about the off and I hope you heal up quick and the insurance doesn't jerk you around too badly. There are some great new point and shoots out from Canon so you will be happy when you go to replace yours. I bought my girlfriend a nice powershot last summer when she left for her Italy trip and the prices were very reasonable.

Have you ever considered building a rig/trigger setup or mounting a Go Pro? Your pics are amazing but this might allow you to experiment with some different ideas.
Sawbladz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #914
ullukk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Just caught up with the last couple of weeks or so of this great thread, sorry to hear about your crash mate, hope you get well soon. i'm up in the scottish borders from tuesday to friday for a nice little break, looking forward to racking a few miles up around the area, rode through the borders a fair few times on way up north but never stayed there so thought its about time i did.

Keep up the great work mate, couple of months will soon pass and it'll be time to burn rubber yet again!

Keith, Hull.
ullukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:02 AM   #915
PsychoSayWhat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Wow Kamchat sorry to read about your crash but really glad you're on the road to recovery! Heal up quick!

PsychoSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote