User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM   #1
Alaska1WD OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
DR350SE project

I bought my first motorcycle a few months ago. I wanted a bike that is highway speed (bigger then 250) but loves offroad (not a 650). And cheap. My money goes for engineering tuition. I got this DR350SE for 1500$! 3000 miles on it and its in great shape. It has cool extras too. November is the best time to buy bikes!
This is my first post. I have bought stuff to add a kick starter as well because roll starting a motorcycle on soggy tundra is something I hope I never ever have to do. Peace of mind and all. I have a few questions to ask about what parts I still need to get. I will put some pics and stuff up 2mro. DR350's are great!
Attached Images

Alaska1WD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:02 AM   #2
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,662
Welcome aboard.
Old Today, 11:35 AM   #3
Soldier311
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Welcome also. Be sure to check out the DR350 thread.
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #4
cruiserbrett
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
what to do depends on usage. most would find the stock gearing is so so at best for offroad work.

I would always recommend some sort of handguards, like cycra or ?

Immediately replace the factory strong as a wire clothes hanger handle bars with some Renthal or pro-taper bars. Taller is better for any kind of riding while standing....

suspension is mush, so at a min, re-spring for your weight if needed.

other than that, just ride it and learn the shortfalls.
cruiserbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:33 PM   #5
Alaska1WD OP
n00b

Kick Starter Gears

Kick starter gears seem to run around 50$ on Ebay, but I got this one for 20$ with free shipping because the bolt had broken off inside.
It says I can only upload one image, do image hosting sites work?
Attached Images

Old Today, 12:59 PM   #6
Alaska1WD OP
n00b

Unstuck threads

So I got the broken bit unscrewed! Barely. It took half an hour. I was putting most of my force on it which almost broke the little grabit thing before it broke free. A cool trick is to put oil into the little hole below the broken bit so its lubing from both sides. Jam a fine point air compressor tip in/on the hole and hopefully force some oil down in the threads. I saved 30ish by doing this.

Old Today, 01:01 PM   #7
Alaska1WD OP
n00b

does this work

I have the above piece now. I need the gear it runs with. It was hard to find and is expensive new, so I bought a transmission/internal gears deal off Ebay for 40+17$ ship. It was a great deal. Just the gear I want new is 43+ship so I basically got the whole transmission for free. The light colored square is the part I want.

Extra parts is never a bad thing, right? It came from a dirt version so there might be some different sized trans. gears or something. Anyway, the piece looks like this now

On the bikebandit.com website http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...9218#sch245442 it looks like all i need now is a clutch cover gasket, kick start lever(on the way), and parts 17,10,2, and 6.
I think someone said that http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/...9218#sch239766 parts 32,33,34,and 35 are in the engine already? So I don't think I need these. Part 31 is already in the gear pictured above right?
Am I missing something? This is turning out to be cheaper+easier to do than I thought. Thanks guys

Alaska1WD screwed with this post Today at 01:26 PM
Old Today, 01:02 PM   #8
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
If you want to have a reliable bike leave it alone. DR's are super reliable when left in stock condition. If you do want to farkle only change the suspension parts.

I'd put a stock muffler back on if it was my bike. After 20K miles and nine years of service my 96 DR has never let me down.

Good luck,

SP
Old Today, 04:20 PM   #9
Alaska1WD OP
n00b

Exhaust+Header

My bike came with a larger header pipe probably from keintech and a DR650 FMF2 muffler..?!?? I thought it looked a bit large. It seems quiet and probably gives good gas mileage so i'll tolerate the few extra pounds. I need a heat shield for the header pipe so I don't burn my leg but I cant find one on Ebay. I don't intend to overfarkle this bike up, reliability is #1. Up next I am moving the taillight and turn signals and adding a back fender rack