Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #121
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester
Thanks for the shots, they brought back a few memories. I grew up in Aberdeen before going to Uni in Edinburgh. My brother went to Glasgow and no town was big enough for both of us in those days . I spent a lot of time in Perthshire and up the west coast, walking and kayaking mostly, so recognise many of the locations. I must get up there on my bike sometime.

Thanks also for the egg run. My nephew spent the first year of his life in Yorkhill and has been back many times since. Have a pint of 80 bob on me

Thanks ...glad to trigger some memories for you

One of my own sons had a heart operation at Yorkhill... it is a humbling place to visit .... if I ever find myself feeling sorry for myself I always try to remember Yorkhill and the kids there ... many of them truly have been dealt a 'sh*tty hand' in life - fighting cancer ...yet often with a smile on their faces.

Stopping for a pic on the amazingly twisty road from Dunkeld to Blairgowrie..

Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:24 AM   #122
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !!!

definitely one of the best threads i've seen lately. absolutely gorgeous bikes, absolutely gorgeous scenery (of course) and absolutely fantastic shots !

Can you just tell me once again more precisely how you do the shots while riding? is the cam fixed or do you just hold it in your hand? if so, where do you keep it and how do drive with a cam in your hand? seems pretty uncomfy to me..
however, the pics are worth it.

we are plannning on riding Cymri & Alba this summer with the Fazer. probably we could meet up some day, somewhere for a beer, whisky or a little ride!
keep the photos coming!

Wow! Thank you! Glad you like them so much.

No the camera is not fixed ..it is held in my left hand. Most of the time when out on a rideout the camera stays in my rucksack. But when I decide to get some pics I stop, remove my left glove and swap it for the camera . I know riding without a glove is not a good idea but I can't work the camera buttons otherwise (I am toying with the idea of cutting the end of one finger off a glove so I can stay protected but still work the camera buttons). The camera is clipped to a lanyard round my neck (this allows me to drop the camera should I suddenly need to use both hands on the controls in an emergency) I then just ride with my right hand working the throttle and brake and countersteering combined with using the rest of my body to lean the bike round bends. My main concentration is on the road ahead ... using peripheral vision to see what I am doing with the camera ..... or if glancing down to check the camera using peripheral vision to keep and eye on the road.
Between pics I stuff the camera down the front of my jacket which I leave partly unzipped.

Hope this all makes sense ... let me know if you want any more info.

Dan & Kasia

St Marys Loch
Old 01-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #123
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sarah and David

Andy and his Mille on the Stockiemuir

Old 01-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #124
2laneblacktop
Tarmac

Oddometer: 3,052
Most excellent thread !!

2laneblacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #125
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2laneblacktop
Most excellent thread !!

Thanks for the most excellent response !

Loch Garry

Old 01-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #126
jeckyll
Kneedragger

Oddometer: 589
Some great photos, makes me miss my sportbike!

:)

jeckyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #127
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2laneblacktop
Most excellent thread !!
+100
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:14 PM   #128
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 764
A85 incident again ..this is what happens when car-driving tourists stop in the middle of the road, without indicating ..and dither over whether to pull into a layby or not!

i felt bad for Glen and Sara, until about page 8 where you basically tell the world you are an irresponsible rider riding at illegal speeds and have a police officer with you as well.
Not that i have never done it myself however through the twisty s, you should know better and have control over your bike. It sounds to me like it was not the tourists fault.
You never know what will happen, and guess what,, shit happens.
my guess is you were blasting around and when the tourist stopped,,, Glen and Sara couldn't.
A stray dog could have killed you just as easily.
ADVwanaB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #129
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB
A85 incident again ..this is what happens when car-driving tourists stop in the middle of the road, without indicating ..and dither over whether to pull into a layby or not!

i felt bad for Glen and Sara, until about page 8 where you basically tell the world you are an irresponsible rider riding at illegal speeds and have a police officer with you as well.
Not that i have never done it myself however through the twisty s, you should know better and have control over your bike. It sounds to me like it was not the tourists fault.
my guess is you were blasting around and when the tourist stopped,,, Glen and Sara couldn't.
geez... I think somebody got some pee-soaked wheaties this morning...
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #130
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 764
No,, i just see way too often bikers on sport bikes zipping in and out of traffic at twice the speed limit without thinking of what can happen.
i especially like seeing a group of guys on sport bikes practicing their 60+ mph wheelies and stopies, on the highway during rush hour.
I can't tell you how many times i have been passed on both sides of me at the same time by sport bikes literally flying in and out of traffic. And if they crash, it's someone elses fault, for cutting in front of the biker.
Now that being said,,,,, dragging a knee is awesome.
dragging a knee around a bend blind, speeding,,, and then you have to get your brakes locked up or go off roading,,,, well that's just plain dumb.. in my opinion, to blame the tourist for being in the middle of the road.
ADVwanaB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #131
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB

Nice bit of 'trolling' my friend . ... sorry, but I ain't playing your game .... you weren't there ...you know virtually nothing about the incident... sounds like you are in the perfect position to judge who was to blame! Lol!
Old 01-18-2010, 03:43 AM   #132
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat
Nice bit of 'trolling' my friend . ... sorry, but I ain't playing your game .... you weren't there ...you know virtually nothing about the incident... sounds like you are in the perfect position to judge who was to blame! Lol!
Great pictures! Thanks for the work of sharing! Too bad the world is so full of those whom know all and do nothing. Seems like a Know all finds his way into near most ride reports.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #133
hummel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat
Perfect reply . Enjoying the photos etc .Might bump into you this year,a few of us ride the same roads regularly too.On a mixture of bikes ,me on a ktm950adv.
Anyway well done.
hummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:56 AM   #134
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckyll
Some great photos, makes me miss my sportbike!

:)
Thanks .. time to buy another?

Glencoe

Old 01-18-2010, 04:59 AM   #135
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsR100
+100
Thanks for saying so.