User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
wr250r swingarm swap

I am wanting to run a larger rear tire than what will fit within the stock wr250r swingarm. I am wanting to swap swingarms with a wr250f. Will they fit?
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,463
It's your bike, and of course you have the option of pursuing whatever gets your attention. I'm am curious, however, as to why you might feel that you need a bigger rear tire. A Yamaha WR450F has probably somewhere around 50hp and only uses a 120/90 X 18 rear tire. I think many believe that the bigger the tire the better the performance. That is usually not the case for many dirt style bikes...especially those horsepower in the 20's range.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
It's your bike, and of course you have the option of pursuing whatever gets your attention. I'm am curious, however, as to why you might feel that you need a bigger rear tire. A Yamaha WR450F has probably somewhere around 50hp and only uses a 120/90 X 18 rear tire. I think many believe that the bigger the tire the better the performance. That is usually not the case for many dirt style bikes...especially those horsepower in the 20's range.
The only reason is that there isn't much room for a taller tire on the WRR. I don't need the width, I kneed the softness of a taller tire with some room around the tire to clear mud. For example. I do a lot of off road on this bike. I was running a 4" trials tire. If I got into any mud the swing arm would be completely full.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
dom1104
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Legit response.

+1 OP.
dom1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
How far back is the axle on your bike? Lots of people run 4" trials tires on WR250Rs, so they do fit. Maybe you just need to revisit your gearing and chain length.

I can take some measurements tonight, but I run an MT43 on my CRF250L, which has less room, and I've got a WR250R here with a rear tire that is nearly as big, with lots of room to spare. (110/100 Trakmaster II).
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #6
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
How far back is the axle on your bike? Lots of people run 4" trials tires on WR250Rs, so they do fit. Maybe you just need to revisit your gearing and chain length.

I can take some measurements tonight, but I run an MT43 on my CRF250L, which has less room, and I've got a WR250R here with a rear tire that is nearly as big, with lots of room to spare. (110/100 Trakmaster II).
I was wondering about this too. I've run my KLX with the shortest chain link number in the past, and it greatly limited the tire size option list...as well as mud clearance...and as well as making wheel removal a bit of a pain. I'm pretty sure a WRR will run a 130/90 with little trouble when the chain length is at a more optimum mid-range adjustment or further out.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,280
The trick will be in the dimensions of where the swingarm mounts to the frame and the pivot bolt dimensions, and I guess the linkage bolt diameters to a lesser degree. Maybe you'll get lucky and the WR swingarm will slot right in.

I went through a similar thought process with my KLX250 but eventually bought a used swingarm off ebay and paid a skilled welder to add some length to it. It was pretty simple being a rectangular section swingarm but the fact that the WRR's swingarm is a D section (IIRC) might complicate matters. Nevertheless it is an option. I have nothing but good to say about the effects it had on my bike and I do have more tire clearance than before. Carefully consider what sort of chain length you need for the sprocket combo you use because in the final analysis the distance between the drive sprocket and your rear axle depends on your chain length.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
TNC
Candyass Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
The trick will be in the dimensions of where the swingarm mounts to the frame and the pivot bolt dimensions, and I guess the linkage bolt diameters to a lesser degree. Maybe you'll get lucky and the WR swingarm will slot right in.

I went through a similar thought process with my KLX250 but eventually bought a used swingarm off ebay and paid a skilled welder to add some length to it. It was pretty simple being a rectangular section swingarm but the fact that the WRR's swingarm is a D section (IIRC) might complicate matters. Nevertheless it is an option. I have nothing but good to say about the effects it had on my bike and I do have more tire clearance than before. Carefully consider what sort of chain length you need for the sprocket combo you use because in the final analysis the distance between the drive sprocket and your rear axle depends on your chain length.
Yeah, UG, but now your bike looks like one of those hillclimbing specialty rigs.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Yeah, UG, but now your bike looks like one of those hillclimbing specialty rigs.
Oh it does not!
Old 08-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #10
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,430
The F swing arm will not fit the R. But My wife runs MT43's on her F and her R. Plenty of room on either.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #11
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post

I run an MT43 with a 46T with 113 links. It is far back. I just would like some more mud clearance. You know, some of the mud that has a lot of rocks in it kinda gets lodged in there. It is OK, but ultimately what I am trying to do is get the WRF swing arm with the YZF rear shock.

As I'm typing this I am thinking I should just revalve and say F it. Thanks everyone for your replys. I had hoped someone had tried this. I'm not going to take on the project, be the first to try it, and just mess up the bike lol.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #12
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieg View Post
The F swing arm will not fit the R. But My wife runs MT43's on her F and her R. Plenty of room on either.

Southern IL!!!!!!

We are few and far between!
Old 08-20-2014, 08:29 AM   #13
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 730
When converting YZ85's and RM85's to "supermini's" (going from 17"/14" wheels to 19"/16" wheels) the more common way of extending the swingarm is using longer dropouts (where the axle slides through the swingarm.) You cut the weld out of the existing dropouts, fit the new/ longer ones in and weld it back up. It is every bit as strong as stock but 3/4" longer. Nobody would ever know it wasn't factory when it's done. I know there is a member on KTMtalk "steve711" that machines these pieces, if you're registered over there, I'd give him a shout and see what he thinks about your WRR.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #14
ggamster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
When converting YZ85's and RM85's to "supermini's" (going from 17"/14" wheels to 19"/16" wheels) the more common way of extending the swingarm is using longer dropouts (where the axle slides through the swingarm.) You cut the weld out of the existing dropouts, fit the new/ longer ones in and weld it back up. It is every bit as strong as stock but 3/4" longer. Nobody would ever know it wasn't factory when it's done. I know there is a member on KTMtalk "steve711" that machines these pieces, if you're registered over there, I'd give him a shout and see what he thinks about your WRR.
That is one hell of an idea. Sounds perfect and easy!!! Thanks!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #15
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
I run an MT43 with a 46T with 113 links. It is far back. I just would like some more mud clearance. You know, some of the mud that has a lot of rocks in it kinda gets lodged in there. It is OK, but ultimately what I am trying to do is get the WRF swing arm with the YZF rear shock.

As I'm typing this I am thinking I should just revalve and say F it. Thanks everyone for your replys. I had hoped someone had tried this. I'm not going to take on the project, be the first to try it, and just mess up the bike lol.
What's the difference between a WRF swingarm and a YZF swingarm? What's the difference between a WRF shock and a YZF shock? Other than the spring, witch is totally too stiff for anything but MX. And BTW the WRF or YZF shock it not easily installed on a WRR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
YES. This is the easy way to do it! (if it needed to be done)