Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #1081
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I avoid wiseco's in a 2T, in past years their forged pistons had more material near the crown resulting in more heat expansion so they tapered the piston more (slightly smaller diameter in the crown area compared to OEM) which makes for a motor that rattled when cold and had a heavier piston. They are still forged but I don't know if they've addressed that characteristic. I've avoided them ever since.

Andrew's pretty sharp so I doubt he'd offer a crappy piston but I'd check.

BTW, I just checked Munn, it's $103 for 2 rings, clips, brg, pin including head orings and base gasket + shipping
All forged pistons are set up with about twice the clearance of a cast piston,hence the noise when cold.
If I do put a piston in a KTM I get OEM,they seem to last and last.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:24 AM   #1082
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 2,034
Six speed on 250/300's

Am I correct in believing that KTM began to offer the six speed transmission in the 25o/300's in 2012? If yes, was it for all models with that engine?

I'm thinking seriously about moving from my 540 and 300 exc's to a single bike, and am considering the 300 XCW as well as the four stroke 350 XCF‑W.

Trouble is, even tho' my present 300 is a '99 -- it's hard for me to believe any bike could be more fun, handle better or be more suited to my riding. However I thought the same decades ago about my seven speed Hercules 250 GS, and was very wrong then, and perhaps as wrong now.

And my 540 has the handling and some serious power, but not the nimbleness of the 300.

So the new 300's present the two stroke advantages with the magic button, but the 350 presents efi, no mixing gas, and a bit more legitimacy in the street-legal department.

I have the paralysis of analysis, I fear. Help me out, I'd particularly like to hear from those (if any) who have changed from '99 era EXC 300 to a '12 or '13. Or from those who have experience with the current 300 and 350 offerings. But all comments, slanderous or otherwise, welcomed.

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK

halmc screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 04:39 AM
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:23 AM   #1083
lowbudget
_twin brothers on the go_

Oddometer: 324
The 2Stroke EXC´s in Europe had the sixth gear box since 2011.

I had a 1998 EGS 300, 2003 EGS 250, 2009 EXC 300 and now ride a 2012 EXC 250 - The difference between those bikes is noticeable (obviously). The step from 5 to 6 gears is a real advantage in my eyes. I always felt like the ratio between 4th an fitfh gear was way too long on the 09 model.

I cant´s say the same for the 98 an 03 as I didn´t really get out of second gear much due to being a novice when I had them.
Kawasaki: KLR 600 - #1 1984; #2 1989
KTM EXC 250 2012
Beta: 300RR 2014, Rev 3 270 2005
TM 144EN 2009
lowbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #1084
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post

"I have the paralysis of analysis"

Great phrase!. Seems to be the story of my life!

GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #1085
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,990
Quote:
Am I correct in believing that KTM began to offer the six speed transmission in the 25o/300's in 2012? If yes, was it for all models with that engine?
Same for US. 2011 was first year of the six speed. 2008 was the first year of E-start for 2-strokes.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #1086
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,061
FWIW, my starter finally died on mine last year and I had already put a new bendix in the year before.
I bought the new style starter (that is stronger) and it really cranks the bike now!
I have a Shorai battery as well.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #1087
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Starter / flywheel puller

Gordy, I've a friend with an '08 300 EXC. I f*rted around with his old setup for months and no matter how well it was lubed, etc., it never worked worth a hoot. The 410w starter made a tremendous difference and it has now worked well for about a year and still going strong.

On another note: does anyone know whether the flywheel puller for the RFS four strokes is same as that for 300 two strokes?

Old 11-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #1088
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,990
Quote:
Gordy, I've a friend with an '08 300 EXC. I f*rted around with his old setup for months and no matter how well it was lubed, etc., it never worked worth a hoot. The 410w starter made a tremendous difference and it has now worked well for about a year and still going strong.

On another note: does anyone know whether the flywheel puller for the RFS four strokes is same as that for 300 two strokes?
Having just bought a flywheel puller for my RFS 4s, I can tell you the same puller is spec'd for the 2011 300EXC. Flywheel uses 26x1mm external threads.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #1089
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

I live in the mountains and am wondering about riding a bike without an E-start. If/when I stall or crash it's most likely going to be on a steep hill. 50% of the time the bike will be facing the "wrong direction" for kicking, which will be a real PITA in those situations I'd think.

As a kid I used to love kick starting my bikes, but I didn't live & ride steep, narrow, rocky, loose, technical mountain trails. Am I being a sissy? Or are my concerns valid?

There's an 05' 300 nearby in my budget....Should I give it a try, or keep saving?
Old 11-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #1090
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
E start

Being older now and trail riding not racing, I find the e start to be very valuable. Plate it and add an auto clutch and I am a happy guy. Prices on '08s are getting down there. Has to be an XCE (e) or later model XCW XC with e start.

FWIW
Old 11-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #1091
firecrotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I live in the mountains and am wondering about riding a bike without an E-start. If/when I stall or crash it's most likely going to be on a steep hill. 50% of the time the bike will be facing the "wrong direction" for kicking, which will be a real PITA in those situations I'd think.

As a kid I used to love kick starting my bikes, but I didn't live & ride steep, narrow, rocky, loose, technical mountain trails. Am I being a sissy? Or are my concerns valid?

There's an 05' 300 nearby in my budget....Should I give it a try, or keep saving?
they kick over so easy i wouldnt rule it out just for that
firecrotch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #1092
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecrotch View Post
they kick over so easy i wouldnt rule it out just for that
Maybe I will check one out. There's an 05' for $2300 about an hour from here, if it hasn't sold yet.

Does an 05' have the adjustment thing that will tame it down some, till I get used to it?
Old 11-27-2013, 04:32 AM   #1093
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Maybe I will check one out. There's an 05' for $2300 about an hour from here, if it hasn't sold yet.
IMHO whether you opt for ES is a matter of personal taste. But if you do opt for ES on a 300, ensure either that the original starter has been replaced with the 410w, or that it came with one. While some have had good luck with the 350w starter, most (including me) have found it pitifully undersized.

And in either case, I think it's a good practice to do all cold starts with the kicker saving the ES for when it's warm. On its best day, the ES system is marginal. And ya gotta remember than unlike the KTM four strokes, the smoker has no compression release.

If you consider an ES bike on which the starter is not working, you're very likely at least $400 away from a functioning ES, if you do the work yourself, and assuming you replace the starter with a 410w.

I don't know the precise moment KTM began to use the 410w starter but 300 starter lore is discussed at great length over on KTM talk, two strokes.

Here's a thread that discusses the 410w starter. There are others.

halmc screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 04:41 AM
Old 11-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #1094
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,061
Also, consider the frame change in '08. IMO, that made a huge change in the steering manners and to a lesser extent, the overall feel of the bike.

None of us are getting any younger. Buy the newest and bestest that you can get into the garage and still not get a divorce. The kids will figure out college (or not).
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #1095
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
e starting is better

I'm older ~ that's IF you count someone in their late 40's as being "older". That said, I feel that the weight penalty for having eStarting on my '12 300 is more than worth it. I use it all the time, even when I not trying to restart in a tricky section. For me it just adds to the overall enjoyment of riding, after taking a break you just hit the button and go ~ no finding neutral or TDC or getting the kicker into "just the right spot". Nope, I just grab my goggles and hit the button.

It's my personal opinion that if you can afford a bike with electric start and the weight doesn't bother you (it's minimal at best) then go for it!, you only live once.
zig06 is offline   Reply With Quote