Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #1096
zig06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
I don't know the precise moment KTM began to use the 410w starter but 300 starter lore is discussed at great length over on KTM talk, two strokes.

Here's a thread that discusses the 410w starter. There are others.
It's my understanding that the 410w starter came out with the '13 model year 250/300, now even the '14 200 comes with it. A nice bonus is that the 410w starter will bolt into the older models (as you pointed out).
zig06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #1097
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig06 View Post
I'm older ~ that's IF you count someone in their late 40's as being "older". That said, I feel that the weight penalty for having eStarting on my '12 300 is more than worth it. I use it all the time, even when I not trying to restart in a tricky section. For me it just adds to the overall enjoyment of riding, after taking a break you just hit the button and go ~ no finding neutral or TDC or getting the kicker into "just the right spot". Nope, I just grab my goggles and hit the button.

It's my personal opinion that if you can afford a bike with electric start and the weight doesn't bother you (it's minimal at best) then go for it!, you only live once.
+1. Once you are well into your 50's you will be officially old and infirm. E-start, auto clutch, and left hand rear brake makes this a real cheater bike for tough single track.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #1098
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
+1. Once you are well into your 50's you will be officially old and infirm. E-start, auto clutch, and left hand rear brake makes this a real cheater bike for tough single track.

I don't want it "too easy", I have ATVs for that!

Normally, I wouldn't be concerned about kicking, but if the kicker's on the uphill side I'd be screwed.

I'll keep saving....

(Too bad you can't add a starter to an older bike.)
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #1099
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I don't want it "too easy", I have ATVs for that!
Careful, them's fight'n words.

HellSickle screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 12:53 PM
Old 11-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #1100
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig06 View Post
I'm older ~ that's IF you count someone in their late 40's as being "older". That said, I feel that the weight penalty for having eStarting on my '12 300 is more than worth it. I use it all the time, even when I not trying to restart in a tricky section. For me it just adds to the overall enjoyment of riding, after taking a break you just hit the button and go ~ no finding neutral or TDC or getting the kicker into "just the right spot". Nope, I just grab my goggles and hit the button.

It's my personal opinion that if you can afford a bike with electric start and the weight doesn't bother you (it's minimal at best) then go for it!, you only live once.
I agree,sure I can kick it but why? Ive had dirtbikes since 1972 and I like having something different and new that works great!

I was online at Munn Racing and saw a rebuild kit for the 2 stroke E start,it was about 70.00 for the whole kit. Cheaper by far then buying a whole new starter. I bought the 14 model with the stronger starter/battery,1st time Ive tried e start on a 2 stroke but it doesnt take long to get used to it.

But when hanging off the edge of a sketchy sidehill trail I can see it being really,really good. Or stalled in a rocky creek. Or halfway up a steep hill after being blocked by a fellow rider who didnt make it up.
I tried that last sat and it was nice to hit the button,feather the clutch and continue on up the big rock we were climbing.

Im sold.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #1101
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Maybe I will check one out. There's an 05' for $2300 about an hour from here, if it hasn't sold yet.

Does an 05' have the adjustment thing that will tame it down some, till I get used to it?
Make sure it isnt worn to a frazzle like the last 04 300 I bought,it looked nice and shiny but was on it's last legs soon after buying it.
The 08's and up are lighter,handle better,should have electric start if it hasnt been taken off,they just work better.
The 250's work great also,I wouldnt turn one down.

All KTM's have the changeable power valve spring to tone it down a little.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #1102
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmc View Post
Am I correct in believing that KTM began to offer the six speed transmission in the 25o/300's in 2012? If yes, was it for all models with that engine?

I'm thinking seriously about moving from my 540 and 300 exc's to a single bike, and am considering the 300 XCW as well as the four stroke 350 XCF‑W.

Trouble is, even tho' my present 300 is a '99 -- it's hard for me to believe any bike could be more fun, handle better or be more suited to my riding. However I thought the same decades ago about my seven speed Hercules 250 GS, and was very wrong then, and perhaps as wrong now.

And my 540 has the handling and some serious power, but not the nimbleness of the 300.

So the new 300's present the two stroke advantages with the magic button, but the 350 presents efi, no mixing gas, and a bit more legitimacy in the street-legal department.

I have the paralysis of analysis, I fear. Help me out, I'd particularly like to hear from those (if any) who have changed from '99 era EXC 300 to a '12 or '13. Or from those who have experience with the current 300 and 350 offerings. But all comments, slanderous or otherwise, welcomed.
A 99 is an antique,a nice antique sure but an 02 is better,then an 05 is better then that,then an 08 is way better then them all. A 14 seems really nicely detailed out and is the best dirtbike Ive ever owned by a ways so far.

I tried the 4 stroke KTM thing for trails for a while,overheating on steep tight stuff,worries about putting too many hours on the thing,not wanting to pay for rebuilds,extra weight didnt help anything I could see.
350 in particular doesnt have a bunch of low end snap to play with,then they dont have wide enough gearing for going down the road well.

In the end Im a 2 stroke guy,they're too much fun!
Old 11-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #1103
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
A 99 is an antique,a nice antique sure but an 02 is better,then an 05 is better then that,then an 08 is way better then them all. A 14 seems really nicely detailed out and is the best dirtbike Ive ever owned by a ways so far.

I tried the 4 stroke KTM thing for trails for a while,overheating on steep tight stuff,worries about putting too many hours on the thing,not wanting to pay for rebuilds,extra weight didnt help anything I could see.
350 in particular doesnt have a bunch of low end snap to play with,then they dont have wide enough gearing for going down the road well.

I have one of each. A 2011 300, and a 2006 450.

The 450 is great for dual sport rides from my driveway, or 3-4 day dual sport events. When pavement is involved or I need 100+ mile range, you can't beat the 4 stroke. It is a bit more work in the knarly stuff, but much nicer on the roads. A fan kit and 1.8 radiator cap solves the overheating issue (I did both mods to my 300 as well).

Having just torn down the 450 for a new top end, I much prefer doing the top end on the 300. It needs to be done more often, but is a lot easier and cheaper.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #1104
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,837
There's an 09' 250 XC-W for $3000. That's about what I'd like to spend. I'll have to call about it.

Might be a little tricky to get plated in NC, but I'd just 10 minutes from TN. I could borrow a TN buddy's address for a title, if I have to.

Saw a headlight kit for $37 on fleabay, and a cheap-o brakelight & switch shouldn't be too much. Add a beep-beep & it's street legal, right?

Can I still hang out on the 300 thread, or will I get picked on?
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #1105
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Quote:
There's an 09' 250 XC-W for $3000. That's about what I'd like to spend. I'll have to call about it.

Might be a little tricky to get plated in NC, but I'd just 10 minutes from TN. I could borrow a TN buddy's address for a title, if I have to.

Saw a headlight kit for $37 on fleabay, and a cheap-o brakelight & switch shouldn't be too much. Add a beep-beep & it's street legal, right?

Can I still hang out on the 300 thread, or will I get picked on?
Well, you could always put on a 300 jug & piston at the first rebuild. Until then, buy us enough beer & you can be an honary member.

Street legal requirements vary by state. What you mentioned is adequate for Colorado, but not Utah. No idea what NC requires.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #1106
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,769
Quote:

98 - 03 300 EXC is the exact same model, no???? 99 went from cable clutch to hydraulic....only difference I know of.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #1107
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
98 - 03 300 EXC is the exact same model, no???? 99 went from cable clutch to hydraulic....only difference I know of.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2
I just googled pics of 98 and 03,they dont really look the same at all,+ KTM was working harder year after year to get rid of the nagging jetting problems these things used to have. 04 was the year for bore and stroke change and a redesign of many parts.

Detail changes each year,suspension changes,I still think newer is better.
The older the thing is the more chance its been run into the ground.

I had a 96 300EXC I loved to death and rode for 4 years,it weighed 250 lbs dry and I was always fixing something on it,but compared to what I had before,it worked great!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #1108
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,769
Quote:
I just googled pics of 98 and 03,they dont really look the same at all,+ KTM was working harder year after year to get rid of the nagging jetting problems these things used to have. 04 was the year for bore and stroke change and a redesign of many parts.

Detail changes each year,suspension changes,I still think newer is better.
The older the thing is the more chance its been run into the ground.

I had a 96 300EXC I loved to death and rode for 4 years,it weighed 250 lbs dry and I was always fixing something on it,but compared to what I had before,it worked great!
I'm just saying when I order parts for mine, be it motor parts or wear items( I work on mine a lot too, and it is not running more than it is running), I always see the parts listed for 98-03, etc.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #1109
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
I have one of each. A 2011 300, and a 2006 450.

The 450 is great for dual sport rides from my driveway, or 3-4 day dual sport events. When pavement is involved or I need 100+ mile range, you can't beat the 4 stroke. It is a bit more work in the knarly stuff, but much nicer on the roads. A fan kit and 1.8 radiator cap solves the overheating issue (I did both mods to my 300 as well).

Having just torn down the 450 for a new top end, I much prefer doing the top end on the 300. It needs to be done more often, but is a lot easier and cheaper.
Putting a basic top end in a KTM 4 stroke isnt so bad,its more the issue with taking it further down the road and wearing out a crank or the head/trans or both and realizing it costs more to fix then the bike is now worth.
2 friends have gone this route and once 1 realized he had over 20 grand in fixes that didnt take on his 525 it was sold for parts. He blew 1 engine to bits,bought another whole engine,it blew. Rebuilt it and couldnt trust it after that.

Just dont want to keep em TOO long,or ride em too much.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:31 AM   #1110
halmc
Turkey T*urd

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
I was online at Munn Racing and saw a rebuild kit for the 2 stroke E start,it was about 70.00 for the whole kit. Cheaper by far then buying a whole new starter.
Lots cheaper, but when you're all done putting bushings in the bike and brushes in the starter, it'll be good as new - - - which ain't good enough in most folks' opinion, especially mine. That extra 60 watts is more than worth the money. Czech out the post that notes KTM even added them 60 watts to the 250cc bikes.

That said, on a bright, cold morning, it's still best to add your right leg to those 410 watts for the initial startup.

Quote:
I admit that I have more fun on my admittedly antique '99 two stroke. And it is pretty easy to face a rebuild on an RFS that rivals, or even passes the value of the bike. But when it comes to a 180 mile round trip ride to the gulf coast through the Apalachicola National Forest, with lots of logging roads and single track, that RFS is the tits. Maybe I'll just add an '12 or '13 300 to the garage. Don't have kids, but if I did, they'd already have PhD's by now. Or back in central lockup. Or both.

I vaguely remember thinking 40 was old. LOL!

Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names -- JFK

halmc screwed with this post 11-28-2013 at 04:09 AM
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote