Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #76
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 20,741
For jetting, I got a JD jetting kit, installed the jets for my altitude and then had to drop the needle one clip and it's perfect.
I go back and forth between the red and green spring but am changing to a gnarley pipe next week so everything could change.

Jetting a two stroke is not hard but it is necessary to take the time to study what you are doing, write everything down and try a bunch of things to see what works. I'm not super anal about it so I was really happy that the JD kit worked with only one small change.

If you can't tune out the violent surge with the jetting have someone dis-assemble your PV and check it out for worn parts.

The 300 can be tuned for an incredibly wide and smooth power band. Mine is unbelievably torquey, so I am putting a pipe on to see if I can get more!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #77
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb
Jetting:
For what it's worth, Jeff Slavens recommended the following jetting for a 6K-10K altitude stock '06 300...
  • n8rw needle, 2 clip down.
  • 42 pilot
  • 145 main
  • 1-1.5 turns out air screw
Hey pfb,

Thanks for chiming-in, buddy...always appreciate your input. I don't suppose you'd have any super-secret recipes for a 650'-above-sea-level bike? You're up in the mountains, and I'm down in Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
...If you can't tune out the violent surge with the jetting have someone dis-assemble your PV and check it out for worn parts...
Gordy,

I think I'm going to go-ahead and play with this "jetting" thing...see how I do. As far as the PV, I don't know...the bike is pretty new. I just happen to be one of those lucky people, with mad skills, who almost killed himself after eight weeks of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
...Mine is unbelievably torquey, so I am putting a pipe on to see if I can get more!
Isn't that how the madness always starts? Let the beatings begin.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:01 AM   #78
RickA
Fat Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
UK 300 Bike

Hi guys,

I have an elec start 300, road legal over here, fantastic bike.

Out of the box, it ran like a dog, even with the help of my local dealer it was still not perfect.

Installed the JD jet kit - fantastic! Transformed the bike, loads of torque low down, smooth power with the true 2-stroke manic hit at the top end. The most fun bike I have ever had!

Fitted the larger KTM tank, harder rear spring ( they are very soft as standard ) and a fan. The Recluse clutch is the icing on the cake, making a good bike great.

Would reccomend these bikes to anyone - regardless of their ability - as the bike can be ridden hard or easy and once set up correcly, shouldn't bite.

Go get one!

Cheers, Rick.
RickA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:51 AM   #79
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Thanks LILBIT...damn good information. I really appreciate you responding.

Can I try that red spring with the stock can? I was always under the impression that I had to have the SX/SXS can to "play" with the red spring.
Sorry but i don't know what you mean by can? All springs interchange with no other mod.

Glance back at my last post about the PV screw adjuster for an edit please. It's been awhile since i got rid of my 300 and my memory faded.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #80
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
Sorry but i don't know what you mean by can? All springs interchange with no other mod...
Sorry...my bad

I was talking about the exhaust canister/silencer. I was under the impression you had to integrate the red spring with a different silencer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
...It's been awhile since i got rid of my 300...
What's that about?...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 01-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #81
ErricZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
Trailtech Vector. Look into the Vapor as well, I prefer it for a dual sport bike.
Thanks for the recommendation, Fun Mart Cycle in Moline, IL had 2 of the Endurance models left for $40. They now had only 1 left. :) Just what I was looking for except the tacho ... and honestly, I don't think I'll miss it much.
ErricZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #82
ErricZ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcooky
And what section are we in?
Thumpers that's it so it shouldn't even be here.
Moderators,what's the dealio?
So, pray tell, in which forum is this post supposed to be? OrangeCrush is for KTM v-twins, right? So then this forum is for single-cyl "4-strokes" only? Sorry but there is no single cylinder, 2-stroke specific forum that I can find, in fact, if you bothered to read the rules of this forum it says to post here.

If it has one cylinder (2 or 4 stroke), you're welcome to talk about it here. Technical questions and rider opinions about particular models, along with widgets specific for use on a Thumper. You know, that sorta stuff - bring it on.

Case closed, please don't waste your breath anymore.

ErricZ screwed with this post 01-23-2010 at 05:01 PM
Old 01-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #83
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 20,741
Hey guys,

I put a IMS 3.7G tank on my '09 300 today and the left shroud doesn't fit.

Do you have to trim the top of it? It looks like that is the only way but I want to check here before I start carving on it.

Thanks!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #84
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,263
While were on that subject... I just bought the 25L Acerbis super-tanker for my '06 450 EXC (making it a kinda sorta a rally bike wannabe). It has a 13L on it now.

Does anybody know if the 13L Acerbis tank (stock on an '06 450 XC) will fit my '06 300 XC?
Old 01-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #85
GasGas300 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErricZ
So, pray tell, in which forum is this post supposed to be? OrangeCrush is for KTM v-twins, right? So then this forum is for single-cyl "4-strokes" only? Sorry but there is no single cylinder, 2-stroke specific forum that I can find.
Please read the rules for 'thumpers" - It's a sticky on the top of the first page. This is where this topic belongs.
GasGas300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #86
ErricZ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas300
Please read the rules for 'thumpers" - It's a sticky on the top of the first page. This is where this topic belongs.
Yep, I just edited my post :) 'badcooky' obviously needs to do likewise.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #87
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ

What's that about?...
I ran a 380 after it then went to a 525 for better streetability. I didn't mind the two strokes that bad on the road except for the 5 speed. The 525MXC is now a 540EXC and i do believe it's a good compromise for me.

If i ran offroad only i'd run a 300.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #88
Death Dealer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Anyone riding these days? Pics please!
1982 Yamaha Maxim - sold
Death Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #89
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Dealer
Anyone riding these days? Pics please!
+1000

My 300 is pretty new, and I am injured. Therefore, I have a psuedo-excuse as to why I have no recent photos, and "file photos".

Some of you guys are stuck in a winter from hell, which would explain your lack of recent photos. But, what about your "file photos"? Just sayin'...

Old 02-03-2010, 04:53 AM   #90
Pom
Old fart on big bike

Oddometer: 157
What is the difference between the 250 & 300 models

Excuse my lack of knowledge, I am thinking of buying one of this baby KTMs and was wondering what the differences between the 250 and 300 are - apart from the extra 50cc that is...........
cheers
Pom