ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist
 
Nessman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Oddometer: 1,538
I walked away...

My Quota hates my commute, she fouls plugs, spits, farts and gets shit gas mileage to let me know that seven miles twice a day is no way to treat a lady. I've been looking for a cheap bike (bordering on free) to take over commuting duties. I had a '00 DR200 for a while but it was too slow/small.

Today a 1980 GN400 pops up on CL for $400, that's a bike right in my wheelhouse. Absolutely no collectable value, one cylinder and zero cool, my motorcycle soulmate if there ever were. I drove out to see it in the dark (never a good idea as you probably know but I've got kids and responsibilities). It was a mess, paint by Sherwin Williams, ancient tires, broken taillight/signals empty stale smelling gas tank with a nice rusty patina inside and liberally covering the rest of the bike...and it didn't run. I had a weak moment when I kicked it over and heard the healthy compression of a thumper wanting to run again but I let logic prevail.

The kid wanted $400 for it, after doing the math I offered $250 due to the obvious issues. He countered to $300 but I was stretching it at $250. He's got my number, 50/50 odds he'll call me and I'll have the start of a cheap cafe'/commuter project.

Watch this space.
__________________
'07 Bandit 1250ABS
Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid
 
bgoodsoil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Oddometer: 4,220
I'd put that 250 into a carb rebuild for the Quota. those are cool bikes
__________________
'85 BMW r80G/S--Another G/S on the road--Central America on a Shoestring--Nova Scotia on a Shoestring--Never Leave a Man's Behind

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist
 
Nessman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
I'd put that 250 into a carb rebuild for the Quota. those are cool bikes
That's the deal, they don't have carbs. Quoters use a crude open loop FI system, since it never gets warm it's always pumping far more fuel than it really needs because the sensors are telling it to.

A Weber carb conversion has been done with some success, it's on the list but I have to educate myself on Weber automotive carbs first.
__________________
'07 Bandit 1250ABS
Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous
 
Wirespokes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Jackson's Bottom Oregon
Oddometer: 7,795
I know a guy who converted an R1100GS to 40mm Bings and it ran great. Wouldn't it be possible to retrograde to Dellortos or Bings or Mikunis?
__________________
Wanted: Dead, smashed, crashed or trashed gauges
BMW GAUGE REPAIRS - TACH*SPEEDO*CLOCK*VOLT METER *PODs & LIGHT BOARD*
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist
 
Nessman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes
I know a guy who converted an R1100GS to 40mm Bings and it ran great. Wouldn't it be possible to retrograde to Dellortos or Bings or Mikunis?
Sure, on a BMW there's lots of room. I've got a set of 36mm Del Ortos with Delrin manifolds on the shelf that I'd love to bolt on but I'd have to hack big holes in the bodywork to make them fit.

Early Quotas had an automotive type Weber carb that was replaced by automotive type fuel injection, the Weber carb conversion is actually easier than grafting on a set of Delortos...theoretically.
__________________
'07 Bandit 1250ABS
Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid
 
bgoodsoil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Oddometer: 4,220
waitaminute. we're talking about converting a fuel injected bike to carbs as a definite improvement? I've died and gone to heaven
__________________
'85 BMW r80G/S--Another G/S on the road--Central America on a Shoestring--Nova Scotia on a Shoestring--Never Leave a Man's Behind

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
eric123
Gott Mit Uns
 
eric123's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 1,467
Go buy the damn thing...I have a couple of them...Great little bikes...
eric123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #8
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid
 
bgoodsoil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Oddometer: 4,220
I think I'm able to read between the lines of your posts now. You came to the old school forum complaining about a fuel injected bike. You MUST be wanting us to tell you which airhead to buy. Now that we've got that out of the way I feel we can move on to the recommendations.

joking aside, buying a non-running bike and expecting to turn it into a reliable commuter with little money & effort is probably not a good idea. There's gotta be a way to get that Quota straightened out. Try letting the bike warm up for an extra 2 or 3 minutes. Heck, it doesn't cost anything. At least you ride a bike as a form of transportation. That makes you a 1%er that's actually worth something.

Quote:
I had a weak moment when I kicked it over and heard the healthy compression of a thumper wanting to run again but I let logic prevail.
You overcame your weak moment. be proud! continue to let logic prevail!
__________________
'85 BMW r80G/S--Another G/S on the road--Central America on a Shoestring--Nova Scotia on a Shoestring--Never Leave a Man's Behind

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 01-10-2010 at 09:19 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:25 PM   #9
Mugwest
.
 
Mugwest's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: 3rd Ring of Buzztopia
Oddometer: 5,767
Why not just ride the Quota to work and back in 2nd gear?

Oh and wheelies. Lots of wheelies.
__________________
.
Mugwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
bones_708
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Oddometer: 574
I bought my 81 GN400 for $100. They are stone simple and if it had compression, the electric worked, and it shifted thru the gears then why not get it. They aren't bad bikes, surprisingly sporty, and would work great as a commuter. Personally I think your right on the price I wouldn't go over 200. Top resale is maybe 800 if you are lucky so when you figure the costs of repairs, parts ect, odds are you are just breaking even, but having fun doing it.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:13 PM   #11
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer
 
Steve G.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: West is the Best
Oddometer: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeyman
My Quota hates my commute, she fouls plugs, spits, farts and gets shit gas mileage to let me know that seven miles twice a day is no way to treat a lady. I've been looking for a cheap bike (bordering on free) to take over commuting duties. I had a '00 DR200 for a while but it was too slow/small.

Today a 1980 GN400 pops up on CL for $400, that's a bike right in my wheelhouse. Absolutely no collectable value, one cylinder and zero cool, my motorcycle soulmate if there ever were. I drove out to see it in the dark (never a good idea as you probably know but I've got kids and responsibilities). It was a mess, paint by Sherwin Williams, ancient tires, broken taillight/signals empty stale smelling gas tank with a nice rusty patina inside and liberally covering the rest of the bike...and it didn't run. I had a weak moment when I kicked it over and heard the healthy compression of a thumper wanting to run again but I let logic prevail.

The kid wanted $400 for it, after doing the math I offered $250 due to the obvious issues. He countered to $300 but I was stretching it at $250. He's got my number, 50/50 odds he'll call me and I'll have the start of a cheap cafe'/commuter project.

Watch this space.

All EFI Quota's shipped to North America had serious software issues with their ecu's. New ecu's were sent out for every bike. Symptoms of a bad ecu were terrible gas mileage, spitting and inconsistant throttle response, generally shitty running. I know 3 guys who have Quota's, and had the ecu's changed years ago, transformed the machine.


Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #12
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist
 
Nessman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G.
All EFI Quota's shipped to North America had serious software issues with their ecu's. New ecu's were sent out for every bike. Symptoms of a bad ecu were terrible gas mileage, spitting and inconsistant throttle response, generally shitty running. I know 3 guys who have Quota's, and had the ecu's changed years ago, transformed the machine.


Steve
I've got the new ECU as well, far better than the old one but still not perfect.
Modern Guzzis don't get good mileage as a rule, back in the '80s 50mpg was attainable, now 40mpg is closer to reality. My Q gets 30mpg commuting and low 40s on the road.

I love my Quota, best Guzzi I've ever owned and I've owned a bunch but it's not a good short distance commuter.

Did I mention my weakness for old thumpers?
__________________
'07 Bandit 1250ABS
Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude
 
Mr. Vintage's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: The Palouse
Oddometer: 840
Bummer the Q doesn't work better. Mine seems to handle my 7 mile commute OK, but I'm thinking of going the other direction with mine and doing a microsquirt system. But that is about number 4,578 on my projects list.

You need a midrange bike to fill out the garage - the Quota is just the big blade in the swiss army knife of bikes.

(And even thought it's only a decade old, the Q will always be old school in my book...)
__________________
- Jeff (Mr. Vintage) -
Quota, SL350, MW250, MT250, CT90
Mr. Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer
 
Uncle Ernie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Asheville NC
Oddometer: 3,978
I knew a guy that got a new Quota. He sold it 6 months later.
__________________
LOOK OUT IT'S COMING THIS WAY!
Uncle Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #15
Nessman OP
Cluttered Minimalist
 
Nessman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Everett, WA
Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
I knew a guy that got a new Quota. He sold it 6 months later.
If I had a nickel for every time I wanted to sell my Quota in the first six months I could buy a small beach house. After the first year we got along better and now it's all love....almost. Three years of fixing big and little issues, putting on some miles and learning to love the big girl with the homely face was worth it.
__________________
'07 Bandit 1250ABS
Nessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014