Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #1066
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
I am not a KTM expert, but I think they are all kickers?? At least my model year ranges are. ( 98-03)??

Shit you should be an expert by now.

09 and newer have OEM Estart
,and kick back up.Or the combo of both cause its got a cordless drill battery.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #1067
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,845
ha..LOL.

I did not think they still had the 300 EXC for more current years. Surprised they still make street legal two smokers.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #1068
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
ha..LOL.

I did not think they still had the 300 EXC for more current years. Surprised they still make street legal two smokers.

EXC,XC,XCW,SX,,,,,Tomatoe,tamotto,,don't go get'n anal on me.

Shit,ya don't need a starter anyway.I rode the Hammer without one this year.

By the way,,,if anybodys got a spare KICK STARTER they wanta sell,please let me know.
I took the bolt out of my buddys 08 450EXC kick starter,and we shared.He'd start his bike,id start mine,and throw it in his back pack,got me threw a 110 mile day.And I know other years and models will fit.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #1069
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
ha..LOL.

I'm not sure they do. "Street Legal" of course may depend on the acumen (or lack of it) of your licensing personnel rather than verbiage on the MSO.

But yup, the '09+ (and a few late '08's) EXC 300's are electric start. The ES ain't terribly bad if a 410w starter is substituted for the old 350w one, and the little bushings replaced with some frequency. Best strategy is to do the first start of the day with the kicker, and use the button for the rest of the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post
Shit,ya don't need a starter anyway.I rode the Hammer without one this year.
'Need' is for Bangladesh. 'Want' is for me.

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK

halmc screwed with this post 11-25-2013 at 08:57 AM
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #1070
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,845
Sheet Scotty...you could have borrowed mine. Engine is partially apart on junk room table....has been for months.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #1071
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Quote:
Sheet Scotty...you could have borrowed mine. Engine is partially apart on junk room table....has been for months.

Didn't break it till the end of Saturday.Freak'n thing split right down the middle.
900+ bikes there on sunday,,,and I couldn't find one fucker with a spare,and no one would just loan theres out right because no one trusted there battery,or they had a Rekluse.
Luckily that bike is tight,dialed in and not a staller,so I got away with share'n a kick stater.
Id love to find a used kicker.You'd think KTM made them of gold,when pricing OEM replacement.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #1072
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
I'm not sure they do. "Street Legal" of course may depend on the acumen (or lack of it) of your licensing personnel rather than verbiage on the MSO.

But yup, the '09+ (and a few late '08's) EXC 300's are electric start. The ES ain't terribly bad if a 410w starter is substituted for the old 350w one, and the little bushings replaced with some frequency. Best strategy is to do the first start of the day with the kicker, and use the button for the rest of the ride.

'Need' is for Bangladesh. 'Want' is for me.
All '08s had e-start (major redesign) I've used the starter exclusively since buying the bike 3 years ago, probably put 300 hrs on it. Starter is all stock - high compression head. I finally had to put brushes in it this year and now the bendix is finally starting to go. Still fires up instantly hot w/ the e start but I relented and now give 1 or 2 kicks cold
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #1073
rlsjodin
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
All '08s had e-start (major redesign) I've used the starter exclusively since buying the bike 3 years ago, probably put 300 hrs on it. Starter is all stock - high compression head. I finally had to put brushes in it this year and now the bendix is finally starting to go. Still fires up instantly hot w/ the e start but I relented and now give 1 or 2 kicks cold
My bike (2010 300 xcw)has NEVER been able to start up cold w the elec starter. (purchased used w 25 hrs). Have to kick it. Generally speaking, it'll fire right up at op temp w the button.
I've also found this design to be a high maint item- partic the brushes. Some of that is probably due to where I ride/cond(PacNWet)-the whole system is mounted right in the worst spot you could put an electrical component-right up front in splash zone. I've read from a lot of people the same tale.
otherwise the ktm 300 is the absolute king of single track!
rlsjodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #1074
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

It doesn't get much drier than where I live, humidity is typically 8-10% and 12" of rain is a wet year.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #1075
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just John View Post
Thanks man! Those prices look great! I just tore down my 450 for a top end. At those prices, I'll probably be replacing a few items that I was going to put off because of cost.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #1076
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
All '08s had e-start (major redesign)
I did quite a bit of research on that issue and came to a different conclusion. That said, KTM, like most manufacturers, doesn't flash cut to a new model. The blend in the new with the old, and in fact, occasionally, a hybrid emerges for a while.

No matter, tho, cuz magic button 300's are everywhere.

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #1077
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
I did quite a bit of research on that issue and came to a different conclusion. That said, KTM, like most manufacturers, doesn't flash cut to a new model. The blend in the new with the old, and in fact, occasionally, a hybrid emerges for a while.

No matter, tho, cuz magic button 300's are everywhere.
Yeah I agree with you on models without major changes, I've got an 06 & 07 525 that share parts that were supposed to be updated. But the situation with the 300 is a little different, 08 was a major update, frame, suspension, plastics etc... They all came with e-start, esp since it was a feature new to that year and a major selling point. If you find an '08 300 (EDIT: XCW) without estart, a PO has removed it.

RideFreak screwed with this post 11-25-2013 at 07:11 PM
Old 11-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #1078
Harley Beemer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Almost correct.

08' XC model was not E start.

Only xcw that year.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #1079
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Yeah I agree with you on models without major changes, I've got an 06 & 07 525 that share parts that were supposed to be updated. But the situation with the 300 is a little different, 08 was a major update, frame, suspension, plastics etc... They all came with e-start, esp since it was a feature new to that year and a major selling point. If you find an '08 300 without estart, a PO has removed it.
Nope, only the XC-W(e) came with electric start in 2008. Here's a pretty good article on the 2008 KTM 300's and an explanation on the electric start.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...e-ar51586.html
zig06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #1080
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig06 View Post
Nope, only the XC-W(e) came with electric start in 2008. Here's a pretty good article on the 2008 KTM 300's and an explanation on the electric start.

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...e-ar51586.html
I incorrectly assumed we were talking the XCW, yes the XCs didn't get it till '09