Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #256
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
I'm still really a two-stroke novice, but I would say "yes".

Before I bought my 300, a really nice guy let me test ride three of his bikes back to back. A KTM 300exc, a newer KTM 250XC-W, and a Yamaha YZ250.
Though I liked the newer 250XC-W, I felt the 300 had a better lower end and you could lug it more. I was amazed by the motor on the YZ250, it felt much more powerful then the either KTM. But it also felt like it would kill me on a tighter trail, though it was really fun on a fire road.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #257
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 558
Its really how the motor is setup to deliver the power - what you probably felt was the MX style setup. The KTM 2-s cross country bikes actually have a pretty wide range of mild to wild in how you can tune the power delivery. The other aspect that is they have a heavier flywheel (good for temping the delivery of the power and reduce chance of stalling).
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #258
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
The yz250 is amazingly pipey in stock form and a handful on tight trails. Add a flywheel weight, adjust jetting and possibly the pipe and it lugs almost like the KTM.

Why is the 08-10 300 better? Suspension, ride height, rake/trail...etc and all that other cool stuff. And, oh yeah, e-start is cool until it dies anyway.

Two strokes of the modern ere by and large are tunable for cheap. That's why they are popular to some degree and also the fact they are cheap to buy and cheap to maintain among other things.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:25 PM   #259
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Yet another newbie question...

I'm looking at trading for a 2000 KTM 300 EXC with a Baja Design light kit - it's currently tagged in Arkansas, and has a title and therefore should be able to be tagged in Missouri. The one picture that is posted also shows a kick-stand, which I guess isn't stock?

Negatives..
He has no idea of the hours on the bike, and he doesn't seem like the type to keep maintenance records. He's not the original owner.

Price...
He's asking $2200.00 - and said he might be able to put some cash on top in trade for my 2000 Ducati Monster.

I had a 2001 KTM LC4 400 (which I traded for the Ducati, last year). The 300EXC would need more upkeep and maintenance than the LC4, but it would also be easier to work on, right?

What's a fair market value for the 2000 300 EXC? How much value does being tagged add to the bike?

http://fayar.craigslist.org/mcy/2151674399.html

Thanks in advance.

M.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #260
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosso View Post
He has no idea of the hours on the bike, and he doesn't seem like the type to keep maintenance records. He's not the original owner.
The above would make me walk away. It would have to be a ~$1000 deal for me to consider it. If it was clean, knowledgeable owner, I'd say maybe $1500. I've no clue what the licence plate adds, lots to some people, nothing to others.

FYI: The following is in the KTMTalk classifieds right now for $2350 (Aiken,South Carolina). Not my bike, just provided for price comparison. It's a good place to get an idea on prices though most are not street legal.

2006 KTM 300xc in great condition. This bike has lots of goodies like GPR V1 stabilizer with sub mount, gnarly pipe, Steahly 11 oz flywheel weight, tall seat, Works Enduro Rider suspension set for 230 lbs.(also have original springs), but it is VERY plush for that weight. Suspension was just fully serviced with fluid, all seals, and shock bladder replacement less than 3 hours ago. I have a brand new set of graphics that are not on the bike yet but go with it. I just put on a new set of plastic(minus fork guards/air box cover/front number plate). Also have a few misc. parts that will go with bike, as well. Tires need replacing, but I figured if the buyer didn't like what I use, it'd be a waste of money. They have a good bit of tread left, but the back tire has some chunks missing. Also have quite a few spare parts that go with the bike as well. Can help with shipping, but buyer is responsible for all costs. This bike has a clear, NON OFF ROAD ONLY title that should allow it to be tagged and street legal.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #261
yosso
Studly Adventurer

The total lack of maintenance history is also what worries/concerns me...probably going to have to pass. I'll will most likely check out the bike, but unless he puts quite a bit on top the trade probably won't happen.

Great price on that bike on ktmtalk.

Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

M.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:56 PM   #262
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,670
Quote:
I had a 2001 KTM LC4 400 (which I traded for the Ducati, last year). The 300EXC would need more upkeep and maintenance than the LC4, but it would also be easier to work on, right?
More upkeep and maintenance? I would say just the opposite. You'll be changing oil and adjusting valves on the LC4, neither are 10 minute operations.

The 2T gets a transmission oil change every now and then....

KTM 2T's are very reliable, and if it hasn't been kept up all that well, then you're looking at maybe freshening the top end, which despite the spendy KTM pistons....is not a bad deal at all.

I've had a number of plated KTM 2T's and that can add a bit of value to the bike. I think his price is on the high end of good for a 2000.
I'd be worried more about the aging suspension bits, and if you'll have to dig into the heim joint and wheel bearings.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:30 AM   #263
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 916
300 Reliability

The 300s are incredibly durable and will last a very long time before you have to replace the upper end (a couple of hours work and about $450 for the entire piston & gasket kit). It is very hard to determine how the bike has been used (trail riding Vs. full on throttle, whether warmed up before ridden or just jammed in gear and raced) and what maintenance has been done (rear shock oil changed -- about $130 with seals, transmission oil changed, etc.).

If you do not have a lot of offers for your Ducati this may be a chance you would have to take. It could be just fine or it could be pretty costly. Could you ask for a cost-splitting deal if you took the shock in for service and found it was worn out, or the frame or sub-frame was bent, or it needed a complete top end? The seller should assume some responsibility for it if he cannot represent it with certainty regarding its condition. That is, don't let "caveat emptor" bite you.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 AM   #264
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
The 300s are incredibly durable and will last a very long time before you have to replace the upper end (a couple of hours work and about $450 for the entire piston & gasket kit). It is very hard to determine how the bike has been used (trail riding Vs. full on throttle, whether warmed up before ridden or just jammed in gear and raced) and what maintenance has been done (rear shock oil changed -- about $130 with seals, transmission oil changed, etc.).

If you do not have a lot of offers for your Ducati this may be a chance you would have to take. It could be just fine or it could be pretty costly. Could you ask for a cost-splitting deal if you took the shock in for service and found it was worn out, or the frame or sub-frame was bent, or it needed a complete top end? The seller should assume some responsibility for it if he cannot represent it with certainty regarding its condition. That is, don't let "caveat emptor" bite you.

Stu
The owner made it sound like the bike was mainly ridden on the street.

Will be viewing the bike in person this week, hopefully.

If he sweetens the deal enough, I might do the trade, but straight across...I'm not that desperate (yet).
Old 01-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #265
yosso
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The owner made it sound like the bike was mainly ridden on the street.

Will be viewing the bike in person this week, hopefully.

If he sweetens the deal enough, I might do the trade, but straight across...I'm not that desperate (yet).
Saw the bike in person tonight - my gut impression was correct - very, very, rough. Owner seemed like a nice guy, but he's definitely not into maintenance.

Probably going to pass, and keep my eye on the classifieds on ktmtalk.

Thanks again for the words of advice.

Mike
Old 01-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #266
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
I just picked up my new to me '03 300 EXC. It had an added bonus, street title. I'll post some pics. Waiting for the weather to break, we're under snow and ice now.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #267
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
Gratuitous 300 shot...

I'm injured and bored stupid.

So, since smokeeater can't post any pics...

FAT GUY on a little bike...FAT GUY on a little bike...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #268
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,840
Just drank the Koolaid

Hey guys, just picked up a tagged '08 XCWe

It's been awhile since I've owned a 2T so I have some catching up (and learning to do) I already started by reading this thread, lots of good info, thanks

I'm really impressed with the bike so far, can't wait to get it on some singletrack. I have a jet kit coming along with a bigger tank. I figured the 2.9 probably wouldn't cut it with some of the distances we ride out here. My 4 strokes spoiled me in that regard.

I'll post some pictures when I finish doing a few updates.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #269
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
I decided to replace my leaking counter shaft seal today. It was totally fried. I think I'll do the CS sprocket too.

The thing looks like a circular saw blade.

smokeeater495 screwed with this post 03-05-2011 at 01:46 PM
smokeeater495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #270
SilverBullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeeater495 View Post
I decided to replace my leaking counter shaft seal today. I was totally fried.
Hmm...user name is: smokeeater495
already this early today?
You do know it is supposed to be 4:20pm not 4:20am. haha

That CS sprocket is completed toasted as well.

_
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote