Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #766
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Thanks for the support...or lack there of.

The motor was not open for any length of time....only when working on it.

Nothing was dropped in there, as far as I know. No missing parts, clips, etc. Everything is accounted for.

There was coolant in bike. heat cycled, as as I did on the other rebuilds. Only other thing than the previous, those were done in heat of summer, and this was during colder, more recent weather.

Basically, I did nothing different than I did on previous top end rebuilds. Makes it that much more baffling.

Hey old pal,,,,did you flush the cases totaly before you put it together.
That was something caught between the piston/rings and clynder.
I had a bike years ago,that i had someone else rebuild.And after couple hundred miles i heard a bad,bad noise.
Pulled it apart and it looked like someone went to town with a diegrinder.
Come to find out the fucktard dropped a circlip in the case while putting one of the pistons in,and instead of spliting the cases to fish it out,,he just got another and put the motor together.
The pistons looked just like that.Took awhile to figure it out,cause i had all the parts it was supposed to have.
Just say'n.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #767
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
@ John: Wiseco piston. Ill have to pull plug and look at it again. O did pull it to see if it was white....indicating a lean condition. It was dark...IIRC.

@ Scott : the bottom end was totally redone by Andrew Cooksey when I redid bike. He does great work and bottom end came back like new. I did top end and installed in bike. I had about 20 hrs on that topend but then developed a lean condition that I was chasing after tuning it one day. I had gotten a big airleak and was thinking it was the base gasket ..so I decidedif to change it. Other than running lean, mechanically, it was strong and ran well.

Consensus is something got stuck in there between piston and wall

..but what remains to be seen.

Bike is maxed out on worth vs what I have in it. So now, my issue is do I put the money it needs to run right again ...$400- 500 more????

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
DougZ73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #768
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Bike is maxed out on worth vs what I have in it. So now, my issue is do I put the money it needs to run right again ...$400- 500 more????
Current value with a jacked up engine?
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #769
De250r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Good thread makes me want a 300.

Sent from the back woods of vt via patchy Internet
Live free and ride hard
De250r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #770
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,868
Hey guys. I may want to freshen up the plastic on my '09.
Where are you guys getting plastic? OEM? Can I get something other than the stock orange for an '09?
How about graphics? Who are you buying from?

Thanks!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #771
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,855
SX head?

I was going to put an SX head on my '11 300 XC-W. The higher compression is supposed to boost low end torque, especially at our high altitude.

I was chatting with a guy on the trail this weekend who had done the mod. His already miserable gas mileage got worse. This might dissuade me.

Anyone else have experience on gas mileage differences? I've finally got my jetting sorted out, and I'm still disappointed with the mileage. I'm not sure the additional torque would be worth the decreased range.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #772
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Hey guys. I may want to freshen up the plastic on my '09.
Where are you guys getting plastic? OEM? Can I get something other than the stock orange for an '09?
How about graphics? Who are you buying from?

Thanks!
Acerbis makes aftermarket in multiple colors. They should be available from the major mail order places.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #773
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I was going to put an SX head on my '11 300 XC-W. The higher compression is supposed to boost low end torque, especially at our high altitude.

I was chatting with a guy on the trail this weekend who had done the mod. His already miserable gas mileage got worse. This might dissuade me.

Anyone else have experience on gas mileage differences? I've finally got my jetting sorted out, and I'm still disappointed with the mileage. I'm not sure the additional torque would be worth the decreased range.
I get around 32+ MPG in average dirt. It may go a little less in WFO desert sand, but not a whole lot less. I think that is great.
Stock head, JD jetting, gnarly pipe.

Thanks for the reply on the plastic!
Old 11-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #774
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,017
I like these guys graphics kits.

http://www.ridepg.com/
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #775
Wallace
Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer: 831
Gordy, have good luck with Munn for oem plastic (Acerbis) in multiple colors.Use your KTM talk discount. Also Ride PG for graphics as they will make custom including complete "gripper" style.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #776
Gordy
Team Listo

Thanks guys for the ideas.

I came across this for the 690. Siiiick!

http://www.graphickitsdepot.com/inde...s&p=323&i=9877
Old 11-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #777
Wallace
Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer: 831
That's so you.......
Old 01-10-2013, 05:37 AM   #778
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Just a head's up for anyone interested. I am going to be selling my 98 KTM 300 EXC...as seen in posts in this thread. Needs new top end/replated cylinder. That is the bad, the good is its a legally plated two stroke in NJ.

Reason: Just had a kid, and have no time to ride, not to mention time to fix this, nor the money....so I shall part ways with it, to someone that can use it, instead of it rotting to death in my shed.

Full disclosure about bike can be seen in all my posting in this thread.

I have a tentative offer from riding buddy of a riding buddy. If that falls through, I will be putting it up on here first...and will link my flea market thread.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #779
AMCJEEP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Congratulations on the kid!!

And definitely let us know on the sale. I know of a couple of people that may be interested me being one.
AMCJEEP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #780
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCJEEP View Post
Congratulations on the kid!!

And definitely let us know on the sale. I know of a couple of people that may be interested me being one.
Thanks, will do. If I don't hear from him by weekend, I'll probably make for sale post.