Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #1051
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
So, the never ending DougZ 300 EXC engine rebuild. This is still ongoing since I have barely had time to look at this motor, much less rebuild it. Not to mention not a whole lot of funds for parts.

But, there are my options, using a good used cylinder I got off ebay:

1. Put motor back together with a good shape used piston I got from a member here, but have to put out !$124 for rings, wrist pin and circlips( stock).

OR

2. Put motor back together, but the piston kit from engine builder, Cooksey for ~$160, that comes with all that including a brand new piston, (Wiseco), and save the other piston for a rainy day rebuild.

I think for a difference of $36 the answer is easy, but still curious what you guys think I should do??
As long as its apart,I would go hog wild with the 36.00 and get a new piston.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #1052
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie025 View Post
I'm in The replacement for my beloved 2013 250EXC SDays has arrived...
NICE! I have put my 09 200XCW up for sale and just zipped down and picked up a 2014 300XCW as well. I thought about a 2014 250 Husaberg but in the end the 300 won out.

Ive tried my darndest to get on the 4 stroke band wagon for trails but Ive given it up. Ive tried a few sizes and they are just plain hogs compared to a good 2 stroke.

So far Ive got the Q-Stealth muffler,Acerbis skidplate,E-line pipe guard,EE Handguards but havent had the bike out of the yard yet.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #1053
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig06 View Post
All you need is the magneto cover from a non-estart 300, and the gasket. After that, just remove what ever else you do not want to carry around (like the battery and the harness). Just be sure to put everything else in a box as it has value on the open market or to whom ever buys the bike from you the day you decide to sell.

If your interested, try installing the latest 300 starter ('13 or '14). KTM redesigned the starter and now it spins the motor a lot faster! With that and a JD jet kit I can now start my bike stone cold with just the starter. I do have a Ballastic Lithium EV02 battery, although the stock battery that's always placed on a tender after every ride will be just as good ~ but not as light.
I like the 2014 starter a lot,it starts so quick its amazing.
Very handy on edge of doom trails or when out building trails.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #1054
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig06 View Post
As we all know, newer is better when buying a bike. That said, if you are considering a 300 the only really note worthy change that I can see (besides eStarting) is that in '98 they finally got a good ignition system (reliable with a nice advance curve), that's when the 300 really became a good bike. So unless you really like the bike, even if it's free, get a '98 or newer.

Yes, over the years things like electric start did change the game for some, but the kick only models like to talk about being lighter and easier to work on.

New my '12 XC-w didn't come with a headlight, spent just under 150 to get them (simple headlight and tail light). But that's enough to make it legal for me to ride the side roads around the ORV trails (some of them). The actual cost for you to upgrade a 300 that doesn't have lights depends on if the model has a working stator and the quality of lights needed and even if it had them at one time. Surf Baja Designs when ever you find a possible 300, then you'll know what your in for.
I had a 96 300EXC,and as I remember the 97's got the Kokusan ignition.
96 had the S.E.M. semi reliable ignition.

But yeah newer is better/lighter/more reliable/more sorted details/better running engine/better suspension. Ive had KTM's since 78 and they have always stuck together well for me.

An 02 or 04 would feel pretty antique after riding a 13 or 14.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #1055
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,759
Quote:
So, the never ending DougZ 300 EXC engine rebuild. This is still ongoing since I have barely had time to look at this motor, much less rebuild it. Not to mention not a whole lot of funds for parts.

But, there are my options, using a good used cylinder I got off ebay:

1. Put motor back together with a good shape used piston I got from a member here, but have to put out !$124 for rings, wrist pin and circlips( stock).

OR

2. Put motor back together, but the piston kit from engine builder, Cooksey for ~$160, that comes with all that including a brand new piston, (Wiseco), and save the other piston for a rainy day rebuild.

I think for a difference of $36 the answer is easy, but still curious what you guys think I should do??
I avoid wiseco's in a 2T, in past years their forged pistons had more material near the crown resulting in more heat expansion so they tapered the piston more (slightly smaller diameter in the crown area compared to OEM) which makes for a motor that rattled when cold and had a heavier piston. They are still forged but I don't know if they've addressed that characteristic. I've avoided them ever since.

Andrew's pretty sharp so I doubt he'd offer a crappy piston but I'd check.

BTW, I just checked Munn, it's $103 for 2 rings, clips, brg, pin including head orings and base gasket + shipping
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #1056
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I avoid wiseco's in a 2T, in past years their forged pistons had more material near the crown resulting in more heat expansion so they tapered the piston more (slightly smaller diameter in the crown area compared to OEM) which makes for a motor that rattled when cold and had a heavier piston. They are still forged but I don't know if they've addressed that characteristic. I've avoided them ever since.

BTW, I just checked Munn, it's $103 for 2 rings, clips, brg, pin including head orings and base gasket + shipping
Wow..can you send me a link to that deal? Munns??

I went cheaper when Andrew did the bottom end of motor for me, and decided to go with the Wiseco/Profex? top end kit( I was doing topend myself), as opposed to stock.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #1057
ProMed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:

I purchased a top-end kit from Cooksey last month for an 08 300 and it came with a Vertex size B. He has listings up on ktmtalk if anyone is interested in what all he includes.

He was great to deal with, even emailed pics of each item I purchased as he was packing them. andrewqc1@verizon.net or 214-850-5620 is what I have for him in my phone.
ProMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #1058
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,759
Quote:
Wow..can you send me a link to that deal? Munns??

I went cheaper when Andrew did the bottom end of motor for me, and decided to go with the Wiseco/Profex? top end kit( I was doing topend myself), as opposed to stock.
Are registered on KTMtalk? If not register then select buy parts up at the top of the page and it'll take you to Munns site. As a KTMT member you get a pretty good discount.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #1059
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Are registered on KTMtalk? If not register then select buy parts up at the top of the page and it'll take you to Munns site. As a KTMT member you get a pretty good discount.
Yeah, I am on there. Thanks for the information RF.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #1060
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,889
I'm in need of fresh plastics for my '00. Anyone have a line on some quality replacements sold as a kit?
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #1061
Just John
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Check here before spending.

http://www.ktmpartshouse.com/fiche_s...002&fveh=10960
Just John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #1062
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Slavens and Munn are hard to beat. I am also trying Surdyke, with free shipping and 20% off--time will tell
Old 11-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #1063
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Egregious View Post
Some pic's of my 300 getting ready for this weekends 24 hour race.
OMG a shoebox fode! Don't know that I could stay away from it for 24hrs.

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #1064
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 2,035
Wtb 300 exc

A plug for my ADV 'bikes' add looking for a magic button 300 EXC.

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #1065
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
A plug for my ADV 'bikes' add looking for a magic button 300 EXC.
I am not a KTM expert, but I think they are all kickers?? At least my model year ranges are. ( 98-03)??