Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #46
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,227
Very possible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler
Here's to hoping that KTM delivers 2-strokes with EFI in the next few years or so....
I tell you what...I think you could possibly be right on track.

I saw an interview with one of their engineers. According to that gentleman, their current production (2T) bikes meet "Euro 3" emissions requirements. And, I believe that he said that their next round of ring-dingers (2011?) will meet "Euro 4".

If I had been given the above info. by one of my buddies, I woulda' told him that he was full of it, and argued with him until the beer ran-out. However, considering the source, I was pretty impressed. It sure seems that KTM is fully committed to the longevity of the 2-stroke experience.

When I got my 300, I was surprised by the mix ratio (60:1). When I was a kid (during the Civil War), all 2T bikes were around the 32:1 range. (I can't exactly remember...But, I think my last CR500 was in the 40:1 range...or maybe that was my gas trimmer...) Anyway, I'm sure KTM's low ratio number has something to do with their ability to meet such stringent requirements. You gotta' hand it to them for advancing 2-stroke tech.

Either way, it's great that KTM is still doing great things with the 2-stroke, in my very humble opinion.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 01-15-2010 at 04:08 PM
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #47
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ
I tell you what...I think you could possibly be right on track.

I saw an interview with one of their engineers. According to that gentleman, their current production (2T) bikes meet "Euro 3" emissions requirements. And, I believe that he said that their next round of ring-dingers (2011?) will meet "Euro 4".

If I had been given the above info. by one of my buddies, I woulda' told him that he was full of it, and argued with him until the beer ran-out. However, considering the source, I was pretty impressed. It sure seems that KTM is fully committed to the longevity of the 2-stroke experience.
Sprichst du Deutsch?

I think the video below is the one you are talking about. Towards the 7 min mark the guy says that they are currently meeting Euro 3, they will meet Euro 4 and if they want to, they could meet Euro 5 as well on both 2/4-strokes. They will continue to innovate and are already working on "alternatives to carbs for fueling".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICxqq...layer_embedded
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:56 PM   #48
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM690Dog
My father-in law rides an older KTM 300. He's a madman at 79 but has slowed down enough in the last couple of years that I able to just keep up with on my 690e.

He is looking for a new 300 with electric start and wants to get it street legal in Colorado or Arizona. Can this be done in either state?

Thanks
In AZ you can put a rocket engine on a skateboard add a headlight and a taillight and they give you a plate! Just take it to one of the title agents not DMV and you are in and out with a plate in 5 minutes.
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

KTM SUPER ENDURO

RedlegDaddy screwed with this post 01-15-2010 at 05:57 PM
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #49
badcooky
I see dumb people!

Oddometer: 1,129
THE KTM 300 IS NOT A THUMPER.
It's a good bike though.
badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #50
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcooky
THE KTM 300 IS NOT A THUMPER.
It's a good bike though.
Good for you but who cares? You already said the same thing before.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #51
GasGas300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie
I do have to admit there is one thing I see with the 300s that really is hard to ignore which is the placement of the expansion chamber.

How many of you 300 owners have squished, bent or mangled your expansion chambers?

I can't see where else it may be routed though.
I saw a nice plastic skid plate/pipe protector made by hyde racing -- the two are integrated into one system and it looks like it protects the pipe very well - has anyone used on of these - their web site is www.hyderacing.com
GasGas300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #52
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Sprichst du Deutsch?
You know, Lukas, life is not fair. I could probably Google "KTM", all day long, and never come-up with something cool to watch. Thanks for sharing the link. I really enjoyed it. In fact, I may have to watch it a couple more times.

However, I wanna' say that the footage, that I saw (discussing KTM's two-strokes), was "filler" for some race that I was watching (if I remember correctly). And, I believe that it was another (KTM) guy who was being interviewed.

If y'all can oblige me for a few seconds...

I love to hear their company guys speak about their daily work. They have that PASSION that they don't even bother trying to conceal (because you would see it anyway). Their words don't seem contrived, like an advertisement...Just right there...Here's who we are, and here's what we do.

They remind me of the Soichiro Honda, Hirotake Arai, and "Pops" Yoshimura types of old...innovators, perfectionists, and fanatics. Hell, in the vid., one of the guys even says that they are "fanatics".

I hope that KTM stays true to their "Ready to Race" roots and philosophy, and never gets the urge to water-down their products because of some outside (or inside) influence. Their commitment to their brand is the reason why my garage is turning ORANGE...

Sorry for my rambling...Back to the 3-honey.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #53
badcooky
I see dumb people!

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Good for you but who cares? You already said the same thing before.
And what section are we in?
Thumpers that's it so it shouldn't even be here.
Moderators,what's the dealio?
badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:37 AM   #54
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcooky
And what section are we in?
Thumpers that's it so it shouldn't even be here.
Moderators,what's the dealio?
The dealio is that Thumpers is where people post about ALL single cylinder bikes on Advrider, regardless whether they thump or not. The mods don't want/need to create another subforum just for 2-strokes as they fit well in here and there is not too many of them.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:30 AM   #55
womboin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Hyde bash plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas300
I saw a nice plastic skid plate/pipe protector made by hyde racing -- the two are integrated into one system and it looks like it protects the pipe very well - has anyone used on of these - their web site is www.hyderacing.com
Have a Hyde on a 200exc and 300exc.The 200 is one of my sons bikes and has been through the wringer.The pipe guard has some pretty nasty gouges in it but not a mark on the pipe.
womboin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #56
GasGas300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hardparts Fan kit

I notice KTM has a accessory fan kit for the 300 - I ride with a guy that has a 450 and it was a must for his bike - Does the 300 need to have this also if it is being ridden on slow tight single track?
Old 01-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #57
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
I notice KTM has a accessory fan kit for the 300 - I ride with a guy that has a 450 and it was a must for his bike - Does the 300 need to have this also if it is being ridden on slow tight single track?
Some may argue this about the 300's (vs the 250, and for that the answer is almost always no...). The 4-s can really use the fan for that kind of riding. The 2-s are much more forgiving when it comes to the heat issue. If you're slipping the clutch like mad for long distances, then anything can boil. Most of it of comes down to the bike set up matching the terrain, and rider technique plays into it too. If you're riding in really nasty terrain, then set the bike up with the right gearing, power valve settings, and consider a G2 throttle cam to make it more tractor-like (less reliance on slipping clutch). It wouldn't hurt on any of those bikes to change the radiator fluid out to something like Engine-ice or Evans.
Para504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #58
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie
I can tell you I'd love to have the street legal package they sell across the pond.
It is pretty easy to do with bits and pieces from KTM, TrailTech Enduro Engineering, and Sicass. Mine started out as a 2008 300 XC that had been raced by someone else.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:54 PM   #59
GasGas300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack
It is pretty easy to do with bits and pieces from KTM, TrailTech Enduro Engineering, and Sicass. Mine started out as a 2008 300 XC that had been raced by someone else.

Nice looking bike - I have a question about the speedo - Who makes it and where did you get the mount? Does it use and magnetic pickup? I will be needing one for my XC - I wish the XC came with one like the XCW does. I looked into buying the XCW setup from KTM, but its too $$$$
Old 01-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #60
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nice looking bike - I have a question about the speedo - Who makes it and where did you get the mount? Does it use and magnetic pickup? I will be needing one for my XC - I wish the XC came with one like the XCW does. I looked into buying the XCW setup from KTM, but its too $$$$
Trailtech Vector. Look into the Vapor as well, I prefer it for a dual sport bike.