User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Scientist of Fun OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Question Spectro 4 20w50 oil???

Ok, so here I am with Castrol "High mileage" 20w50 for automobiles in my 1986 Honda XL600R. Some cheap ass oil, eh... My piglet has 13.5k showing on the odometer. I had a buddy of mine help me out with the installation of my kickstarter's return spring. After all these years it had finally snapped. Anyway, while we were at it, we replaced some seals, gaskets and did an oil change. Well, I went to my local motorcycle shop for the first time since I was 16. I'm 26 now. So I was merely in there to grab some of those little reflector bolts you substitute into license plates... Winded up asking them about my fresh oil change expecting a thumbs up. When I told them I was using oil for a car they cringed. Especially since the owner when into a phase of nostalgia when he was checking my bike out. He was like "Change your oil ASAP. Seals will deteriorate and you will lose your engine like that."
I was very interested in these comments and really wanted to know what the difference between motorcycle/car oils were and how the oil I was raping my engine with was effecting it at the time. He then proceeded to explain something that made total sense to me. Car oils are meant to lubricate different parts of the engine such as mainly the crankshaft, pistons, rings, ect.. whereas the motorcycle oil lubes everything in the motor including stator, transmission and touches certain seals that are apt to deteriorate with conventional automobile oils.

I suckered into it and bought a gallon of this oil. He only carried this brand and swore by it. They've been in business for years before I visited that shop for the first time. They est. in 1983 and have been there ever since. They must be doing something right. I wonder if he was just marketing the product to a naive person who obsessively cares about his piggy and saw me coming a mile away OR if this is true.

One thing he said was that this oil meets and Exceeds warranty standards.
It also meets A.P.I. SL and JASO MA quality requirements.

Has anyone heard of this brand before? Did I get a good deal? A gallon plus an extra liter of this oil with K&N oil filter @ $35.64 after 15% off.

Scientist of Fun screwed with this post 01-26-2012 at 09:48 PM
Scientist of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
I'll be polite

I'll be nice, but be warned that oil threads usually turn into flame wars. The topic has been beat to death, with strong opinions, and little concensus. Do some searches.

Some say motorcycle oils are necessary with bikes that have combined engine and transmissions, because the gears shear the oil and 'only' a motorcycle oil can stand the shear stress.

Some say that an oil must meet the JASO MA standard, because some oils without it contain additives that will cause the clutch to slip.

Some automotive oils might be OK, but are not recommended for motorcycle applications. That does not mean they will not work. Some use specific types of Mobil 1 automobile oil. I've used the Mobil 1 motorcycle oil, maybe out of paranoia. It works, the only problem is that it is more expensive.

Spectro 4 has been around for decades. I used it on my 1984 street bike without any problems. What you paid is reasonable, but I thought they had a synthetic that cost more. You're lucky you didn't get get talked into the highly recommended Silkolene (that some say DRZ's will die without it) that costs $15 a liter.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
Scientist of Fun OP
Adventurer

I've searched far and wide not only on this forum, but on google, thumpertalk, 4strokes.com, dualsportrider, two wheeled texans, the list goes on. Been reading a lot of babble on different oils, checking out field tests (which usually tend to be sponsored by the oil that happens to be #1 on the list) ... People using diesel oils? So many different opinions regarding oil--- Maybe i'm better off just changing the oil often and when I have the cash, dishing out the extra $3-4 per quart on "motorcycle" oil. Guess you can't go wrong with a product that is labeled for motorcycles. I would never pay $15/liter for oil. That's just insane. I'll stick to Spectro while this local dealer's "discounted" stock and my 1986 engine lasts. It's an old engine. Guess if its gonna break there's really no "right" type of oil to keep it going a little longer, huh.

Maybe I should nuke this thread. But, I also like to hear different opinions. Don't mean to stir things up!
So many smart asses in this forum that i'd have to say i'm surprised to hear a mature, "polite" response to an inquiry in regard to something so essential for an engine's life. Oil is after all the blood of the bike.

Once again, I appreciate the kind gesture to a noob like me.

Scientist of Fun screwed with this post 01-27-2012 at 01:33 AM
Scientist of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Rotella .
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:28 AM   #5
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,741
I use Rotella T6 HDEO (diesel engine oil, JASO-MA spec). About $22/gallon at Walmart in the US (costs a bit more here in Canada, so I buy mine when I travel South).

Some good reading here:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consumables.html#Oil

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Board=9&page=1

20W-50 sounds heavy, though I don't know anything about your bike. Normally it is only used for big twins, HD, etc. Most bikes these days are specified for 10W40 or similar.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #6
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist of Fun View Post
Ok, so here I am with CASTROL GTX 10W40 Semisynthetic for automobiles in my 1986 Honda XL600R. Some cheap ass oil, eh... My piglet has 13.5k showing on the odometer. I had a buddy of mine help me out with the installation of my kickstarter's return spring. After all these years it had finally snapped. Anyway, while we were at it, we replaced some seals, gaskets and did an oil change. Well, I went to my local motorcycle shop for the first time since I was 16. I'm 26 now. So I was merely in there to grab some of those little reflector bolts you substitute into license plates... Winded up asking them about my fresh oil change expecting a thumbs up. When I told them I was using oil for a car they cringed. Especially since the owner when into a phase of nostalgia when he was checking my bike out. He was like "Change your oil ASAP. Seals will deteriorate and you will lose your engine like that."
I was very interested in these comments and really wanted to know what the difference between motorcycle/car oils were and how the oil I was raping my engine with was effecting it at the time. He then proceeded to explain something that made total sense to me. Car oils are meant to lubricate different parts of the engine such as mainly the crankshaft, pistons, rings, ect.. whereas the motorcycle oil lubes everything in the motor including stator, transmission and touches certain seals that are apt to deteriorate with conventional automobile oils.

I suckered into it and bought a gallon of this oil. He only carried this brand and swore by it. They've been in business for years before I visited that shop for the first time. They est. in 1983 and have been there ever since. They must be doing something right. I wonder if he was just marketing the product to a naive person who obsessively cares about his piggy and saw me coming a mile away OR if this is true.

One thing he said was that this oil meets and Exceeds warranty standards.
It also meets A.P.I. SL and JASO MA quality requirements.

Has anyone heard of this brand before? Did I get a good deal? A gallon plus an extra liter of this oil with K&N oil filter @ $35.64 after 15% off.

Fixed.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Back in the day when I had a XL600 I also ran Spectro 20/50 semi synthetic oil. Great stuff. You got a VERY good price. Once I had a transmission gear giving up and it threw a chip that ended up scoring the cylinder sleeve and I was using oil only I didn't quite know it. Anyhow when I finally checked my oil level I only had 1/2 a quart in the bike. Spectro saved the top end from failure. A common problem on Honda big singles that run low on oil.

EDIT: I re-read your post and realize you didn't get the semi-synthetic oil. Oh well still good stuff.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project

mcma111 screwed with this post 01-27-2012 at 06:03 AM
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,278
Are we there yet......
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Are we there yet......
Nah.. just a little further...

'91 Vespa PX 200E "Lusso"
'05 KTM 640 ADV "Fatman"
'99 HD FLHRCI "Leviathan"
Laromonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Maybe I am very old fashioned, but I have a XL600LMF (basically the same as the p.o's) and I run it on straight 50w, doesnt burn any, gets changed once a year and works fine.
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #11
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Maybe I am very old fashioned, but I have a XL600LMF (basically the same as the p.o's) and I run it on straight 50w, doesnt burn any, gets changed once a year and works fine.
thats funny I did this on my xr, straight 40 oil, dino...old stuff. didnt find anything unusual about it, and when reading the manual and the oil chart info you can see a straight oil can be used if yourie in the 70-90f temp ALL THE TIME....

Anywhoo

OP. I used the SPECTRO oil, dino stuff on my old cb750 and it was great, but that bike was as close to a 4cyl car engine than anything else I could imagine so dont know, its also a cold blooded bike...anywhoo it was a great oil

To stir the pot like some here too...

USE DIESEL oil!

rotella
delo 400
rimula

etc...

these oils work great in old airhead bikes and are great for wet clutch bikes...

they have higher amounts of the good stuff(sorry cant remember) and well they last quite a while...

I do change the oil regularly...

Also another thing to stir the pot:

1 oil change a year? really?

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #12
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,623
I found Mobil1 15w50 at wallyworld for $6.50 a quart...I got every bottle they had, next time I went back, cleared the shelf again, every bottle, $6.50.....use it in the Kaw and the Husky, in the HD, I put the cheapest thing I can find....

Old 01-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
Scientist of Fun OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I use Rotella T6 HDEO (diesel engine oil, JASO-MA spec). About $22/gallon at Walmart in the US (costs a bit more here in Canada, so I buy mine when I travel South).

Some good reading here:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consumables.html#Oil

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Board=9&page=1

20W-50 sounds heavy, though I don't know anything about your bike. Normally it is only used for big twins, HD, etc. Most bikes these days are specified for 10W40 or similar.
Yea, I was thinking maybe its too heavy of an oil... Hmm. The dry, hot days of South Texas are near though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
Fixed.
It was 10w40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Back in the day when I had a XL600 I also ran Spectro 20/50 semi synthetic oil. Great stuff. You got a VERY good price. Once I had a transmission gear giving up and it threw a chip that ended up scoring the cylinder sleeve and I was using oil only I didn't quite know it. Anyhow when I finally checked my oil level I only had 1/2 a quart in the bike. Spectro saved the top end from failure. A common problem on Honda big singles that run low on oil.

EDIT: I re-read your post and realize you didn't get the semi-synthetic oil. Oh well still good stuff.
Yea, it isn't synthetic at all... Maybe I should go exchange it for some semi-synthetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Rotella .
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
thats funny I did this on my xr, straight 40 oil, dino...old stuff. didnt find anything unusual about it, and when reading the manual and the oil chart info you can see a straight oil can be used if yourie in the 70-90f temp ALL THE TIME....

Anywhoo

OP. I used the SPECTRO oil, dino stuff on my old cb750 and it was great, but that bike was as close to a 4cyl car engine than anything else I could imagine so dont know, its also a cold blooded bike...anywhoo it was a great oil

To stir the pot like some here too...

USE DIESEL oil!

rotella
delo 400
rimula

etc...

these oils work great in old airhead bikes and are great for wet clutch bikes...

they have higher amounts of the good stuff(sorry cant remember) and well they last quite a while...

I do change the oil regularly...

Also another thing to stir the pot:

1 oil change a year? really?

cheers
I'll check out some Rotella pretty soon, here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
I found Mobil1 15w50 at wallyworld for $6.50 a quart...I got every bottle they had, next time I went back, cleared the shelf again, every bottle, $6.50.....use it in the Kaw and the Husky, in the HD, I put the cheapest thing I can find....

Sounds like a great deal!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #14
Scientist of Fun OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Are we there yet......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laromonster View Post
Nah.. just a little further...
U must be riding bitch
Old 07-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #15
statsman
Weekend Warrior

Oddometer: 30
Synthetic motor oil

Just reading some of the posts here. My BMW 1990 K100 LT is not designed to use synthetic oil.
There have been numerous cases of older beemers using synthetic oil and the oil seals failing.
It seems that synthetic lubricating oils made their appearance in Europe long after North America. BMW and others did not manufacture seals and other parts of the lubricating system to be compatible with synthetic oil until the late 90s.
I always use Spectro 4 20W50 when I can get it. You have to be certain it's the petroleum based oil as they make a synthetic 20W50 as well.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote